U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:30 AM

19,788 posts, read 19,895,713 times

Advertisements

Wow! I consider us as boring non-travelers and am surprised we have seen about 40% of the places listed.
That would also indicate how unimaginative we are, too, wouldn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
Good choices everyone, although there is definitely an American/Western (civ) cultural bias going on regarding the relative appreciation of Western nature vs. Eastern. If the U.S. had been settled west to east instead of the other way around, the whole lower Hudson Valley would be a National Park From the Catskills to the Battery in Manhattan :-)

Anyway, these lists would be well conflated with the recent thread about America being a mediocre travel destination.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:01 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,827,196 times
Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive
Niagara Falls
Lake Michigan dunes
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Charleston, South Carolina
Florida Keys
The Smithsonian Institution
Santa Claus, Indiana
Thurmond, West Virginia
Centralia, Pennsylvania

Old 08-25-2012, 05:32 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,662,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Good choices everyone, although there is definitely an American/Western (civ) cultural bias going on regarding the relative appreciation of Western nature vs. Eastern. If the U.S. had been settled west to east instead of the other way around, the whole lower Hudson Valley would be a National Park From the Catskills to the Battery in Manhattan :-)

I'd never thought of it like that, but you're certainly right. By the time the idea of national parks was conceived, the whole valley was well populated all the way up to Albany.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'd never thought of it like that, but you're certainly right. By the time the idea of national parks was conceived, the whole valley was well populated all the way up to Albany.
It was more than geography and coincidence that the East was settled first, and the West even today hasn't fully been 'developed.' The low, fertile land was of course far more suitable for agriculture than the rugged, arid West. Australia is a case in point. Europeans actually made it to the WEST coast first (makes sense geographically) but the climate was totally unsuitable. So it was only colonised when the British made it to the East coast.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:24 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,883,976 times
I would really have to do some research before giving a good answer to this question.

We have been to the most visited national park in America, the Great Smoky mountains.

We have been to the least visited national park in America, the Channel Islands.

We have traveled the entire length of The Blue Ridge Parkway.

We have ridden on the Great Smoky Mountains Railway and its sister train in Durango, Colorado.

We have been to the top of Pikes Peak on a cog train.

We have seen Mesa Verde National Park.

We have been to the Grand Canyon twice and would love to go again.

We have been to the end of the Florida Keys, Key West, and watched the sun rise.

We hope to go see Yellowstone National Park.

We have not traveled the entire Skyline Drive. I have been about halfway on the drive.

I think we have driven the entire length of I-40 from the Atlantic Ocean to its end in California. We have certain sections of this interstate almost memorized and know which towns to stay in and which hotels in the towns.

We have crossed the Continental Divide in two places.

We have still not seen the four corners except on a map. I hope to do US Highway 64 when we go to the four corners. It ends there. We have traveled on this highway from Manteo or the Atlantic Ocean to somewhere in Arkansas.

We have been to the top of Mount Mitchell, the highest peak in Eastern USA.

We have seen the largest home in America, Biltmore House.

We have followed the roads along the New River from Charleston, West Virginia to inside North Carolina. This river flows North and is very interesting to watch. It looks like it is flowing backwards.

We have walked under the Natural Bridge in Virginia.

We hope to soon visit the Green Mountains of Vermont and travel the entire length of Highway 108.

We have not yet seen the Black Hills, but have been trying to plan a trip there for a while.

I don't know that any of these places are must-see places, but we enjoy taking road trips. As the commercial says, "The trip is part of the vacation."

Last edited by NCN; 08-25-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,279,477 times
Quote:
I don't know that any of these places are must-see places, but we enjoy taking road trips. As the commercial says, "The trip is part of the vacation."
Ditto. While have visited many of the places mentioned, still very many more to go, but time, distance, and cost will keep future travel plans at a modest, fairly close to home, driving trip level. While much prefer natural attractions rather than man made ones, oddly enough, the top to do trip combines both. This is a drive from my SoCal home north through the Rockies taking secondary roads whenever possible to Cody, Wyoming, and then spending two days at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, a complex often referred to as the Smithsonian of the West. From there, west into Yellowstone, this time doing it right and not what 99% of it's visitors do. From there, south to a visit to Teton NP, and then home, again avoiding interstates whenever possible. Was all set to do this trip three years ago, but had to scrub it, still a top choice to do.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,509,111 times
Ok so next year we are planning to go and drive across the country.

1. New york.
2. Yellowstone national park.
3. Los angeles.
4. California.
5. Mount Rushmore.
6. Chicago.
7. Washington DC.
8. Orlando (we've already been to florida so maybe not).
9. Boston.
10. Las Vegas.
11. Grand Canyon.

If I do all that then I think that will be enough and I will have seen a quite a large chunk of the USA. I would like to visit Alaska but its really far away compared to east coast and it would be hard to get there without spending tons of money so I will just have to leave it for some other time.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
I drove cross country and back many years ago and saw most of the things listed.

I will never get to Hawaii and that I regret but it's just too expensive. Same for the PNW.

Now I just want to go to the same few wonderful places again and again--like the Green Mountains of Vermont and the Adirondacks of NY state and Cape Cod. The west has some spectacular and some weird scenery but if I want true solitude and beauty it would be in the places I return to again and again.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 9,271,792 times
1. Yellowstone National Park
2. The Grand Canyon National Park
3. Arches National Park
4. Blue Ridge Parkway which runs between Shenandoah National Park and the Smoky Mountains National Park.
5. Mesa Verde National Park
6. New York City.
7. Disney World
8. Washington, D.C.
9. The island of Oahu in Hawaii
10. San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or