U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,581,744 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me your experience? I understand if you are selected you don't have to remove your shoes or open your laptop or open bags.
It is more like pre 9/11 in that you just go through quick and walk through a metal detector. No nude-o-scope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,865,760 times
The "precheck lane" is a bit of a smoke and mirror act. although there are things you do not have to do, the truth of the matter is that these are expereinced travelers who if they were the only travelers in a the regular security lanes, it would move very fast anyways. So even if they didn't modify and reduced the physical security requirments, the traveler's experience throiugh security would naturally speed things up. Odds are your not dealing with Vicky the vacationer, Fred & Fiona with their 3 unruly kids, Edna elderly, or Larry the waited to the last moinute to get off the cell phoens causing a hold up behind him.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Last week a TSA goon asked me why I wasn't smiling after waiting in a TSA line last week while they brought wheelchair after wheelchair to the front of the line. It took--I kid you not--45 minutes to process 25 people. So you tell me why I wasn't smiling as my time to grab lunch was quickly disappearing. A side note on the wheelchairs, why can't they wait like the rest of us? It wasn't disabled kids or very frail, elderly persons, it was people who were able to get up out of the chair without assistance and walk through the scanner on their own including keeping their hands above their head. Ridiculous that they were given priority--there was no medical or security related reason for it.

I told him that I thought it was taking excessively long, and pointed out five TSA staff hanging around talking to each other instead of opening a second lane. He pointed out that the biggest problem was that people kept forgetting to take things like laptops and iPads out of their bags and that they kept finding things like water bottles in bags so they had to run everything through the scanner two and three times.

I suggested that the morons that kept holding things up should be sent to the back of the line to start over again, after a couple of tries they might get it right and learn a lesson. He had no comment.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,808,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I suggested that the morons that kept holding things up should be sent to the back of the line to start over again, after a couple of tries they might get it right and learn a lesson. He had no comment.
That's not a bad idea actually . How many times in school did we get sent to the end of the line because we didn't have the right whatsit? Adults should be able to behave a bit better than that!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,097,419 times
annerk- I love that idea, it is brilliant! People would actually pay attention to the rules and speed up the lines for the rest of us if they were sent back 45 minutes deep into the line. The worst was last week when I was stuck behind a woman going through TSA, arguing because she couldn't keep her giant bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I wanted to kick the inconsiderate woman in the shins, as selfish people like that don't realize their ignorance is holding up scores of people behind them. Let's be honest, the liquid rule isn't exactly a secret.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
To use the pre-check lanes (where they exist and there are not very many of them) you need to be a 'known traveler' which means that you need to go through some kind of process to qualify. I qualify because I signed up - and was accepted - for the CBP Global Entry program. When you do the electronic check in, you input your known traveler number and that gets coded into the bar code on your boarding pass. The TSA guy sees that when he scans your pass and directs you to the pre-check lane (at least that is my understanding of how it works).

The main advantage of the pre-check lanes is that you avoid the clueless travelers. They are the ones that slow everything down. Frequent and/or experienced travelers know the routine and move through security pretty quickly. And the TSA people know who we are and are always pretty reasonable. We give them no hassle and they give us no hassle.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,761,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
annerk- I love that idea, it is brilliant! People would actually pay attention to the rules and speed up the lines for the rest of us if they were sent back 45 minutes deep into the line. The worst was last week when I was stuck behind a woman going through TSA, arguing because she couldn't keep her giant bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I wanted to kick the inconsiderate woman in the shins, as selfish people like that don't realize their ignorance is holding up scores of people behind them. Let's be honest, the liquid rule isn't exactly a secret.
People who have such items will say they didn't know the rule or it wasn't clear or they forgot they had the item. They'd make a fuss about getting sent to the "back" of the line (and then they'd have to push by those in line) and delay things even longer. Actually sometimes they are held up and others can go by them, but not often. I would not lecture the inspectors, or call them goons, if you want better treatment. I can still remember back right after 9/11 when people complained there wasn't strict enough inspection at airports.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,483,887 times
Do airlines, as in the Disney parks, give you one of their wheelchairs if you complain that you are faint or old or require a cane to walk? Could that be some scam to get in line in front of everyone else?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,865,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Do airlines, as in the Disney parks, give you one of their wheelchairs if you complain that you are faint or old or require a cane to walk? Could that be some scam to get in line in front of everyone else?
In the USA, all that is required to claim handicap privilages (except for motor vehcile disabled placards) is to make the claim. No business is legally allowed to ask what your disability is that requires a wheelchair or handicap privilages. If you want toi jumpt he line at the airport, just request a wheelchair in advance for curbside service, get wheeled around and jump the lines ... just make sure to tip the attendant well.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,727,414 times
That whole TSA is ruining travel for me. I flew for work last week. It was exhausting. Allow more time than you think for security.

Personally, I think they should have a line for people who checked their luggage, have no laptop, just a purse or small bag. Would have saved me about an hour.

And would encourage people to check their bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or