U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 PM

9,265 posts, read 10,928,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've driven across the Everglades on the Tamiami Trail and Alligator Alley and ... "no thanks."
I think the experience of driving across and sampling all the Keys is cool, but Key West itself is a major disappointment in that it lacks a sandy beach. I think Key Largo and Islamorada are better keys.
Key West is not known for beaches, that's for sure. Anyone looking for the typical beautiful Florida beach will surely be disappointed there. I love Key West for the funky vibe. It's overdone sometimes though. The prices are a killer, as with most islands far from the mainland. I do think the drive down from Miami is fantastic and should be done at least once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM
HKB

220 posts, read 709,518 times
Seattle is probably the most overrated city I've been to. Cool, cloudy, damp, horrible traffic, a bad homeless problem, and full of pretentious hipsters.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 PM

607 posts, read 1,170,672 times
Alright, my choice pales in comparison to all of these other places mentioned, but for the Wild West history buffs out there, Dodge City, Kansas is definitely overrated. The town has been destroyed by fire a few times over the course of its history, so most of the original structures from the Wild West era are gone. It's also a cow town, so the smell of manure just lingers throughout the city. This could be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. I could go on and on, but for now, let's just say for all of you Western history buffs out there like myself, there are definitely better places to visit to get that authentic Western era feel than Dodge City. Am I saying to skip it altogether? No, but just don't plan on spending more than a day or even half a day there.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM

607 posts, read 1,170,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKB View Post
Seattle is probably the most overrated city I've been to. Cool, cloudy, damp, horrible traffic, a bad homeless problem, and full of pretentious hipsters.
I've never been there, but there's no way I could live in a place with so much dreary weather like that. It's been raining for 2 days straight here in Ohio and I'm already sick of it, lol. I would definitely love to visit, but I'll pass on living there.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,650,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKB View Post
Wow, and I thought Minnesotans liked SEA, almost reflexively so. Actually, the cool, fresh air hitting you in the face when you walk out the door and it's in the 40s to 50s is refreshing.

The pretentious hipsters have nothing to be pretentious about. They are like gnats. They know it and we know it, right? It's the pretentious everyone else, whether in crappy overpriced Ravenna bungalows or in waterside Bellevue properties, across the lake.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,326,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Havana was described by a friend to me as a place she is glad she saw, but would not go back.
That is pretty much how I came away feeling about it. I was kind of excited as Havana is the largest city in the Caribbean and comparable in size to Toronto. However, it was dirty and overrun with beggars and shysters of all different types. Old Havana and the Tropicana show were certainly worth seeing, but the rest of the city left a lot to be desired.

EDIT: I should also state this was my only trip ever to the Caribbean, and I am not drawing any comparisons to the Dominican Republic, Jamaica or any of the other islands. I can only comment on my experience specific to Cuba.

Last edited by Annuvin; 10-03-2012 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Clarification.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,326,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I'd be interested in seeing it only to see a city that never left the 1950s. People tell me that part is fascinating. My father used to go gambling there before the revolution. I've also heard that some of the Cuban beaches are absolutely beautiful.
Veradero Beach is arguably the most beautiful in the world. Fine white sand for miles and miles.

I have to say that seeing all the old American cars serving as taxis was pretty cool. If we ever go back there, I doubt I would leave Veradero. It felt very safe and was hassle-free (unlike Havana where you felt like you had to constantly look over your shoulder).

Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM

21,367 posts, read 21,936,621 times
would also second Orlando as the most over-rated destination in the US. while Disney may be a nice enough place to see (once), to have to run the gauntlet of sleeze, cement and traffic in the Orlando area itself isn't worth the effort. Many, many other areas in Florida that are better to spend your hard earned money than to leave it in this crap-hole.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:26 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,357,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
...Key West are underrated.
I think rather that Key West is just plain ruined by tourism. It used to be really special.

I also think there is a distinction to be made between overrated and overhyped. Vancouver is in that category I think--it's a very nice place, but overhyped. Many places are in this category. They are what they are, but can't possibly live up to people's expectations.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,650,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I think rather that Key West is just plain ruined by tourism. It used to be really special.
Seriously. What was special about it? There's no usable sandy beach, the architecture is slightly unique, but man 'o' man, there's that Key Lime pie.

I've been twice. I first took the "triangle" air special with a friend shortly after college. That is, an air deal where you go from LA to New York, and then to Miami, before returning to LA.

In a steal of a deal upgraded rental car, we drove from Miami all the way down the keys to Key West, to max out the free miles we could put on this car. We walked around the historic streets, woofed down some Key Lime pie and iced tea, shrugged, and drove back. Key Largo, the very first key, has one of the better beaches at Pennekamp (sp) State Park.

The second time was when I was there in 2006. The time would have been better spent crossing the narrow part of Florida, either to Marco Island or Sanibel/Captiva. My "coin toss" went the wrong way that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or