U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,206,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I agree with you. Botti has this hangup about urban density. He thinks everybody should live on top of each other in tiny little boxes likes ants in an anthill.

Not for me, my wife and I are very happy living in our 3,200 sq. ft. single story home with our own pool in the backyard.
I agree, I can't stand being in high density places for too long. Even my suburb is too much sometimes. I prefer to be in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 12:20 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I agree, I can't stand being in high density places for too long. Even my suburb is too much sometimes. I prefer to be in nature.
Then live in nature.
Yet you don't.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:01 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,206,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Then live in nature.
Yet you don't.
It's called making money. There aren't jobs in my field in the wilderness.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:53 AM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 12 days ago)

7,356 posts, read 2,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
I've gotten to travel quite a bit in my life. I will start by saying that there is not one single place I have ever been that I wouldn't go back to. But with limited time and money, there are a few that stand out as much less appealing.

-Hawaii. I just don't get it. Sure it's pretty, but "pretty" doesn't make it a worthwhile destination. I can't for the life of me understand why my fellow Americans are so obsessed with this place. You buy an expensive ticket and travel for hours and hours and when you arrive you haven't even gone anywhere--you're in the same d*mn country you were in when you started!

-Cancun. The city has no heart, it's just a bunch of resorts. The whole experience from the moment you arrive in the airport seems designed to allow Americans to say they have "been to Mexico" while almost pathologically avoiding anything remotely Mexican. Hell, many of the shops wouldn't even take their own country's money! They required US dollars for payment. Considering an all inclusive resort trip to Cancun? Don't! Save yourself a few thousand dollars and get wasted on cheap tequila in your own home. The experience will be just as "Mexican" as what you would find in Cancun.

-Disney. It was a fun place to go as a kid (well, Epcot anyway), but I don't see why people would go multiple times or why adults would be interested. I also find it almost horrifying how much planning some people put into their visits and how that sort of thing has become almost necessary since the last time I was there 15 years ago. I have friends who took their honeymoon to Disney, and they planned out exactly what attractions they were going to visit at what exact times each day and exactly where they would eat at exactly what times MONTHS in advance. If it's not a Michelin starred restaurant there is no way I am interested in making reservations months ahead of time.

I've never been to Vegas, but if I had I bet it would be on my list as well. The people watching would surely be fun, but beyond that it doesn't seem to have much of anything to offer that would interest me.
I can't disagree more. In Cancun, did you go outside of the hotel area at all? There's much more to it than tourists and hotels. Isla Mujeres, Tulum...?

Old 02-20-2017, 05:23 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,745,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I can't disagree more. In Cancun, did you go outside of the hotel area at all? There's much more to it than tourists and hotels. Isla Mujeres, Tulum...?
It is true that Cancun is definitely not a typical Mexican city. It was built for tourism and lacks the Mexican culture. Having said that there are interesting places out of Cancun. We prefer the Rivera Maya down by Playa del Carmen.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:10 AM

3,662 posts, read 6,483,307 times
Quote:
Agreed... While Cancun can be as American as you want, there are some real gems outside of Cancun

Old 02-21-2017, 04:55 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,631,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Paris, Rome, New York, San Francisco, London overrated.... unbelievable! I just can't imagine what people expect them to be, perhaps clean theme parks?
In what way are they overrated? They are cities that have just about every amenity you can have, if you are looking for city breaks then I can't see how they would disappoint? Of course if you want to ski then perhaps they're not for you!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:03 PM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Sad to see someone who doesn't make enough effort to get out of the tourism bubble somewhere, then complains it's touristy and not authentic.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:09 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Agreed... While Cancun can be as American as you want, there are some real gems outside of Cancun
I'd love to here some suggestions from people on places outside of Cancun (besides Playa del Carmen). Especially if anyone has experience with any of the following areas:

Merida
Isla Holbox
Guanajuato
San Miguel de Allende
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or