U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 06:55 AM

3,215 posts, read 3,206,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas are similar to Cancun in that they are resort communities that cater primarily to Americans/Canadians. If you were really looking for a authentic culture experience in Mexico itself you should have ventured into the interior towns and cities such as Taxco, Mexico DF, Puebla, or Cuernavaca (plus since those cities are at 7,000ft above sea level the climate will be much more temperate as well).
Interesting opinions here.

I am considering a 2 week trip to Mexico in Decemeber and was thinking of doing:

San Miguel De Allende
Guanajuato
Merida (?)
Isla Holbox
Ending in either Playa del Carmen or Isla Mujeres

Spent just a weekend in the DF last Sept and really enjoyed it (enough to go back some other time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 07:16 AM

7,750 posts, read 4,764,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If at all, Vancouver is overrated.
I've been to Vancouver and Victoria multiple times and sure, they're as touristy as anywhere. But what I like about both places is the time travel effect.

There are buildings, stores, cafes, etc. in Canada that are straight out of my childhood (the Fifties). Nothing has changed. Drugstores with soda fountains, for heaven's sake. The last time I saw one of those was 20 years ago in the Midwest.

We tear down aging buildings here in the U.S. and rush to replace them with something shiny and new. That's especially true of where I live in Northern California, where right now there are giant excavations in progress where shopping centers used to be. Gotta build hundreds of new people kennels, you know.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:55 AM

3,215 posts, read 3,206,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Overrrated destinations:

Bangkok, dirty and only temples worth it.
Barcelona, nothing special.
Washington DC, nothing special (just the famous places)
Cambridge, I expected more.

I can't remember more, I should give another oportunity to these cities
I know this is an ancient post, but.......

Old 09-29-2016, 07:33 AM

1,465 posts, read 638,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Paris, France.

I think it's the most overrated major, global city that I've ever been in. I have previously lived there and have made trips both before and after my time living there as well, so I like to think that I can make a somewhat informed personal opinion on the place. Don't get me wrong, I, by no means, hate Paris or anything to that nature. I just think that it's extremely overrated.

So here goes:

I think it's an extremely dirty city (dirtier than Tokyo for sure, NYC, or London imo). The Parisians aren't, on a whole, the friendliest bunch around and I think residents in many other cities tend to be a lot nicer and more helpful. The Parisians really do seem to have a chip on their shoulders about something (many people in the rest of France, who are generally completely lovely btw, will tell you the same thing). As dumb as this sounds, I don't think that the city is nearly as glamorous, stylish, or chic as one might think from the way that it is always talked about and portrayed to be. I don't really believe in stereotypes, but one that I kinda found to be true is that there is dog cr*p all over the place. It's the capital of one of the most important and technologically advanced nations on earth, but still.....everywhere. They can invent a nuclear bomb, but not a pooper scooper lol ). Also, I think the city kind of smells in general in certain areas. Another rather dumb and obvious point is that the food, although always delicious, is mainly just French food. I know that sounds so stupid, but the amount/ variety of different ethnic foods available is seriously lacking in comparison to other major world cities on Paris's level imo (i.e. NYC, Tokyo, London). The gypsies are the worst of any place that I've ever been to (one time, for example, I was actually physically grabbed and pulled by a gypsy trying to get me to buy one of their bracelets; something that I've never experienced anywhere else). The architecture (again so stunning but...), apart from some of the main attractions like the Opera House, Louvre, Hotel de Ville, etc., all looks kind of the same (especially true of most of the apartment buildings). Again, don't get me wrong, the city is stunning, but, like I said, some of the architecture can seem really repetitive at times (although, I suppose this is also true of a lot of other cities as well).

Paris just doesn't seem as international and global as the other cities that it is compared to (NYC, London, Tokyo). To me, Paris feels very French, while the others, while they definitely maintain a myriad of attributes from the countries that they're situated in, feel much more international imho. Obviously though, Paris is a major, global city, and I think everyone knows that, but I don't think as much so as the aforementioned three.

I think everyone should go visit Paris at least once, if they get the chance because it really is an amazing city, just a bit overrated imo lol. I love France but I think the best parts of the country are outside of its capital city.

Chacun à son goût, mon ami,
Most of the French members of my family live in the north, close to the Belgian border, we even have a couple who jumped ship and live in Belgium itself.
The remainder are scattered around between Bordeaux and Toulouse, so I don't get to Paris often enough.
For me, getting off the Eurostar at Gare du Nord, in the 10th. arrondissement, is how a bookworm must feel if he/she were to walk into the New York Public Library at 42nd and 5th.
Depending on the time I arrive, I may have a coffee, or a glass of wine in the Albert Hotel, on Rue de Fayette, then I'll stroll down Magenta to the Place de la République, before forking off to the right into Le Marais, (which translates as marsh, or swamp), there are many beautiful buildings there and a whole slew of good restaurants and bars, including Café Marais on Rue des Haudriettes, Le Mary Celeste, a good bar on Rue Commines, I'm fascinated that it's called Le Mary, as Le indicates masculine, but Mary is obviously feminine, but I digress, I can spend hours in Le Marais, there's always something new to catch your eye.
If I'm on a day trip, I have to think of getting back to Gare du Nord to catch the Eurostar, so I'll meander along the back streets to Place des Vosges, from there it's around 2 minutes to Place de la Bastille, where I can catch the # 5 Bobigny metro train to Gare du Nord.
Personally I can't get enough of Paris, dog crap or no, and it helps as I can handle the language.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:48 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,214,023 times
I will chime in as well regarding Las Vegas. I know people that go once a year. It is not my thing. It felt juvenile and dangerous to me. My husband and I got married there in the 90's. Mainly wanting a cheap wedding and I lacked creativity on where to go. We saw a few fights break out on our way to get the marriage license. We stayed at the Luxor which at that time was only a year old and that part of the strip was dead. Ran into some shady characters on the way back to the hotel in the early hour.

