U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
2 words: Las Vegas.

Easily the worst thing that humanity has ever conjured up in our evil little heads.
Eh, I don't know. It is TACKY. If you stay long enough, it can be DEPRESSING.

For me, I like poolside, buffets, seeing the different water features on The Strip, and, if you have a rental car, 7200 ft Mt. Charleston in summer. Breathtaking.

Its population seems to be VERY jaded, and some come across as slippery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They do that for a reason in Jamaica. A friend of mine was murdered there even AFTER he handed over his valuables in a mugging. The majority of the Caribbean is third world and much of it isn't particularly safe. With Hawaii you would take the same precautions as you would at home.
Jamaica is out of the question, not merely overrated. So are other ultra-dicey places in the Caribbean, like Venezuela and Colombia. If they can't get their act together in terms of safety, then they don't deserve tourist revenue.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM

216 posts, read 360,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Eh, I don't know. It is TACKY. If you stay long enough, it can be DEPRESSING.

For me, I like poolside, buffets, seeing the different water features on The Strip, and, if you have a rental car, 7200 ft Mt. Charleston in summer. Breathtaking.

Its population seems to be VERY jaded, and some come across as slippery.
I just think that it's a horrible place to be. The food is good, but there's good food elsewhere. The malls are overpriced, and you could find the same things on Rodeo Drive or 5th Avenue, or any other mall.
The place is in a desert, which boggles my mind about the water features. yeah we've all seen the bellagio fountains and the stupid TI sailor show, but so what? They "say" there's a water management policy in place, but I don't buy it.
And just the feel of the place: So much depression, broken souls, empty faces. So much poverty it's staggering. It's just a big town to separate you from your money. And what do you get for it? Nothing.
Just my .02 but I despise the place. Now if you go outside of town, then we're talking! Love the surrounding area.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
And just the feel of the place: So much depression, broken souls, empty faces. So much poverty it's staggering.
Yes, the negative vibe is very palpable.

Again, the poolside, buffets, and water features are about it. And you're right, it doesn't offset the negativity one feels. I had some reading/work to do, so I found the two 24-hour Starbucks. One was on Paradise Road, south of the big Hilton, and the other one was on Tropicana near Decatur. Try those places at midnight or 1 a.m. for a pulse of the "locals." Not good.

The transient nature of the place and low retention of transplants is a testimony to what a bad place it is to be.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,056,084 times
San Francisco - Just did not live up to the expectations. It has beautiful and unique setting, but at street level it was dirty and the homelessness was eye opening. Regarding the Bay Area, i spent a week in Napa/Sonoma and loved every bit of it.

Las Vegas - I'm not much of a gambler (Sports book mainly) so i knew going in the first time I wouldn't enjoy it as much as most. I lost interest in the hotels, shows, buffets within the second day of my trip. I did go back a second time this year, rented a car, which made things much better since I could check out Red Rocks, Hoover Damn, and easily get to In n Out Burger.

Denver - Flatter and uniteresting than i expected. Lodo was nice, great beer scene but was expecting more. Obviously a good launching point to the mountains.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,353,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Having been to Athens many times, I never thought about it that way, but you're right! Having said that, I still love the place in all it's craziness. I'm an odd duck when it comes to that city, I only know one other person who loves it, most people who visit do not like it at all except for the sites and Plaka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
My husband and I are the other two people who actually enjoyed Athens. Everything we'd read and heard said it's ugly like Beirut and to get in and out in a day or two at most. Despite all the warnings from people with first hand experience we scheduled considerably more time than that and were so glad we did. Granted, though, besides the ruins, it's not an especially attractive looking city.
Having started by saying Athens is overrated, I will say that it has a lively, gritty atmosphere that can be fun. As long as you don't go in there thinking that it's going to be physically beautiful like Rome--it is, after all, a modern city, except for the ancient ruins. I liked a little neighbourhood called Psiri, north of the flea market and Ancient Agora. No tourists, lots of bars/restaurants, funky atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
For those of you who love Portugal, have you ever been to Spain's region of Galicia or anywhere else on Spain's far northern coast? It is a whole different world from the rest of the country.
Yes I have, a little. I was in Bilbao, and environs. I've also been to Northern Portugal, which really is part of Galicia historically (i.e., Celtic.) Very nice. The city of Porto, for instance, is seriously under-rated.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:15 PM

9,251 posts, read 10,902,720 times
[quote=Wwanderer;26290859]Having started by saying Athens is overrated, I will say that it has a lively, gritty atmosphere that can be fun. As long as you don't go in there thinking that it's going to be physically beautiful like Rome--it is, after all, a modern city, except for the ancient ruins. I liked a little neighbourhood called Psiri, north of the flea market and Ancient Agora. No tourists, lots of bars/restaurants, funky atmosphere."

Yep, I know it! I haven't been to Greece in 12 years. I think it may be time to head back, probably avoiding Syntagma Square anytime soon, though.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yep, I know it! I haven't been to Greece in 12 years. I think it may be time to head back, probably avoiding Syntagma Square anytime soon, though.
Why?

Or are you buying into the media's over-inflation of the situation?

We were there the day before, of, and after the second election. The entire city was quiet and peaceful--including Syntagma Square. In fact when we popped out of the subway at 7:15 the morning of the election to see the changing of the guard, the only people in the Square were some bored news media looking in vain for any story they could find. The most excitement was the stray dogs that decided to plop down and sleep where the guards needed to walk to do their routine.

The Square is actually about the size of a city block. The media used creative camera angles to make it look like half of Athens was a war-zone. Ridiculous.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 PM

9,251 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why?

Or are you buying into the media's over-inflation of the situation?

We were there the day before, of, and after the second election. The entire city was quiet and peaceful--including Syntagma Square. In fact when we popped out of the subway at 7:15 the morning of the election to see the changing of the guard, the only people in the Square were some bored news media looking in vain for any story they could find. The most excitement was the stray dogs that decided to plop down and sleep where the guards needed to walk to do their routine.

The Square is actually about the size of a city block. The media used creative camera angles to make it look like half of Athens was a war-zone. Ridiculous.
I've been there when Syntagma erupts, at least 20 years ago. I understand the media and what they've done. In fact, I've been the one, as of late, telling people NOT to avoid Athens or Greece in general based on what they see in the media and hear (oh boy!) on conservative talk shows. I've been to Syntagma many times, but there is a lot of anger right now and I have no desire to be there when a car bomb explodes, no matter how tiny the bomb. They've been doing that for a long time, well before the financial meltdown.

As for what people think is happening, I'm right there with you. Somebody told me, with a straight face, that Greeks were throwing their little children out into the street to starve to death. Right. THey heard it on some conservative radio show. No idea who it was.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Almost every Greek we encountered thanked us profusely for visiting their country and not being scared off by the media. We had a bakery try to give us free food and a cab driver not want to charge us for a ride. It was amazing how gracious they were, despite the hardships that they will face over the next decade until things get back on track economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or