U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Fort Collins, USA
1,477 posts, read 2,370,744 times
Reputation: 1809

Advertisements

New Zealand for me. Mostly because you can find similar attractions in the western U.S. and Alaska. Hot springs, glaciers, fjords, volcanos, snow capped mountains, and scenic cold-water beaches are all available much closer to where I live. The two aspects that I did find to be different were the broad-leaved, evergreen, subtropical forests; and the Maori culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 PM
 
15,545 posts, read 13,536,591 times
Reputation: 21297
Keeping it Global; Venice, Vienna and Munich (Munich was a big surprise).

I think some places a person has to either stay a day or to, or live there to enjoy it, anything in between makes the place irritating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
 
2,621 posts, read 2,709,099 times
Reputation: 1492
Vegas is not overrated but actually good value for money and a decent resort destination. Yes you don't need to gamble if you are not inclined to throw away your hard earned money. Always something different to see on the Strip. Resorts are upgrading their facilities on a regular basis whether its dining, hotel rooms, shows and entertainment. When you get visitors nearing the 40 million range on a yearly basis, it means it is generating a buzz and people are getting their money's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The Florida Keys strike me as being overrated. Once you get over the novelty of being a bunch of Carribbean islands you can drive to from the Mainland USA--outside of the excellent snorkeling and diving--they're not that much more exceptional then other nice beaches in Florida. Key Largo is a generic looking place and until you get to the lower Keys, there's sort of a "is-this-it?" feel to most of the area.

Key West is a nice place, but it's got way too many drunk tourists intent on drinking their way into some sort of Jimmy Buffet-themed circle of hell. I don't ever need to hear a band play Cheeseburger in Paradise or Maragaritaville after two days in Key West. That being said it's a nice town with historic architecture--though it actually lacks any good beaches--and it's way too expensive. It must have been an interesting place though before they had a highway leading there.

I actually like the Keys if I'm in South Florida for any reason, however given a chance, I'd just fly to a Carribbean island or Central America for a cheaper and more exciting beach location. Going to the Keys makes me want to get to the Miami airport and fly south for a real adventure. But living on the West Coast, I wouldn't ever feel the need to fly all the way to South Florida just to go the Keys. I can understand the attraction for the East Coast and Southeastern folks, but all the same it's not much more of a bargain to pick the Keys over just flying to the Bahamas or something.
I agree, and I live in Florida. I just don't get it--the Keys have turned into a tourist trap. They were probably amazing 40 or more years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Vegas is not overrated but actually good value for money and a decent resort destination. Yes you don't need to gamble if you are not inclined to throw away your hard earned money. Always something different to see on the Strip. Resorts are upgrading their facilities on a regular basis whether its dining, hotel rooms, shows and entertainment. When you get visitors nearing the 40 million range on a yearly basis, it means it is generating a buzz and people are getting their money's worth.
Vegas is one of the most plastic and sad places I've ever traveled to. There is an underlying feeling of despair. It can be cheap if you don't mind low end hotels and buffet food that is along the lines of what you'll find at a Golden Corral. If you don't want to gamble, there's not much to do that doesn't involve a very expensive ticket to an often not all that great show.

The last time I was in Vegas we woke up in the middle of the night to what turned out to be a bachelor party with strippers and hookers that turned into a brawl next door. I'd rather spend my money to visit an organic city with history, culture, and shopping that isn't just overpriced crap covered in dice or $1 t-shirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 04:50 PM
 
2,621 posts, read 2,709,099 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Vegas is one of the most plastic and sad places I've ever traveled to. There is an underlying feeling of despair. It can be cheap if you don't mind low end hotels and buffet food that is along the lines of what you'll find at a Golden Corral. If you don't want to gamble, there's not much to do that doesn't involve a very expensive ticket to an often not all that great show.

The last time I was in Vegas we woke up in the middle of the night to what turned out to be a bachelor party with strippers and hookers that turned into a brawl next door. I'd rather spend my money to visit an organic city with history, culture, and shopping that isn't just overpriced crap covered in dice or $1 t-shirts.

YOU made a terrible vacation decision. Obviously with the nearly 40 million visitors yearly, Vegas is doing something right for all those visitors. Vegas is NOT ALL HYPE because it can deliver on its promise. It talks the talk and walk the walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
YOU made a terrible vacation decision. Obviously with the nearly 40 million visitors yearly, Vegas is doing something right for all those visitors. Vegas is NOT ALL HYPE because it can deliver on its promise. It talks the talk and walk the walk.
I made a terrible decision how? To stay at one of the most expensive hotels in Vegas?

Orlando has over 51 million visitors a year. Both are built on the premise of fantasy and offer expensive entertainment and a ticky-tacky visitor experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 PM
 
2,621 posts, read 2,709,099 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I made a terrible decision how? To stay at one of the most expensive hotels in Vegas?

Orlando has over 51 million visitors a year. Both are built on the premise of fantasy and offer expensive entertainment and a ticky-tacky visitor experience.

You were unhappy with your vacation decision and you blame it on the destination?!?!?! Did someone put a gun to your head and say you will be going on vacation to Vegas? Need to read more and research the destination, wherever you are going next time, hahahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
You were unhappy with your vacation decision and you blame it on the destination?!?!?! Did someone put a gun to your head and say you will be going on vacation to Vegas? Need to read more and research the destination, wherever you are going next time, hahahaha!
I've never bothered to go there on vacation. I've always gone for conferences or meetings or other work related things. I do a lot of research before I travel when I am going on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 PM
 
2,621 posts, read 2,709,099 times
Reputation: 1492
Oh I see, so now blame it on your work, they booked a convention in Vegas!!! Hahahahaha! Now the plot thickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top