U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,618,877 times

Advertisements

I was amazed to see someone post here that the Grand Canyon was a bore. I was enchanted by it and wished I had been able to stay longer. I suppose someone that is bored by natural beauty prefers places like Las Vegas. I think that same person would be bored by the National Park in my back yard - Acadia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:59 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,658,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I think that same person would be bored by the National Park in my back yard - Acadia.
Mixed bag here.
I consider you extremely lucky to have someplace so beautiful as Acadia in your back yard.
However, I wonder what it would be like to live among "Maniacs" (term I've heard in BOS) - my visit up there, to Portland and Freeport, was pretty much filled up with locals who were fairly frosty. No Betty Whites from "Lake Placid" anywhere to be found ...

Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM

9,265 posts, read 10,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Seriously. What was special about it? There's no usable sandy beach, the architecture is slightly unique, but man 'o' man, there's that Key Lime pie.

I've been twice. I first took the "triangle" air special with a friend shortly after college. That is, an air deal where you go from LA to New York, and then to Miami, before returning to LA.

In a steal of a deal upgraded rental car, we drove from Miami all the way down the keys to Key West, to max out the free miles we could put on this car. We walked around the historic streets, woofed down some Key Lime pie and iced tea, shrugged, and drove back. Key Largo, the very first key, has one of the better beaches at Pennekamp (sp) State Park.

The second time was when I was there in 2006. The time would have been better spent crossing the narrow part of Florida, either to Marco Island or Sanibel/Captiva. My "coin toss" went the wrong way that day.
I don't think there is much of a comparison between Key West and Marco Island or Captiva. Totally different vibes. Key West to me is more a party vibe, but with West Indian look as far as the architecture and lots of strange characters around. Marco Island feels southern to me. Only been once and that was a long time ago. I loved Captiva. My parents took me when I was around 14 and I really want to get back. I guess it really depends on what you want to do on your vacation.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I don't think there is much of a comparison between Key West and Marco Island or Captiva. Totally different vibes. Key West to me is more a party vibe, but with West Indian look as far as the architecture and lots of strange characters around. Marco Island feels southern to me. Only been once and that was a long time ago. I loved Captiva. My parents took me when I was around 14 and I really want to get back. I guess it really depends on what you want to do on your vacation.
Marco Island is incredibly relaxing. Wow. Worth the 2 hour drive across I-84 (Alligator Alley, IIRC) from Lauderdale.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,658,121 times
Key West is great if you have a friend who is a local. Then you can avoid the tourist stuff and eat, drink, and hang at the best places that only the locals know about. They are not on or near Duval.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:47 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,658,121 times
Quote:
Marco Island is incredibly relaxing. Wow. Worth the 2 hour drive across I-84 (Alligator Alley, IIRC) from Lauderdale.
I 84 runs from VA Beach to St. Louis (roughly).

I-75 is Alligator Alley.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I 84 runs from VA Beach to St. Louis (roughly).

I-75 is Alligator Alley.
Right you are. It's where I-75 sweeps through Ft. Myers on south and then makes a perpendicular turn toward Weston, FL, et. al. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Key West is great if you have a friend who is a local. Then you can avoid the tourist stuff and eat, drink, and hang at the best places that only the locals know about. They are not on or near Duval.
Exactly. I've done the Duval Crawl (I was younger ), but heading out with locals was by far my favorite thing.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Argh! Got my Florida islands mixed up. I was thinking Amelia Island when I said Southern. Marco I remember as being more typically southwest Florida. I can still remember the scent in Amelia, a marshy smell but not offensive. Another place I would like to revisit.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,947,587 times
Quote:
I've driven across the Everglades on the Tamiami Trail and Alligator Alley and ... "no thanks."
I think the experience of driving across and sampling all the Keys is cool, but Key West itself is a major disappointment in that it lacks a sandy beach. I think Key Largo and Islamorada are better keys.
People don't go to Key West for the beach. This is why it is a good idea to do a bit of research before heading down there. But it can be a fun place. We've visited there, but lodged in Marathon and Islamorada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I don't think there is much of a comparison between Key West and Marco Island or Captiva....Argh! Got my Florida islands mixed up. I was thinking Amelia Island when I said Southern. Marco I remember as being more typically southwest Florida. I can still remember the scent in Amelia, a marshy smell but not offensive. Another place I would like to revisit.
Well, you are still correct that there is not much of a comparison. Captiva is wonderful--no cars allowed.
Amelia Island is indeed very southern in atmosphere.
There can be a marshy scent at Amelia, especially at low tide near the greenway along Egan's Creek, but also you might have smelled the paper mills, we have two. It's still a lovely place to live--and visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or