U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Reputation: 13020

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Oh I see, so now blame it on your work, they booked a convention in Vegas!!! Hahahahaha! Now the plot thickens.
I don't know what your problem is. I don't like Las Vegas. A lot of people don't. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 PM
 
2,621 posts, read 2,715,091 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't know what your problem is. I don't like Las Vegas. A lot of people don't. Get over it.

Don't worry I'm so over YOU and there are nearly 40 million visitors to Vegas on a yearly basis so complain all you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
 
Location: VA
1,197 posts, read 1,604,808 times
Reputation: 1070
VEGAS OMG FREAKING LAS VEGAS - I'm not much of a gambler and after a few hours of wandering the strip I had my fill of the town. Outside of the strip? HA! It's basically one gigantic cookie cutter suburban development with no character and that's saying something considering I'm from LA. Buffets are dime a dozen and I've had much better for less in other places. I think I'll stick with Macau for towns with a huge gambling industry but yet still manages to retain its charm aka there's a ton of **** to do outside gambling.

Tokyo - yes the people are friendly, the streets are clean and the metro is very efficient but holy cow this place makes LA look affordable. The epic levels of consumerism present here is just....yeah you'll have to see it for yourself. Anyone thinking of visiting Japan, I recommend starting off with Kyoto or Osaka instead.

Beijing - so disappointing, sure the cultural sights were very interesting but the hilariously bad traffic and even worse smog were huge turn offs. I'll take Shanghai and Macau over Beijing anyday of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 PM
 
2,621 posts, read 2,715,091 times
Reputation: 1492
^^^^^It's ok, celebrities, beauty queens, sports personalities, swimsuit models, royalty...... enjoy Vegas so we are in great company!! Hahahaha!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2013, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,328,649 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Vegas is one of the most plastic and sad places I've ever traveled to. There is an underlying feeling of despair. It can be cheap if you don't mind low end hotels and buffet food that is along the lines of what you'll find at a Golden Corral. If you don't want to gamble, there's not much to do that doesn't involve a very expensive ticket to an often not all that great show.
Despite the second part of your post, I can't believe you have actually visited Vegas based on this ridiculously inaccurate description. If you think Vegas hotels are "low-end", don't even think about visiting Toronto or Manhattan unless you want to remortgage your house to be able to afford the luxury accommodations you are apparently used to. As for having nothing to do but gamble in Vegas... Good lord. Las Vegas is an entertainment mecca that has dozens of extremely affordable high-end shows to see, and most tickets can be purchased for 60% of the regular price. I won't even go into how Las Vegas is considered a culinary capital of the world. If can't find anything better that Golden Corral while in Vegas, you can't be looking too bloody hard. Trust me... There is a LOT more to Vegas dining than McDonald's and Denny's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2013, 08:28 AM
 
9,235 posts, read 9,303,002 times
Reputation: 28948
San Diego. Winters there are really too cold to do much at the beach. No one goes to the beach when it rains. After you have gone to the beach, the zoo, and looked around town I run out of things to do.

Virtually every destination in the Caribbean Islands. I found the poverty in St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Antiqua, and Martinique overwhelmed me and the natural beauty of these places was not enough to compensate for it. It made me realize just how bad Puerto Rico would be if it were not for all the economic investment and assistance from the USA.

Montreal, Canada. A rather large dirty city with awful traffic. I honestly felt that Toronto had more charm.

On the other hand, I rather like Las Vegas. I would never spend more than a day or two there. Those who just sit around in a casino all day long aren't going to think much of it. However, its exciting to walk the Strip at night, there are lots and lots of food choices, its not particularly expensive, and if you get out of the city and take the time to view the desert scenery its quite worthwhile. No city its size has the entertainment options that it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 AM
 
13,350 posts, read 25,612,945 times
Reputation: 20624
I'm intrigued that so many of people's postings are about cities. How about places that aren't cities that are over-hyped in people's opinions?
For instance, most of the U.S. West. You don't go to the Mountain West for cities (unless you're a fan of Phoenix and places like it). It's the landscapes, the space, the areas for skiing or horseback riding or fishing or some outdoor passion. (Mine is horseback riding and driving through those spaces). The geology sights in Utah are unparalleled, but I wouldn't go to Salt Lake City for a vacation. Etc.
Add- in the off-chance that Haiti has been over-hyped, I will save all readers the trouble of checking for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Despite the second part of your post, I can't believe you have actually visited Vegas based on this ridiculously inaccurate description. If you think Vegas hotels are "low-end",
Did I ever say Vegas hotels are low end? No, I did not. I said that "It can be cheap if you don't mind low end hotels"

Quote:
don't even think about visiting Toronto or Manhattan unless you want to remortgage your house to be able to afford the luxury accommodations you are apparently used to.
I've stayed in the Presidential suite as well as another suite (the only one in the entire hotel with a balcony) in the Metropolitan Hotel in TO--neither were that expensive. I prefer the Metropolitan to the Fairmont.

I've also stayed in a number of hotels in NYC, including the "not all that" Waldorf and the "amazing" Four Seasons. They tend to be expensive for a decent place--the Waldorf is overpriced.

