U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
FYI, I have spent far more than 2000 nights in hotels. I have stayed at the best in NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas. Vancouver, Montreal, Mexico, etc. Yes, I have also stayed in a few Comfort Inns and like properties because they were the best in the location I was staying. I have also eaten at the best restaurants in all these places. My best friend was a VP with Hilton Hotels Nevada operations later called Park Place Entertainment and then Caesar's Entertainment which it is now called except it is owned by Harrah's.

I doubt you even know what 2 companies own 90% of the hotel properties on the strip.
That's a no brainer. Harrah's (Caesars) and MGM. Even after he lost some of his properties to Kerkorian, Wynn would have the third largest number. Anyone who reads a newspaper with any regularity would know this.

Quote:
I don't care what you claim to be. All we see is somebody who knows nothing at all about hotels and restaurants and is simply a troll bashing Las Vegas with a bunch of nonsense.
Think what you want. I know where I've been, where I've stayed, and where I've dined, and that with a very few exceptions, there's nothing in Las Vegas that even comes close to best in class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,710,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
For me, the most over rated cities I have lived in or visited are:

1. [b]Vancouver Canada[b]
2. Victoria Canada
3. Toronto Canada.

I lived in Vancouver and Victoria and have worked and stayed in Toronto. I have also visited all 3 as a tourist in the last couple years.

They just don't begin to live up to their hype and are very expensive.

I do love New York City. We visit every summer for a couple weeks staying in mid-Manhattan.
I don't think Vancouver is overated but I was a bit disappointed with the meals I've had during my one week of vacation there. It is nothing compared to what I would normally have here in Vegas. I love the public art pieces scattered around town and Stanley Park in Vancouver.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,004,620 times
The thread is reminding me of an old song:

Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much - YouTube

Old 02-17-2013, 10:01 PM

9,262 posts, read 10,918,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Wow. Just wow. There are a LOT of disappointed people on this thread! I thank my lucky start that my expectations aren't too high, since I've loved every place I've traveled to, and would eagerly go back!

I wouldn't go back every place I've been to, but I appreciate every place I've been. Glass half-full, I guess.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,373,205 times
I happen to think that big slabs of rock are overrated. Natural spots like Zion National Park, the Grand Canyon, Moab Utah, the Rocky Mountains. I find them exceedingly boring. Oh yes, pretty the first time you see them, but after that...it's just more and more and more of the same.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I wouldn't go back every place I've been to, but I appreciate every place I've been. Glass half-full, I guess.
I appreciate many of the places I've been, but not all of them. It's pretty hard to appreciate places like Flint, Gary, and Camden, other than to appreciate the fact that you don't have to live there.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,323,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I appreciate many of the places I've been, but not all of them. It's pretty hard to appreciate places like Flint, Gary, and Camden, other than to appreciate the fact that you don't have to live there.
I have no idea why anyone would willingly visit any of these places unless they were simply passing them on the interstate on their way someplace else. I've passed both Flint and Gary driving to Chicago from Toronto and was never the least bit inspired to drop in for a look around.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I have no idea why anyone would willingly visit any of these places unless they were simply passing them on the interstate on their way someplace else. I've passed both Flint and Gary driving to Chicago from Toronto and was never the least bit inspired to drop in for a look around.
I've had to go to all three for business meetings. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM

797 posts, read 1,128,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
since the topic was----------" travel places over rated"----------I doubt Gary or Flint could be considered a tourist travel destination .
( and I for sure doubt EITHER is..."overrated")

Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM

733 posts, read 854,216 times
The most overrated place I have been to has got to be the POLITICS AND OTHER CONTROVERSIES sub-forum

Its dirty and smelly, the locals are just plain rude and arrogant ...dont fall for the hype
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or