U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM

187 posts, read 330,334 times

Advertisements

Hotels will have hair dryers, lotions, soap ,shower caps, shampoo even coffee machines and microwaves !!
But why do they never have a small toothpaste tube in the bathroom ?

I always wonder WHY ???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,671,941 times
That's a pretty darn good point. I never noticed it though since I have to use that anti-sensitivity toothpaste lol.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,520,550 times
Tyrannosaurus Rex is a thief, that's why. Rumor has it that he uses A LOT of toothpaste, but I haven't a clue why.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't really know. Maybe it's a cost savings thing or it's because people usually travel with it.

Hmm..

Quote:
Keep cost of goods/sales down by reducing the amount of guest room ammenities.

As a retired hotel general manager, many of the items you mentioned are not placed as ammenities in guest rooms anymore. You can however, request it from the front desk for free with many hotel chains, Holiday Inn being one of them.

With the rate competition in todays market and the consumers ability to use the internet to shop for rooms, the reduction in cost of goods/sales and labor control are a must for most if not all hotels - even the 4 stars!
Why do hotels not provide toothpaste in the room?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Because they think nobody travels without their own. And they are right.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
Actually hotels in China do provide a small tube of toothpaste as well as toothbrushes for each guest.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:46 AM

15,784 posts, read 9,530,520 times
Most hotels do have travel sizes of other toiletries available, including toothpaste, even if they don't provide them as part of their standard room set-up. If you're traveling and forgot your toothpaste it's worth calling the desk first.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:46 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually hotels in China do provide a small tube of toothpaste as well as toothbrushes for each guest.

In Korea, staying in hotels that did not have private bathrooms, tthere was always a cup in the common bathroom with a bunch of toothbrushes in it, and I got the impression that you could just use one of them if you didn't have your own. I can't imagine that the guests would leave their own toothbrushes in the common cup.

Checking online, I found Chinese trading companies that supply such things. It costs a hotel less than 10-cents US to provide a free disposable toothbrush and tube of toothpaste, even with the hotel monogram on the product.

In China, toothpaste does not contain fluoride, so be sure to take along your own toothpaste if you are visiting China. It is probably fairly common in most third world countries for the local toothpaste to not contain fluoride, and of course the water doesn't either. It is my understanding that your teeth need fluoride regularly, and they become at risk very quickly in a short time without fluoride application.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-21-2012 at 08:01 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,632,781 times
I think it is just because its not in the catalogue for hotel category ratings. Thus, the catalogue says a 4-Star hotel needs to have lotion, shampoo and conditioner but nothing about toothpaste, so companies simply don't need to buy it.

However there is toothpaste avaliable for free at many hotel chains at the reception, for example at Holiday-Inn Express. Once I got a whole set of a shaver, a toothpaste and some other things at check-in.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 AM

9,182 posts, read 16,656,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Most hotels do have travel sizes of other toiletries available, including toothpaste, even if they don't provide them as part of their standard room set-up. If you're traveling and forgot your toothpaste it's worth calling the desk first.
Exactly, the front desk will have most toilet items available.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,806,866 times
What cracked me up at a hotel 6 months ago was that their shop sold miniature packets of painkillers like Tylenol or Aspirin BUT you needed a pair of scissors to get into the damn things! You couldn't tear them open with hands or teeth! But nobody travels with scissors any more and of course there weren't any in the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or