Then in 2005 or 2006, a friend of mine had moved out there and really wanted me to visit. I got a free plane ticket from a family member and decided to take the trip. I stayed at the NY NY and that part of the strip had grown so much I barely recognized it. It felt more rowdy. When I would get settled in my room, I'd watch the local news. Yikes. Found a guy in the hallway in the hotel that looked dead but he passed out from drinking too much. After the second night I noticed bites on my legs and realized my room had bed bugs. Ugh. The highlight of that trip was being offered a bump up to first class from the airline on the way home.

Last edited by fallingwater; 10-05-2016 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-09-2016, 09:11 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think San Francisco is somewhat overrated. One must throw in Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur and the Sierras to kick it up some.

The city is really small, accommodations are very expensive, a lot of the tourist sites are kitsch, and the ocean is not suited for swimming, unless you've packed a wet suit. I think a lot of tourists are wowed by the vistas but, after seeing them a few times, they're not as powerful. The views which include bridges are obviously the best - from Marin Co viewpoint toward the city and from Treasure Island toward the city.

It's not a city that merits paying through the nose to live there. I actually think Seattle has better vistas because of the snow-capped mountains captured from almost everywhere when the weather cools.

San Francisco reminds me of a cake with baked on gingerbread houses that shouldn't be eaten.

Let's face this fact: San Francisco is not even pretty. Whatever it offers is easily replaceable elsewhere.

I just feel sorry for those who claim to be in "love" with SF. They should travel more, seriously.

SF is more suitable as a local destination for those who live within 5 hours of drive and spend a long weekend there. For me to spend more than $500 and the so-called "bay area", no thanks. Money can be better spent elsewhere.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I will chime in as well regarding Las Vegas. I know people that go once a year. It is not my thing. It felt juvenile and dangerous to me. My husband and I got married there in the 90's. Mainly wanting a cheap wedding and I lacked creativity on where to go. We saw a few fights break out on our way to get the marriage license. We stayed at the Luxor which at that time was only a year old and that part of the strip was dead. Ran into some shady characters on the way back to the hotel in the early hour.

Then in 2005 or 2006, a friend of mine had moved out there and really wanted me to visit. I got a free plane ticket from a family member and decided to take the trip. I stayed at the NY NY and that part of the strip had grown so much I barely recognized it. It felt more rowdy. When I would get settled in my room, I'd watch the local news. Yikes. Found a guy in the hallway in the hotel that looked dead but he passed out from drinking too much. After the second night I noticed bites on my legs and realized my room had bed bugs. Ugh. The highlight of that trip was being offered a bump up to first class from the airline on the way home.
Whoever goes to Vegas more than once must have some serious bad taste. Go anywhere off the strip it is an ugly North American suburb.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
For me, the most over rated cities I have lived in or visited are:

1. Vancouver Canada
2. Victoria Canada
3. Toronto Canada.

I lived in Vancouver and Victoria and have worked and stayed in Toronto. I have also visited all 3 as a tourist in the last couple years.

They just don't begin to live up to their hype and are very expensive.

I do love New York City. We visit every summer for a couple weeks staying in mid-Manhattan.

Agree about Vancouver. It is pretty (the nature not the city, which is boring) but I would say as a travel destination it doesn't offer much.

Victoria: is that even a tourist city? Who actually visit Victoria unless they are already in lower BC have nothing to do? Spending 3 hours in Victoria and you are bored.

Toronto: wait, people even consider spending money, the insane Canadian air fare to visit a city like Toronto? Please don't do it unless it is fully reimbursed by your company. For Americans, go to see Chicago, at a much lower cost and get 200% more. Or Montreal, which is at least somewhat charming, Or spend a bit more and see NYC. There is nothing to "visit" in Toronto. A third class "museum" would charge you $15 and some half-ass "castle" barely 100 years old is more expensive than Versailles or the Alhambra.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:40 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,333,801 times
Default Florida Keys

The Florida Keys is totally overrated. Limited number of beaches, the ones you can enjoy are dirty and littered unless you stay at a resort and pay through the nose. Key West has become nothing more than a sleazy town, door to door bars and a freak show. Shopping is basically non-existent unless you are looking for a designer store and even those are far and few.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
The Florida Keys is totally overrated. Limited number of beaches, the ones you can enjoy are dirty and littered unless you stay at a resort and pay through the nose. Key West has become nothing more than a sleazy town, door to door bars and a freak show. Shopping is basically non-existent unless you are looking for a designer store and even those are far and few.
I just don't understand those who have the dream to drive from Miami to Key West. Such a cliche thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or