U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
People who have such items will say they didn't know the rule or it wasn't clear or they forgot they had the item. They'd make a fuss about getting sent to the "back" of the line (and then they'd have to push by those in line) and delay things even longer. Actually sometimes they are held up and others can go by them, but not often. I would not lecture the inspectors, or call them goons, if you want better treatment. I can still remember back right after 9/11 when people complained there wasn't strict enough inspection at airports.
That was BS after 9-11. They were reacting in a kneejerk fashion because they FAILED to put the intelligence together to begin with. So blame the traveling public and make life miserable for them instead of our Federal agencies doing their job to begin with. Yes, many TSA are GOONS. They are no better than rent-a-cops in a mall, and many are on a power trip. There are many thieves among them as well. I travel 2-3 weeks out of the month, and for every one pleasant encounter I've had 15 negative ones.

I don't see how making idiots go to the back of the line would make things take longer. It would actually speed things up for those of us who have half a brain and do it right to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That whole TSA is ruining travel for me. I flew for work last week. It was exhausting. Allow more time than you think for security.

Personally, I think they should have a line for people who checked their luggage, have no laptop, just a purse or small bag. Would have saved me about an hour.

And would encourage people to check their bags.
I'll bet I go through just as fast as you do. And I take a roll aboard and a laptop. I'm also practiced. I know the drill. I do this 2-3 times a month. Actually 4-6 if you include the return. I've got my stuff squared away. My laptop is out before I get to the bins, and I wear no belts/jewelry/scarves. My shoes slip off and on.

I know what I can and can't bring aboard, my 3-1-1 bag is in the bin with my shoes and sweater.

I have no scissors, knives, nunchucks, bricks, or mace with me.

I don't check my bag because time is money and I can be at my first meeting before the bags come off the belt in some airports. I often get into a rental car and finish the day in another state. Having my luggage lost or delayed would be a huge problem. My little 20" suitcase fits wheels in in every overhead (except some of the RJ's where I leave it and then retrieve it on the tarmac.)

Given my FF status, I can check three bags, but it's not worth the hassle. My home airport has Clear and I'm a member. If I check a bag I need to be there an hour before my flight. If I don't check a bag, I can get through security and to my gate in under 30 minutes.

Why would I lose a half hour sleep to check a bag?

PS--They would be better off enforcing the Experienced Traveler lanes and restricting them to only the true upper tier frequent fliers. That's what the Pre-Check will do once they get it implemented in more airports, but because there's no guarantee that you won't be randomly sent into the regular line, it's not going to do anything in the big picture.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
Fine. But I was behind guys with two and three laptops. Grandma with full bottles of shampoo, I still say, line for people who have just a purse. But, that is utopia thinking. People with full suitcases would still get in that line.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Fine. But I was behind guys with two and three laptops. Grandma with full bottles of shampoo, I still say, line for people who have just a purse. But, that is utopia thinking. People with full suitcases would still get in that line.
Enforcing the true frequent traveler lanes and kicking granny back to the casual traveler/family line would take care of the shampoo problem.

FYI--"just a purse" can still contain items like knives, scissors, or even a too large bottle of liquid. It's not going to resolve anything by restricting lanes by the amount of carry on.

Restrictions should be based on the capabilities and understanding of the rules--ie don't allow people with three year olds or those who haven't flown in 12 years go through the experienced traveler line, and don't allow business people who travel twice a year on business assume that they are "experienced travelers." In fact they can be the worst offenders. Restrict that line to the true frequent flyers. In many airports it's restricted to those with status in their frequent flyer program, and when enforced, it definitely keeps things moving along.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Quote:
Personally, I think they should have a line for people who checked their luggage, have no laptop, just a purse or small bag. Would have saved me about an hour.

And would encourage people to check their bags.
Thats currently Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or