I've paid just as much to stay at the Bellagio--a room there is considerably more than a comparable room at the Metropolitan and similar to NYC prices for comparable hotels.

Quote:
As for having nothing to do but gamble in Vegas... Good lord. Las Vegas is an entertainment mecca that has dozens of extremely affordable high-end shows to see, and most tickets can be purchased for 60% of the regular price.
Your idea and my idea of "high-end shows" must be very different. I guess the luxury of living in NYC for a few years where I could regularly score half price Broadway tickets for the cost of standing in line for an hour has set the bar for me. I did love "O" when I saw it, worth the $150 per ticket. I'd also like to see "Love."

Quote:
I won't even go into how Las Vegas is considered a culinary capital of the world. If can't find anything better that Golden Corral while in Vegas, you can't be looking too bloody hard. Trust me... There is a LOT more to Vegas dining than McDonald's and Denny's.
I never said there wasn't good food. I was responding to someone who said Las Vegas is cheap. To eat good food in Las Vegas you aren't eating cheap. Dinner at Le Cirque will set you back $500 for two. Alex would have as well, unfortunately it closed. Joel Robuchon will run $650 for two--not including alcohol.

Sure, you can go to Vegas and have a great time--if you're willing to drop $2500+ for a weekend--not including gambling losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
San Diego. Winters there are really too cold to do much at the beach. No one goes to the beach when it rains. After you have gone to the beach, the zoo, and looked around town I run out of things to do.
Agreed. It's a great place to live, but for a tourist, there's just not a whole lot to do once you've been there for a few days.

Quote:
Montreal, Canada. A rather large dirty city with awful traffic. I honestly felt that Toronto had more charm.
I prefer Ottawa City.

Quote:
On the other hand, I rather like Las Vegas. I would never spend more than a day or two there. Those who just sit around in a casino all day long aren't going to think much of it. However, its exciting to walk the Strip at night, there are lots and lots of food choices, its not particularly expensive, and if you get out of the city and take the time to view the desert scenery its quite worthwhile. No city its size has the entertainment options that it does.
I think it's expensive to eat good food and sleep in a good hotel. There's just so much "people watching you can do. I don't gamble (don't have a problem with it, just don't enjoy it) and that's really the allure in my opinion. I'm also not big on deserts. Best thing I ever did in Vegas (other than seeing "O") was to drive out to the Hoover Dam pre-9/11) and take the "Hard Hat Tour." That would have been worth the trip to Vegas if they were still running it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,328,649 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Did I ever say Vegas hotels are low end? No, I did not. I said that "It can be cheap if you don't mind low end hotels"
That's the same thing, isn't it? You are implying anything affordable is low-end and/or shabby and that is simply not true. Flying from Toronto, the vast majority of the flight and hotel cost Las Vegas is for the flight. There are many mid-range hotels in Vegas that are cheap by Toronto or NY standards and offer a lot more in amenities then any hotel of comparable price in either of them, at literally a fraction of the cost.

Quote:
I've stayed in the Presidential suite as well as another suite (the only one in the entire hotel with a balcony) in the Metropolitan Hotel in TO--neither were that expensive. I prefer the Metropolitan to the Fairmont.
The Toronto Fairmont is way overpriced. The rooms are closets and there was nothing about the experience that justifies the inflated cost of staying there.

Quote:
I've paid just as much to stay at the Bellagio--a room there is considerably more than a comparable room at the Metropolitan and similar to NYC prices for comparable hotels.
Ah yes... The Bellagio. Where a bottle of watery lager runs you at $9 and a hand of blackjack is $25. No wonder you think Vegas is expensive staying there.

Quote:
Your idea and my idea of "high-end shows" must be very different. I guess the luxury of living in NYC for a few years where I could regularly score half price Broadway tickets for the cost of standing in line for an hour has set the bar for me. I did love "O" when I saw it, worth the $150 per ticket. I'd also like to see "Love."
My brother and sister-in-law saw "O" for half price by standing in line 15 minutes at the same kind of ticket reseller you'll find in NYC. We could have went with them, but bought Penn and Teller tickets at 40% off instead. I guess you didn't know that discount tickets are just as easily obtained in Las Vegas as they are in NYC. IIRC, all the Cirque shows were discounted with the exception of the newest one ("Love"?).

Quote:
I never said there wasn't good food. I was responding to someone who said Las Vegas is cheap. To eat good food in Las Vegas you aren't eating cheap. Dinner at Le Cirque will set you back $500 for two. Alex would have as well, unfortunately it closed. Joel Robuchon will run $650 for two--not including alcohol.
Good Lord... So you think anything less than a $500 meal for two is "Golden Corral" quality?

BTW: If you can afford to regularly eat $500 and $650 meals on vacation, I fail to see how you can complain about any place being "too expensive". It's as laughable as buying a Ferrari and complaining about the gas mileage.

Quote:
Sure, you can go to Vegas and have a great time--if you're willing to drop $2500+ for a weekend--not including gambling losses.
That's simply ridiculous. I have never dropped $2500 in a weekend anywhere, and have had a great time in Vegas every time I have went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top