U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,609,099 times

Advertisements

Robertpolyglot - There is a "reserve" among Maine natives for sure. We don't "gush" over those we aren't aquainted with but most of us are very helpful and friendly to tourists. Sorry you see that as being frosty. lol Could be we have been here through too many cold winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM

9,251 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
People don't go to Key West for the beach. This is why it is a good idea to do a bit of research before heading down there. But it can be a fun place. We've visited there, but lodged in Marathon and Islamorada.

Well, you are still correct that there is not much of a comparison. Captiva is wonderful--no cars allowed.
Amelia Island is indeed very southern in atmosphere.
There can be a marshy scent at Amelia, especially at low tide near the greenway along Egan's Creek, but also you might have smelled the paper mills, we have two. It's still a lovely place to live--and visit.
We were at Amelia Island Plantation. My parents had us in a two bedroom townhouse or condo of some sort? Fuzzy memory. There was a marsh or creek behind us that had a very distinctive smell. This would have been in the 1970s. Crazy how memories work. I can't recall details about the building we stayed in, but I would know that scent anywhere.

I'm a beachwalker and shell seeker by nature. Captiva was perfect!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 AM

9,066 posts, read 9,497,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I was amazed to see someone post here that the Grand Canyon was a bore. I was enchanted by it and wished I had been able to stay longer. I suppose someone that is bored by natural beauty prefers places like Las Vegas. I think that same person would be bored by the National Park in my back yard - Acadia.

Yes, because there is no natural beauty in Las Vegas

Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Islamorada.
Islamorada, which means "the purple isle," is the most beautiful of the keys IMO. Key Largo isn't bad. Florida, for me, means beach. The better the beach, the better the vacation. That's probably why I like the Panhandle so much. I don't want to leave.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I definitely don't believe that. Las Vegas's outskirts are better than Las Vegas itself. A 78 degree Mt. Charleston, 7200 ft above LV, is one heck of a treat on a typical summer day.

I will admit that, the Strip, in limited doses is ok once every 5 years. It's kitsch as hell and people watching is interesting.

What makes Las Vegas dismal is all the jaded people who live there. And they are. Go into any store, restaurant, or other business establishment in town and see the "nails for breakfast" vibe. Not good.

That's why more than 2 or 3 days in LV is impossible.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 AM

9,251 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Islamorada, which means "the purple isle," is the most beautiful of the keys IMO. Key Largo isn't bad. Florida, for me, means beach. The better the beach, the better the vacation. That's probably why I like the Panhandle so much. I don't want to leave.
Which part of the Panhandle is your favorite? I've only been to Santa Rosa (off of Pensicola) once. I've heard that Destin is way too overcrowded now. If we go someday, I'd love a place with the best beach, not too built up but with a few amenities, restaurants... . You seem to know Florida well.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Which part of the Panhandle is your favorite? I've only been to Santa Rosa (off of Pensicola) once. I've heard that Destin is way too overcrowded now. If we go someday, I'd love a place with the best beach, not too built up but with a few amenities, restaurants... . You seem to know Florida well.
Plain old Pensacola Beach or Navarre will do!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM

14,255 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

I think that you are fighting a losing battle. BUT you are right,

Some people drive at 70-80 mph through Nevada and see no beauty in the desert.

Nearly every January, I spend a week in Las Vegas. Everyday, we either head to Death Valley, to the Mohave Desert, Red Rock Canyon , and the like.

During the summer months, we head on out to Elko and check out Lemoille Canyon and the Ruby Mountains.
===

Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
I've driven through the desert surrounding the Vegas area many times (as well as a number of other deserts in the US and Mexico). I'm just not a desert person. In general I just don't think they are beautiful. I'd much rather look at the mountains or water. But at least I've given it a try, I have seen them, and I do appreciate them.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm just not a desert person.
Thanks for laying it out. Neither am I. I would find it depressing to live in NV, UT, AZ, WY and NM, and the plains of the western part of the Midwest. It's a "different" kind of beauty, but one that doesn't do it for me.

I have to live someplace where the dominant colors are green or blue, or both, to feel more relaxed, generally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or