U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 PM

40 posts, read 240,847 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice from anyone who has done this drive before. I am moving from DC to Seattle and am thinking of driving cross country around the end of November. I may have to rent a U-Haul or something similar. Will the weather be that bad at that time of year? If I were to move out earlier, say early/mid November would that make a difference? I really don't want to be driving in dangerous conditions but due to a pet situation I am very leery of flying out there.

Any advice appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,789,926 times
Unless you make a big detour via the southeastern US, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California, you can count on bad weather along your route. And even then you might get caught in snow going over the Siskiyou Summit on I-5 near the California/Oregon border. There's a sea-level route (US101) but it's very slow.

So if time's not a consideration, i.e. if you don't mind taking 8 days for what would normally be a 5-day trip, it's certainly feasible.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,199,480 times
I did this drive last Nov, I drove back East for T-giving. (I went south to Salt Lake City then East) Some of the passes were chains only. It was pretty much snow from Snoqualmie pass to Colorado. A U-haul would be a so-so choice in some of those places, though I did see a few. I'd guess you'd need to go the southern route and then work north as pch1013 noted. It's a cool drive either way. So much to see!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM

40 posts, read 240,847 times
Ok sounds like it could be a rough trip as far as weather goes and might take longer than usual with detours, etc. Thanks for the route suggestions!

Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 PM

9,447 posts, read 17,476,815 times
I don't think there's really any way to know at this point, but bad weather is certainly a possibility if not a probability in late November. Are you talking about renting a U-Haul truck or pulling a trailer? I'd chance in a passenger car or truck, but I don't think I'd want to be pulling anything that distance that late into the winter.

You'd be heading against the weather patterns, so that increases your chances of running into foul weather. Just as a wild guess, I'd say your chances of being held up one or two days due to snowy or icy roads would be 30%-50%.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 AM

72,308 posts, read 84,051,807 times
No one can really know because each year is different. Of course, if you could move in early to even mid Nov it would be a whole lot better. By the end of the month the snow season can really set in,depending what route you take. The positive side, think about it? Most of the years heavy snow and bad weather doesn't hit much before middle or late December. Still I would try and move the date up a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or