U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 01:31 PM

629 posts, read 494,504 times

Advertisements

[quote=Roadking2003;39809670]I love Big Sur and Monterey Bay but they are not San Francisco.

I know, my sentence was sloppily written. My point was that as far as California cities go, San Francisco is way nicer than L.A. And as California is a gorgeous state in general, I much prefer places like Big Sur and Monterey to a place like Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 04:42 PM

29,554 posts, read 16,518,343 times
[quote=BD1978;39809895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I love Big Sur and Monterey Bay but they are not San Francisco.

I know, my sentence was sloppily written. My point was that as far as California cities go, San Francisco is way nicer than L.A. And as California is a gorgeous state in general, I much prefer places like Big Sur and Monterey to a place like Los Angeles.
I also don't like LA. And SF is not high on my list either. I much prefer Sonoma County, Monterey Bay and the central coast.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:11 PM

520 posts, read 349,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Absolutely agree with you about Frisco. It is an overrated suburb of Dallas. Its only real claim to fame is that it has a minor league baseball and a minor league hockey team. And an IKEA store.

Ha, ha...Frisco means San Francisco

Old 09-13-2016, 03:30 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,495,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
We have some kindred souls here. Portugal is one of my favorite places in the world and I've been many times. I think that many people who go to Europe don't get there because it's at an "end," and not on the way to another country.
Only been once, but, man, I sure did enjoy it!!!

Old 09-13-2016, 03:49 PM

520 posts, read 349,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I think that you are fighting a losing battle. BUT you are right,

Some people drive at 70-80 mph through Nevada and see no beauty in the desert.

Nearly every January, I spend a week in Las Vegas. Everyday, we either head to Death Valley, to the Mohave Desert, Red Rock Canyon , and the like.

During the summer months, we head on out to Elko and check out Lemoille Canyon and the Ruby Mountains.
===
I agree. I think the desert is an acquired taste. I would start newbies with dawn or winter or both. Then ease them into 5pm 115 degrees in July.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,495,714 times
Love seeing so many mentions of Portugal and Lisbon as being underrated.. God I loved it there!

As far as overrated... Marrakesh Morocco. God I hated nearly everything about it, other than having some pretty good meals. People were insanely pushy and sketchy, confusing to get around anywhere, dirty.. just overall a very poor experience. We had read so many articles about how that was a great place to go, one of the coolest places to travel to... Wrong!

Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,757,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
Ha, ha...Frisco means San Francisco
Not to Californians. Calling San Francisco "Frisco" is a definite no no.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:53 AM

6,780 posts, read 5,137,786 times
London. Hated it.

Berlin and Prague are kinda overrated as well imo.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:47 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,167,514 times
Paris is so overrated that the chasm between hype and reality (following video) is becoming ridiculous :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Df7j_b4CkI

Old 09-14-2016, 08:43 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,569,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
For me, the most over rated cities I have lived in or visited are:

1. Vancouver Canada
2. Victoria Canada
3. Toronto Canada.

I lived in Vancouver and Victoria and have worked and stayed in Toronto. I have also visited all 3 as a tourist in the last couple years.

They just don't begin to live up to their hype and are very expensive.

I do love New York City. We visit every summer for a couple weeks staying in mid-Manhattan.
I just did a week long tour of Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver, & Whistle. I was not impress with Vancouver especially with the Weed smell everywhere in Entertainment district (I was not expecting that). Ugly tall skyscraper, homeless people in street, weed smell everywhere & just lot of people for no good reason. But I loved my trip to Vancouver because it allowed me to visit Whistle & the suspension Bridge. Outside of the city is beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or