U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 AM

600 posts, read 890,258 times

Advertisements

The mountains of western NC, the beaches of central Gulf Coast Florida, my new home here in New Orleans.

And I just know I will fall in love with San Francisco whenever I finally make it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 03:38 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,014,596 times
Way too many places but a few favourites :

Coastal Maine especially up from Kennebunkport
Pretty much the whole of New England
Marin County CA and up the Northern Coast of California
Area around Monterey CA
Archaeological sites of New Mexico and Arizona
Savannah
Charleston
Blue Ridge Mountains
Californian Sierras
Yosemite
San Francisco
Boston
Chicago
NYC
Upstate New York
Virginia
Rural Pennsylvania
Rural Kentucky and Tennessee
Wyoming and Montana

Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
The Dakotas. I love cruising the back country roads, stopping to scan the pothole marshes for wildlife. Driving 10 or 20 miles without seeing a car. Stopping in the middle of the road to chat with a driver if I do meet one. I once spent a whole week in the Dakotas, just driving around, without going to anyplace in particular. Most towns have a free campground in the town park,sometimes next to a lake you can swim in. It's the most beautiful place in America.

"The treasures found in travel, the chance rewards of travel which make it worth while, cannot be accounted beforehand, and seldom are matters a listener would care to hear about afterwards. -- H. M. Tomlinson, "The Sea and the Jungle" (possibly the best travel book I've ever read, online here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/hmt/seaj.htm

Last edited by jtur88; 09-08-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 09-08-2012, 05:16 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,095,217 times
Glacier National Park, Montana (Going to the Sun Highway)
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
Las Cruces,NM (Organ Mtns.)
White Mountains, New Hampshire (Moat Mtns., Mt. Moosilaukee, Mt. Lafayette)
Adirondack Mtns, New York (Mt Marcy, Algonquin Peak)
Green Mountains, Vermont (Mt. Lincoln)
Badlands, South Dakota
Dubois, Wyoming

Old 09-08-2012, 06:45 PM

71,919 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
What are you're favorite states,regions, places?
It depends on why I am in a certain place: for a short visit, I think I would have to say San Francisco. I would never want to live in the bay area again, but what a fun place to visit. For peacefulness and scerenity (spelling) the northern most coast of New England, to spend a lot of time, among really nice people, I would say the south. And for simple tourning, history, excitement altogether, the DC area for sure. Oh and from reading the postings, I forgot about Vegas. If I just want to go someplace for 2 or 3 days, have lots of activitiy, see every style and type of person in the world, relax, have fun, yes, Vegas is the place.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:48 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,349,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
What are you're favorite states,regions, places?
Louisiana

Gulf Coast Texas

Gulf Coast Florida

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,367 times
We are outdoor people, hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, foodies. NW Arkansas is a favorite because it is close enough for a weekend getaway. Hiking Grand Canyon was amazing. We also love beaches and tropical weather and the culture that goes with it. Appalachicola FL oysters are great. Key West is so much fun! Colorado hiking is beautiful. New Orleans food is awesome. Pretty much anywhere there is good food and fantastic outdoor opportunities we will be happy!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,683,190 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Oregon yet. Never visited, but it looks lovely...

Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 AM

9,186 posts, read 9,267,265 times
My favorite US vacation places:

1. Grand Canyon. I've hiked to the bottom of it 7 times (3 times rim to rim)
2. Yellowstone/ Grand Teton National Parks in Wyoming. (Even snowmobiled there in the winter)
3. Mesa Verde National Park (hiking through the Indian ruins is great experience; some require ladder climbing)
4. Las Vegas for conventions.
5. Washington, D.C. (Good place to go with family)
6. Boston (truly enjoyed hiking the freedom trail and seeing historical sites)
7. The Oregon Coast.
8. The islands of Oahu and Maui in Hawaii.
9. Disneyworld (expensive, but a great place to go with kids)
10. Arches National Park in Utah.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:19 AM

808 posts, read 1,170,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
You don't find northeast PA beautiful
I sure do, but the north-central and northwest are much more rural, which I find very appealing, along with much better roads for motorcycle riding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel