U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,336,164 times

Advertisements

I hate this thread.

In the past 40 years, since I was just a teenager in High School, I have traveled far and wide. I have visited somewhere between 90 to 95 countries on six continents. From 1994 through 1998 I was in the Royal Merchant Navy of the UK (I am an American though).

I am a world traveler.

I love travel and it is my #1 hobby. I have been far above the Arctic Circle to the northmost human settlement shy of the North Pole. I have been through both the Suez and Panama Canals. I sailed on the Nile, the Rhine, the Ganges, and the Amazon. I have seen the top of Mount Everest.

To paraphrase Will Rogers "I have never been to a place I didn't like"!!!

Before taking a trip I study about the place weeks in advance. I can construct a few basic sentances in Russian, Thai, or Arabic.

Paris, France over-rated???? Seriously???!!!!

San Francisco over-rated???? Sheesh.

Yes, some places are more interesting than others (I am much more fond of Bruges, Belgium than Brussels, Belgium); some people are initially more friendly than others (Nepalese are much friendlier than, say, the Omani).

I just don't know how some people can judge an entire city or a people based on just a few they met or one or two visits.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,184,337 times
As far as places where I have visited and felt were to be "over-hyped" I would include Paris, Rome, Orlando (most of Florida actually), Boston, Dublin, and Toronto. That's not to say that I have not have had any good or unique experiences visiting them but I just felt they were sort of a let down compared with their reputation.

Actually to be honest I have had more fun visiting places that were off the tourism radar such as the various rural towns in Italy, Wales, Argentina, and developing countries such as Guatemala, Colombia, Ecuador, and Honduras since it is pretty affordable and I get to obtain a unique experience compared with your typical tourism destinations where everything is overpriced and the locals are so used to dealing with outsiders.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,886,776 times
For me Aruba..vastly over rated

Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,357,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
As far as places where I have visited and felt were to be "over-hyped" I would include Paris, Rome, Orlando (most of Florida actually), Boston, Dublin, and Toronto. That's not to say that I have not have had any good or unique experiences visiting them but I just felt they were sort of a let down compared with their reputation.

Actually to be honest I have had more fun visiting places that were off the tourism radar such as the various rural towns in Italy, Wales, Argentina, and developing countries such as Guatemala, Colombia, Ecuador, and Honduras since it is pretty affordable and I get to obtain a unique experience compared with your typical tourism destinations where everything is overpriced and the locals are so used to dealing with outsiders.
Toronto definitely.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,615,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Paris, France over-rated???? Seriously???!!!!
Well, no. I think what that poster was trying to say that Paris was too French.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:01 PM

629 posts, read 492,504 times
Overrated Places I've Been:

Los Angeles - smoggy and frankly ugly compared to much of what is arguably the most beautiful state in the contiguous U.S. As cities go, San Francisco is light years ahead of it, and I'd rather spend a day in Big Sur/Monterey Bay than a year in L.A.

Caribbean Cruises/All Inclusive Resorts - for the life of me I just don't understand why anyone would use their precious vacation time for this. I did this twice in my very early 20's as part of a group/wedding and would never do it of my own volition. My experience was that you largely eat bland American food, stay surrounded entirely by Americans, and learn almost nothing about different cultures or cuisines. To me, that's not what travel is about. Thanks but no thanks.

The Hamptons, NY - beaches are fine but I've seen far better. The land is largely flat so there's not much natural beauty. Everything is outrageously overpriced, and I can't stand the rampant materialism and snobbery. Same reason I dislike L.A. and suspect that I would dislike Miami.

Underrated Places I've Been:

Ireland - great combination of natural beauty and history/architecture. Incredibly nice locals, and reasonable prices. Spent a week in counties Kerry and Clare and absolutely loved it. Never heard anyone say bad things about Ireland, but it's so very rarely mentioned as a top European destination, but should be.

Portugal - many others have mentioned this. Entirely overshadowed by neighboring travel powerhouse Spain, this country has natural beauty, terrific food, diverse and gorgeous architecture, very friendly and helpful locals, and amazing food. Spent a week in Lisbon/Sintra/Evora and could not have been more impressed.

Istanbul - the city has so much to offer from a historical/cultural perspective, but I rarely hear of Americans wanting to visit. Loved the food and, other than the aggressive merchants, loved everything about the city.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:26 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Hong Kong and Seoul

Old 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Toronto definitely.

20yrsinBranson
Who overhyped Toronto, exactly?

It is not exactly a tourist city, or has many exciting attractions, but I thought everyone knows it and the city is hardly overrated (because it is hardly that highly rated in the first place).

If at all, Vancouver is overrated. Many tourists, especially Asians, insist on visiting Vancouver when they come to Canada, when in fact there is not much to see. Yes, the mountains are there , but so do so many other places in the world. Snow mountains are not exactly hard to find on this planet.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:30 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post

Los Angeles - smoggy and frankly ugly compared to much of what is arguably the most beautiful state in the contiguous U.S. As cities go, San Francisco is light years ahead of it, and I'd rather spend a day in Big Sur/Monterey Bay than a year in L.A.

Caribbean Cruises/All Inclusive Resorts - for the life of me I just don't understand why anyone would use their precious vacation time for this. I did this twice in my very early 20's as part of a group/wedding and would never do it of my own volition. My experience was that you largely eat bland American food, stay surrounded entirely by Americans, and learn almost nothing about different cultures or cuisines. To me, that's not what travel is about. Thanks but no thanks.

The Hamptons, NY - beaches are fine but I've seen far better. The land is largely flat so there's not much natural beauty. Everything is outrageously overpriced, and I can't stand the rampant materialism and snobbery. Same reason I dislike L.A. and suspect that I would dislike Miami.

Underrated Places I've Been:

Ireland - great combination of natural beauty and history/architecture. Incredibly nice locals, and reasonable prices. Spent a week in counties Kerry and Clare and absolutely loved it. Never heard anyone say bad things about Ireland, but it's so very rarely mentioned as a top European destination, but should be.

Portugal - many others have mentioned this. Entirely overshadowed by neighboring travel powerhouse Spain, this country has natural beauty, terrific food, diverse and gorgeous architecture, very friendly and helpful locals, and amazing food. Spent a week in Lisbon/Sintra/Evora and could not have been more impressed.

Istanbul - the city has so much to offer from a historical/cultural perspective, but I rarely hear of Americans wanting to visit. Loved the food and, other than the aggressive merchants, loved everything about the city.
agree.
Los Angeles has nothing to see. Hollywood blvd and Hollywood sign? that's stupid. Caribbean? yuck.

Lisbon and Istanbul are indeed wonderful places and are probably underrated, although the latter is getting increasingly popular.

Not sure about Ireland, have yet to see it.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:16 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,484,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post

I love Big Sur and Monterey Bay but they are not San Francisco.

Quote:
Caribbean Cruises/All Inclusive Resorts - for the life of me I just don't understand why anyone would use their precious vacation time for this.
I agree. I don't do cruises or all inclusives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or