U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:48 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,906,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post

I think I could more easily come up with places that are under-rated. Portugal, for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
Portugal is hands down my top 3 places to visit! I absolutely love it there
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
We have some kindred souls here. Portugal is one of my favorite places in the world and I've been many times. I think that many people who go to Europe don't get there because it's at an "end," and not on the way to another country.
For those of you who love Portugal, have you ever been to Spain's region of Galicia or anywhere else on Spain's far northern coast? It is a whole different world from the rest of the country.

Another destination I remembered: Monaco. We got off the train, spent a couple hours, then got back on.
I probably did not need to spend those couple of hours there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,757,895 times
Cancun, hands down. The rest of the Yucatan Peninsula has a lot to offer but the best thing about Cancun is the airport.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM

11,540 posts, read 13,610,871 times
Come on Robert. Really?
Didn't someone just mention this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Venice is NOT overrated, IN MY OPINION. It is too unique to be overrated, IN MY OPINION.

Athens is VERY overrated IN MY OPINION

You "sound" almost offended that someone thinks Venice is over rated....

RE: Portugal. On my bucket list. I have wanted to travel there since I was a young kid. Always been fascinated by it...

Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
I think the Vatican was over-rated. I lagged behind our tour group because they were rushing along and speaking some weird language. I went to find the can and ended up lost and bumped into some high-and-mighty looking dude that I think was the pope and he acted like he didn't understand what I was asking him. I was getting angrier and angrier, he started to cry and ducked into some door and wouldn't answer no matter how loud I pounded on it. Some guys in some ridiculous looking costumes came and kicked me out without a refund.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I guess the difference between Venice and Rome/Florence is in the latter you can actually get away from the mobs of tourists into areas less traveled and eat/shop like the locals do.

One of my favorite things is to go into grocery stores in new places I visit. I have a knack for finding them. Not in Venice though--the entire island seemed set up for tourists rather than locals.
I visited Venice in February. It was cold! Almost no tourists, though.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think the Vatican was over-rated. I lagged behind our tour group because they were rushing along and speaking some weird language. I went to find the can and ended up lost and bumped into some high-and-mighty looking dude that I think was the pope and he acted like he didn't understand what I was asking him. I was getting angrier and angrier, he started to cry and ducked into some door and wouldn't answer no matter how loud I pounded on it. Some guys in some ridiculous looking costumes came and kicked me out without a refund.
I'll second that the Vatican is overrated, although if you are a devout Christian, it is essential. St Peter's Basillica is as impressive as any church I've ever seen (from the inside) Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-27-2012 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: save the politics for the Political & Other Controversies Forum Only!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'll second that the Vatican is overrated, although if you are a devout Christian, it is essential. St Peter's Basillica is as impressive as any church I've ever seen (from the inside) Moderator cut: Off-Topic
Christianity aside, the architecture is amazing, the artwork is stunning, and the history is at time downright appalling!

The Vatican Museum is second probably only to the Louvre world wide if you're into art. Anyone see the Dali hanging alone in the alcove just before the Sistine Chapel, as if it were an after thought?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 PM

15,779 posts, read 9,524,386 times
My husband and I are the other two people who actually enjoyed Athens. Everything we'd read and heard said it's ugly like Beirut and to get in and out in a day or two at most. Despite all the warnings from people with first hand experience we scheduled considerably more time than that and were so glad we did. Granted, though, besides the ruins, it's not an especially attractive looking city.

As for the Vatican and museum - I expected to be underwhelmed and disgusted even though everyone raves about it. On one hand, I was disgusted...but the art and artifacts and the stories behind some of them were beyond anything I'd imagined. We only went because we thought "when in Rome" and really struggled with devoting so much time to it when the rest of the eternal city beckoned. Now that we've been we want to go back!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,605,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Hawaii,
you can find the same thing in the Caribbean (1/2 the distance) and get to see many different cultures and languages.
If you're on the West Coast though it's much easier to get to Hawaii with direct non-stop flights. And it's not the "same thing" as the Carribbean in terms of scenery or culture--they're fairly different destinations. I love the Carribbean culture, but Hawaii has it's own beautiful locations on Kauai and the Big Island. One thing about both locations is that you'd think the poorer nations of the Carribbean would be a bargain compared to Hawaii, but in reality the prices are very similar considering the tourism-based economies of those nations are set up for gouging wealthier Americans.

I went to Jamiaca and it the cost of services was oftern fairly expensive unless you went out of your way to bargain or avoid anything aimed at foreign tourists--including the high price of transportation unless you just took the local buses and community cabs. Several times the hotel I was staying out in Jamaica tried to not let me walk on my own down to a bar at night--trying to get me to pay $20 for a van to go basically a quarter mile--which put me in the weird position of having to sneak out of my own hotel. At least in Hawaii you don't have to deal with that sort of thing.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:20 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
They do that for a reason in Jamaica. A friend of mine was murdered there even AFTER he handed over his valuables in a mugging. The majority of the Caribbean is third world and much of it isn't particularly safe. With Hawaii you would take the same precautions as you would at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or