U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,453,884 times

Advertisements

My wife and I go somewhere every year. We tend to run on an every other year vacation schedule. Every other year we do something big - the last 3 have been FL - '08, '10 and '12. '07 was Mexico for our honeymoon. Other years, we either stay in-state and go out of town, or we fly out to see family. We're already planning vacation for 2014, next year is already spoken for by family. Waiting 2 years to do something big lets us save up to make sure everything is paid for in cash and we can do what we want, when we want.

We also tend to go away for the weekends alot, we have a goal to get out of town at least one weekend every month for the next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,000,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Four freaking years. I thought I was going to go all Texas Tower Sniper there for a while. I worked at this job that was constant pressure and freakishly insane deadlines. Finally one day, I walk in and said, "I'm going on vacation to New Zealand for three weeks."

"I'm not letting you do that that."

"I'm not asking permission."

So I went, had a great time and came back to quit my job. Now, no matter what, I take one real deal vacation a year. Not a staycation. A real one.

A friend of mine was one of the original managers working for Ray Kroc. He went SIX years without a vacation. He would schedule them and his boss cancel them.

Finally, he scheduled two weeks off to go to Florida and Disney. His vacation was cancelled the night before he left. He took the two weeks off and never looked back.

Next week will be my first week off in NINE months. After month after month of 50-80 hour weeks ...

Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
47 years.

yes...^^^^

Vacations are usually for 'employees (or 10%rs / DR, Lawyers...) & not in the vocabulary of many careers / responsibilities...

Moms for ONE!!

but Self Employed and Farmers... may be a lifetime without a vacation and NEVER a PAID vacation.

Dairy-Farm-Boarding-school.... = must escape for Vacation. Good training for future Stealth activities.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,023,380 times
About 5 months probably. Hubby opted for a job with much lower pay but much better conditions ( including more holidays). We figured we can't take it with us so I would rather we enjoyed our life whilst we can. Money is great but it is not as good as spending time with the person I love and travelling. Being European makes you realise how lucky you are when it comes to paid holidays. The UK which is one of the least generous countries in Europe in that respect has a mandatory 4 weeks no matter what, whether janitor at Mc Donald's or consultant...

Hubby gets 31 days a year, plus of course the bank holidays and when he does enough overtime can also work up an extra 3 days a month. I have become an expert at stretching those to make sure we get maximum vacation time.

We have often thought of moving to the US for a while but there is no way we are willing to sacrifice our vacation so it's never going to happen basically. The idea that someone might not get a vacation every year is beyond any Europeans IMO. We look at Americans with pity when it comes to stuff like that.

Life is too short to simply spend it at work.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,974,059 times
It has been 7 years for me!!! That will change this upcoming January when I head to Buenos Aires for about a week. I might take a long weekend to Las Vegas or LA in February after that.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 PM

30,701 posts, read 33,484,787 times
I've gone years and years without going anywhere. Vacation didn't = travel when I was working, it just ment NOT WORKING. I enjoyed many vacations in my own house over the years.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 PM

12,031 posts, read 16,773,933 times
2 years, though the "vacation" I went on last summer was a free cancer retreat that only cost me the tank and a half of gas to get there and back. My next trips will likely be on Birthright to Israel and a 2nd cancer retreat in the next year. However, if they weren't virtually free (getting to NYC and back to catch my flight plus a few meals for Israel, just a flight to wherever I go for my trip for the latter), I would not be going at all.

It's a shame - I love to travel, even locally. I'm trying to do more day trips to places like Cape Cod off season, New Hampshire, and Western Mass that won't require me to stay overnight. I just can't justify really going anywhere until all my cancer debt is paid off.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:11 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
I retired 22 years ago, and I haven't had a vacation since.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM

71,991 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Just curious whats the longest you've gone without going on any sort of vacation/getaway?

I'm coming up on 6 years of not even leaving my town and I'm starting to feel stir crazy. Its not particularly by choice but I had a kid, husband works odd hours and just a lot of things have come up to where we really haven't gone anywhere at all. My hubs is going on a mini vaca to NH in 3 weeks for 5 days (we are moving he's going up to look around visit some friends etc) but I'm staying home with the baby. I should have said screw it and bought my ticket with his but its too late now it'll cost me close to $1000 to buy two more tickets! Plus I started a new job in April so couldn't really take the time I suppose. I'm a bit bummed to say the least.

So tell me whats the longest you've gone ?
I guess it depends on what you call a vacation? Even when the kids were little we always took, at least a week every summer and usually more to either visit relatives, go camping or combine the above with out of the area swim meets or baseball games. Our kids were pretty much into sports.. We rarely did anything like staying at resorts, We did rent a cabin at Lake Tahoe for a week a couple of years, way back when. Now, that we are seniors, no longer working and have no reason to vacation we go twice a year at least. One is always a cruise and the other Vegas, a rood trip or maybe someplace else. We did 9 days in Vegas earlier this year and are leaving on a 5 day road trip tomorrow. We will not tech cruise this year, but have one planned, leaving on Jan6th.

I don't blame you for feeling trapped (not really, but you know what I mean) but eventually this will change and vacations will just be a part of your life. You sould pretty young...

Old 10-13-2012, 07:11 PM

880 posts, read 1,735,217 times
I think about 2.5 years. But a REAL, exciting vacation? more than 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or