U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:02 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,073,633 times

Advertisements

I am sorry this happened to you. These people can be pretty clever in what they do. I hate people getting scammed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,728,188 times
The first time I was on my own out of country (17 . . high school trip)

Mexico City. . .A guy took me aside and scammed me . . .washing my shoes, wanting a big fee, he threatened police. Really pissed me off afterwards. . .though I limited the damage.

Never again. I ignore everyone.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 PM

963 posts, read 1,522,895 times
Unfortunately variations of this scam happen most anywhere. Con artists prey on your exhaustion from the travel, as well as your lack of language skills. As much as I would like to meet interesting locals, I have to use the "trust no one" attitude and walk with purpose.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 AM

889 posts, read 1,014,754 times
A lot of these sound pretty easy to avoid. Some hot girl comes up to you speaking perfect English and wants you to go somewhere with her? Yeah right, how likely is that going to be legit? Come on.

She just happened to pick you out in a crowded street and wants to "be your friend"? Yeah, okay...

Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM

9,066 posts, read 9,497,381 times
I'm very wary of strangers when travelling alone. I don't have Liam Neeson to come save me!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,121,564 times
I'm wary of anyone anywhere who approaches you and offers to do something "free". Seen similar type scams in the US. Someone offers to walk you somewhere and when you get to the destination, they start demanding money.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 PM

220 posts, read 508,330 times
I was in Ferrara Italy on a 1 hour stop with my tour group. We were allowed to do our own thing, so I casually walked the streets, sightseeing. A handsome, well-dressed young man from Senegal approached me, speaking little English. He asked me if I spoke French, no...then Italian...no, then he proceeded to make small talk...with as much English as he could. He made sure to maintain eye contact with me and I with him because I was interested in understanding what he was saying aka...I let me guard down.

We were headed down a fairly deserted street when I noticed that I had not been paying attention to where I was going, and I needed to find my way back to the bus. I cut the convo with him short and proceeded to walk in the direction that I came. He was still walking 5-7 feet behind me, when I noticed that he was talking on his phone. I proceeded to speed walk, heading in the direction in which I came. I finally got my bearings and knew where I needed to be going, I looked back and saw the young man who was talking to me meet up with another man, who appeared out of nowhere, and hand him something.

I got directly on the bus, and then we arrived at our hotel. As I walked towards the hotel, the strap to my pocketbook gave way and it fell to the ground. On closer look, I could tell that one of the straps had been cut! This was most likely happening as I was talking to the young man. He and the other man that he met up with must have been working together. I have no doubt that the one man was trying to cut my pocketbook strap while the other was chatting me up. Thank God I came to my senses when I did, and they didn't have enough time to execute their plan. Big Lesson Learned!!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 AM

1,548 posts, read 2,514,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
This sounds almost like the Greek cafe scam. Someone chats you up, girl is hot and flirty. Order a drink, and they overcharge you 100X.
I have never had this happen to me in Greece, or any country, for that matter. Perhaps it's because I'm a woman, but I think a decent amount of street smarts (and men not getting caught up with a pretty girl - really, is that all it takes? If so, I need a new job.) will do most people well.

You can just as easily get scammed on the streets of NYC. Better not go there either, then.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
A lot of these sound pretty easy to avoid. Some hot girl comes up to you speaking perfect English and wants you to go somewhere with her? Yeah right, how likely is that going to be legit? Come on.

She just happened to pick you out in a crowded street and wants to "be your friend"? Yeah, okay...
Exactly. It's not rocket science. If men can use common sense, they'll stay out of trouble. That's how it works in this country, too.

Same goes for women. If that designer handbag seems priced too good to be true, it probably is. Again, common sense.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'm wary of anyone anywhere who approaches you and offers to do something "free". Seen similar type scams in the US. Someone offers to walk you somewhere and when you get to the destination, they start demanding money.
Exactly. Or the scam where they offer to take your photo for you then run off with your camera. Yeah, that happens in every country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel