U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,781,865 times

Advertisements

Virgin Air and Lufthansa are awesome. Unfortunately, I rarely get to fly either one, but every time I have, the flights have been so pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,612,674 times
I like Jet Blue. They have great rates on flights to places I want to fly to and the service and amenities are a step above any other domestic carrier for the same price.

For international flights, I really liked Air France, though that's only from a couple experiences. I flew from Paris to Marrakech, Morocco once and the flight had beautiful and smiling French women as flight attendents who were more than happy to top off your glass with more wine--even a few minutes before landing--and the food was baked salmon that was actually good. And this was just a fairly short flight in coach. Everyone had a smile on their face on the plane and it was like a party from takeoff until landing.

The worst flights I've taken are US Air--though one flight from Rome to Boston on Alitalia turned into the worst flight experience of my life. The plane was late, they lost our luggage, and then the flight attendents rudely told us to go wait in a line past security before getting our connecting flight. We waited in a long line, they told we had to go to our main destination to do anything about our luggage. Then we ended up missing our connecting flight because they didn't check us in for both flights and we had to run across the terminal to check right at the moment when they stopped checking people in. We had to wait at the Alitialia desk to try to get anyone to help us, while the same rude flight attendent argued with us that it was our fault. Finally I got one employee to help us, and we ended up staying in the airport hotel overnight with no luggage--yet having to walk three times back to the Alitalia desk to find someone to confirm and print a boarding pass for our rescheduled flight. Finally we got out of Boston after almost a 24-hour nightmare of a layover.

Last edited by Deezus; 01-10-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,365,710 times
I just traveled to Zurich with Swiss Air. It was phenomenal. Everyone who worked there was beautiful, the food was excellent, large comfortable seats with a ton of leg room, tons of TV shows/movies to choose from; free, unlimited beer/wine/liquor. I imagine my coach experience was better than first class for a lot of US airlines.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,602,561 times
Domestic: Southwest

Otherwise Singapore is the absolute best airline I have ever flown on, very pricey but worth it for those long haul flights.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,575,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
"Tower Air" (no I'm joking, that company is long gone)
Hahahaha. I am surprised anyone remembered Tower air. I flew a chartered flight with them from Califonria all the way to Saudi Arabia in operation Desert Storm. Several hundred soldiers and their M-16s in the seat right beside them. What a hellacious 20 hours that was.
My favorite has been Lufthansa. Better than any domestic although I have had good experiences with Alaska the couple of times I have flown them.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,784,200 times
Iberia, but I have to admit that the services have been cut and the link with British Airways is totally rubbish.

I also liked TAP Portugal, Lufthansa, Luxair, Delta, Swiss air...

Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 AM

15 posts, read 30,963 times
mostly i only fly with KLM (Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij)

probably second would be cathay pacific cos i was upgraded to first class

Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,802,531 times
Korean Air has always been fantastic for me. Sometimes it is worth it to pay a little bit more for quality on extremely long flights. I'd say Korean Air rivals Singapore in terms of excellence. I almost never fly an American airline abroad because they're usually subpar.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 PM

54 posts, read 53,048 times
Domestic--Southwest has always served me right and I don't need frills to get me from point A to B safely and politely. I usually fly overnight or on an early jag to minimise disruptions or other tomfoolery.

International--I would give the edge to Cathay and Singapore is right there with them. On long haul I'll pay extra for comfort and polite friendly airline personnel.

A lot depends on your attitude but I'd rather fly in a comfortable friendly atmosphere than with crotchety low class people. I was on a flight once where we were in Denver and we had to wait on the ground for 2 other planes to land so we could get to Seattle. This one hag complained so long and hard (with her young son in tow) finally this one old man told her to shut up in such a sarcastic way that I must of laughed for hours internally. Certain passengers can make a tedious situation worse than it needs to be. We get it lady you are gonna be late in Seattle to fly over to Spokane I think it was.

I think not making your connections too close together would alleviate a lot of people's drama in life!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 AM

306 posts, read 632,794 times
Lufthansa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or