Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times

Advertisements

I go on another vacation site, and so many windows pop up I get dizzy!

Any favorites for U.S. travel you recommend?
Then I'll just go to their websites to compare.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

Thank you!!
It would probably be helpful to let us know where you are flying from and where you want to go. That would narrow it down some. I love Southwest, but there's a chance that wouldn't be helpful to you at all.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:40 PM

417 posts, read 815,907 times
I agree, it is important to know starting point and destination. My initial thought, however, is for you to just choose the airline with the least expensive fare because all US airlines have similar (bad) service...

Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Actually there is a big difference between many of the airlines.

I won't fly SW because I don't want to play games to get the seat I want. I want to choose it when I buy my ticket.

And SW is no longer a low cost carrier, in many cases they are the same or even more expensive than the legacies, particularly for those who travel light so don't want or need "free bags."

Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
You might want to pick one that has a frequent flyer agreement with whatever airline usually fly with outside the USA.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
and... I will ONLY fly SWA on personal domestic trips, due to their liberal FREE CHANGES, free baggage, cheap prices, friendly crew AND Excellent seating / get on and go!!! no bozo's carrying on EVERYTHING (including the kitchen sink) and LOOKING for a SPECIFIC seat

Short domestic trips aren't worth the hassle for me to use a 'legancy carrier'. (Of which I hold executive status on several).

I'm glad we are all different !! More seats for ME! I LUV SWA

Get on the emailing list of several airlines and grab their Wed specials. I have at least 20 more domestic flights to use this year (+ many international)..

JUST yesterday SWA worked out a real sweet deal for me on a very friendly call. THE ZERO fee changes is VERY important to me. (I travel CHEAP and can't digest 'fees') YMMV

Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and... I will ONLY fly SWA on personal domestic trips, due to their liberal FREE CHANGES, free baggage, cheap prices, friendly crew AND Excellent seating / get on and go!!! no bozo's carrying on EVERYTHING (including the kitchen sink) and LOOKING for a SPECIFIC seat

Short domestic trips aren't worth the hassle for me to use a 'legancy carrier'. (Of which I hold executive status on several).

I'm glad we are all different !! More seats for ME! I LUV SWA

Get on the emailing list of several airlines and grab their Wed specials. I have at least 20 more domestic flights to use this year (+ many international)..

JUST yesterday SWA worked out a real sweet deal for me on a very friendly call. THE ZERO fee changes is VERY important to me. (I travel CHEAP and can't digest 'fees') YMMV
If you have "executive status" you won't be paying change fees. I change my flights all the time. No fees.

And I have no problem getting on board and finding my pre-assigned/selected seat. 90% of the time you'll find me in 2C or 2D.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

Thank you!!
I use United a lot as I live in one of their hub cities. I've flown Southwest and didn't mind their seating arrangements at all. Compared to the overall indignity and discomfort of flying these days that's a fairly minor issue and their zero charge for luggage kinda makes up for it. I used to have to fly Northwest and they were dreadful! Thank goodness they don't exist any more.

Are you looking for pricing comparisons or comfort or friendliness or frequency of schedules?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually there is a big difference between many of the airlines.

I won't fly SW because I don't want to play games to get the seat I want. I want to choose it when I buy my ticket.

And SW is no longer a low cost carrier, in many cases they are the same or even more expensive than the legacies, particularly for those who travel light so don't want or need "free bags."
That's why it's important to know where he/she is flying from and where he/she wants to go. For me, certain routes are fantastic on SW, others are not, while other routes are impossible on SW.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you have "executive status" you won't be paying change fees. I change my flights all the time. No fees.

And I have no problem getting on board and finding my pre-assigned/selected seat. 90% of the time you'll find me in 2C or 2D.
as per OP
Need recommendation for airline for US travel...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I post for 'Joe Average-traveler', not for the Concierge Equipped Elite.
Go with SWA (free SELF service changes (NO QUESTIONS ASKED) Just in case; ... you get sick / kid breaks leg day before flight / somebody dies / plans change / weather is rotten at your destination / better trip comes up... BTDT ALL!! Any other USA airlines will 'skin you' for such 'trivial' interuption issues. (AFAIHBT)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel