U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:11 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,845,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselec View Post
I-81 is my favorite beats the heck out of 95
where does that pass through??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Lol. In west Texas, on I-10, the speed limit was 80 but most of the cars (including myself) went 90 because there were no police or troopers around. I even saw som cars racing.
Even if you do 90 you are only doing 10 over so its no big deal really lol

Montana used to have no speed limit at all, we used to just set the cruise control at 100 and just enjoy the road many people actually passed us doing this. lol

Old 09-23-2012, 03:32 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
I-81 is much more scenic than i-95...

Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM

16,521 posts, read 20,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I personally like I-40. I-70 is also a good choice as it goes through the heart of the Rockies. Those are probably my top suggestions if you really want to take a cross-country trip and experience the changing terrain/culture/lifestyles. I-10 is good too but since it follows the Gulf Coast its mostly uniform in the eastern half of the country and in the western half goes South of the majestic scenery of the Rockies.
Bchris02 lists two of my favorite interstates and I've driven these two highways lots- say a few hundred thousand miles worth.

One of the noted things on I-40 is nostalgia, basically "Route 66." There are various Route 66 museums on the way. And as the famous song written by Bobby Troup, sung by Nat King Cole (and plenty of others), I've stayed overnight in Joplin, Missouri, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Gallup, Flagstaff, (but not Winona), Kingman, Barstow, (and not San Bernadino!) Enjoyed my stay at all these cities, not to mention Albuquerque, I have lots of friends there. But my favorite place is Tucumcari, New Mexico. Lived there on a three state pipeline job for a few months in 1982/3. Almost moved there a few years ago. Still might!

As far as natural beauty though I-70 between Denver and the I-70/I-15 dead end, well your camera will get a workout, that's for sure. I live a few hundred feet south of I-70 in western Colorado so I'm showing a tad of bias here. But the stretch of Utah from Green River to Richfield? Beautiful!

As far as winter driving goes I-10 is certainly your best bet. The desert has its own beauty IMO. Though snow is very unlikely, it is not impossible. Still, I like 70 degrees in Tucson as opposed to 7 degrees at my house in January, thank you very much!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 PM

5,798 posts, read 9,296,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
impressive, are their any specific interstates that past through major cities as your going west?
From traveling in the Eastern part of the US you're used to the main attraction being cities. When traveling out West you need to switch your focus to the scenery, more so than the cities. Go to Google Earth and check out the Rocky Mountain states and all the little blue squares with people's private photos being posted. You'll be amazed at what the Western part of this country has to offer. You can visit the West without getting intimate with Albuquerque, Denver or Phoenix, but you'll regret it forever if you don't get off the Interstate and spend some time in Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, the Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Devil's Tower, Monument Valley, Glacier, Yellowstone, etc. etc. etc. etc. There are gas stations and small towns with motels everywhere--you won't get lost! The Rocky Mountain states are so full of natural wonders that many of them aren't even marked as attractions, they're just there as you drive by on local highways. Just experiencing the vastness of the scenery is part of the fun. And then relax spending some days in cities with the usual (and also significant) attractions: restaurants, architecture, museums, and so forth. And do yourself a favor and read up on each state before you go, so you know a little bit about what you're seeing. Otherwise you're likely to miss something amazing.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:20 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
"Interstate" and "Road Trip" are mutually exclusive concepts, which cannot be paired together in any sense. The Interstate Highway is not a road, it is a jail.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM

3,662 posts, read 7,533,030 times
I-40 is a nice drive, we start in OK straight to CA, beautiful scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel