U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,540,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I guess I'm not as worried about my expenses than I am about showing what my company can do and how I can work with them to implement their goals and ideas. I feel my expenses are almost a non-issue when you're talking $100 million+ contracts. I work hard, I'm very good at what I do, and I have a consistent track record of delivering under deadlines; there's a certain point where one should feel they're an asset to the company they work for and should be allowed a few perks. Traveling for business and pleasure is always a new experience and even though it's a business trip, I'm not going to scrimp on meals and lodging as I wouldn't on a leisure trip either.

Does your company have certain policies regarding business travel and expenses? I'm just curious for curiosity sake on how other government-contracted agencies deal with business expenses? Do you have a corporate credit card or like myself, do you fill out a mound of paperwork and turn in expenses when you arrive back?
We do have policies. We're quite a large company, so we have negotiated rates with major chains for hotels and car rental. Typically we choose to travel per diem because it's a reasonably generous amount (our company understands that travel is difficult and wants to keep us happy travellers) and because it saves lots of paperwork. We each have a corporate credit card for hotels and car rentals. Our company has a travel accounting website, and in my department I'm lucky enough that our administrative assistant is happy to deal with that whole thing for us.

The company almost always pays off the credit card before it comes due, but if something goes awry then I am on the hook to pay the credit card and then handle reimbursement from my company (happens occasonally - not really a problem). I've never been in the position where I need to cultivate customers (I'm strictly tech), but I'm guessing that the higher-ups are allowed to charge corporate entertainment to the company credit card. The important caveat is: within reason - nothing outlandishly splashy.

If I choose to add a few days of playing tourist before or after a business trip, then I'm strictly on my own dime (and on my own credit card) for everything - hotel, car-rental, food. I still get to fly back home on the company-paid airline ticket, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or