U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 PM

693 posts, read 819,495 times

Advertisements

I agree with all of you on here in saying that I, too, really miss the old travel channel. It always seems that they show the same old garbage on the TC now. I'm sick of the ghost shows, etc. etc. too. And God help me if I see one more episode of 'Man vs. Food' I think I'll die. I just don't want to see a man stuffing his face (with mainly nasty and unhealthy stuff anyways) till the point that he's sick. Is it just me, or does it seem that a lot of shows on the TC don't even really have to do anything with traveling really? I mean, they might go to different places, but not really for the sake of traveling and all that it entails, etc. I miss the shows that would take us to different places, and teach us about those places and help us get immersed into the culture a little bit even though we're physically not there. I want to watch TV that actually educates me sometimes as well and helps to expand my horizons; something that I think that the TC used to be really quite good at.

I think this is true of TV in general nowadays though, and it's so unfortunate and disheartening imho. Just look across the board and it's easy to see that the quality of once great stations has really fallen off of the cliff. Another one that pops into my mind instantly is TLC. I mean, come on, have you seen some of the shows on there? Toddlers and Tiaras (I say it's child abuse by psychopath mothers trying to live their deranged fantasies through their children :P ) and Honey Boo Boo (the epitome of White Trash and things that I avoid in my life, not to sound too mean or condescending there, but come on!). Lord have mercy! Hahahaha.

On a more positive note, I don't know if you all have heard but, Samantha Brown (I love her too and have followed her shows for years as well. I've actually met her too, believe it or not), is definitely coming back to the TC soon with brand new material and shows. As a matter of fact (I follow her on Twitter), I know that she's actually in Europe right now filming something for the TC. So hopefully we'll be seeing that soon! Also, another piece of info on Sam that I just heard about myself and thought I'd share with you lovely people is that she just recently announced that she and her husband are expecting twins! So that's quite exciting! Samantha Brown – Sam’s Special Announcement

Anyways, sorry to drag this out into a rather long-ish post and rant a bit, but, overall, yes, I agree with you all. I want my old TC back again! Is that too much to ask for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,509,718 times
There was a show that I just saw a few presentations of, but enjoyed immensely. A fellow who had a store in a major city (NY?) would go around the world on buying expeditions for merchandise for the store. He introduced certain regions of certain countries and told what goods they were known to produce, at good prices, hopefully.

So, if you ever were to go as a tourist you might frequent some places less traveled.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 PM

15,608 posts, read 13,594,599 times
This along with tow trucks, alligator catching, pawn shops, fishing, auctions and other redneck shows that now dominate the evenings.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 AM

34,478 posts, read 41,600,379 times
I've also noticed on channels like Travel,TLC.Food network an amazing amount of 30 second commercials 12-18 at a time on occasion , any shows i do watch on these channels have to be taped as a consequence so i can reduce the commercial content to mere seconds instead of 10-15 minutes at a time.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 AM

4,962 posts, read 7,898,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
I miss the shows that would take us to different places, and teach us about those places and help us get immersed into the culture a little bit even though we're physically not there. I want to watch TV that actually educates me sometimes as well and helps to expand my horizons; something that I think that the TC used to be really quite good at.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. We are apparently in the minority as far as the viewing audience goes.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM

34,478 posts, read 41,600,379 times
My travel channel is sparse on the travel at the best of times,from Friday evenings to Monday mornings its all about the inside of Jail cells ..

Old 09-22-2012, 01:33 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,982,528 times
I too don't understand the focus on food. Though it's part of culture, it's just a tiny bit of it. I don't want to see the host eat and say yum or yuk, I want to know what to see and do there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or