U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 PM

9,253 posts, read 10,907,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've been to Athens, and while I'm not opposed to going back, it's not at the top of my list. Once you've seen the various museums and antiquity sites, and maybe shopped a bit in the Plaka, there's just not much more to do, and it's just not that attractive of a city. (It's got a Soviet Bloc concrete look about it in my opinion.)

I'll agree the Greek Islands are gorgeous, but Croatia is far more beautiful.
Having been to Athens many times, I never thought about it that way, but you're right! Having said that, I still love the place in all it's craziness. I'm an odd duck when it comes to that city, I only know one other person who loves it, most people who visit do not like it at all except for the sites and Plaka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 PM

216 posts, read 360,567 times
2 words: Las Vegas.

Easily the worst thing that humanity has ever conjured up in our evil little heads.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,695,505 times
Hawaii,
you can find the same thing in the Caribbean (1/2 the distance) and get to see many different cultures and languages.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I think I could more easily come up with places that are under-rated. Portugal, for one.
Portugal is hands down my top 3 places to visit! I absolutely love it there

Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,608,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Nobody I talk to rates Athens highly. Everyone pretty much agrees that you get in, see the important sights such as the Acropolis, and get out. Seeing the Parthenon was meaningful to me, but Athens is crowded and not the cleanest place. We had an okay experience with the airport, which is not always the case for me in the USA.
Athens:
1) The Acropolis, which includes the Parthenon - no more than 2 hours required, unless you want detailed tours - not for me
2) The National Archaeological Museum
3) changing of the guard at Syntagma Square, the Parliament House (happens hourly)
4) The Plaka, the old town, to which the Cathedral, small, is within walking distance

That's it! I'm sure Athenians would get pissed at this. Oh yeah, the metro station (nice system) at Akropoli has at least one huge picture of Melina Mercouri on the actual tunnel wall.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,608,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
Portugal is hands down my top 3 places to visit! I absolutely love it there
We have some kindred souls here. Portugal is one of my favorite places in the world and I've been many times. I think that many people who go to Europe don't get there because it's at an "end," and not on the way to another country.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
We have some kindred souls here. Portugal is one of my favorite places in the world and I've been many times. I think that many people who go to Europe don't get there because it's at an "end," and not on the way to another country.
I kinda hope it stays that way.... It's relatively cheap, and the people are fantastic. For me I enjoy a place that is quite inexpensive and has wonderful locals that welcome you with open arms.
That is true though - most people wouldn't go there simply because it's "Spains pimple" (as I heard one fellow traveler call it).

Old 09-26-2012, 11:38 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,157,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Absolutely agree with you about Frisco. It is an overrated suburb of Dallas. Its only real claim to fame is that it has a minor league baseball and a minor league hockey team. And an IKEA store.
No, it's a little ski resort town in Colorado.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 AM

438 posts, read 560,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
2 words: Las Vegas.

Easily the worst thing that humanity has ever conjured up in our evil little heads.

I agree, can't stand the place.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:05 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Hawaii,
you can find the same thing in the Caribbean (1/2 the distance) and get to see many different cultures and languages.
We were actually pleasantly surprised by Hawaii. I went there half-expecting a synthetic, over-priced atmosphere and the only time we experienced that was when we visited an expensive resort. I do enjoy the Caribbean, agree that there is variety there, and from where we live, it is especially easy to get to. But I would not equate the two regions, they are apples and oranges to me.

I agree with others who don't care for Las Vegas, I never did either, but for some it can be a nice spring break away from the snow. See, that is the thing with me, I can always find something *good* about a place.

Haha Larry Siegel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or