Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,336,898 times

Advertisements

Sun Valley, Idaho. Now I should qualify this by saying I am not a skier and I was actually there in October when there was no snow and was just rather unimpressed with the whole place. Lots of cookie cutter condos and I didn't think all that much of the scenery. There are prettier places in Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,874,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Sun Valley, Idaho. Now I should qualify this by saying I am not a skier and I was actually there in October when there was no snow and was just rather unimpressed with the whole place. Lots of cookie cutter condos and I didn't think all that much of the scenery. There are prettier places in Idaho.
Killington, VT for the same reasons.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,082,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Again, to compare these hotels to the Comfort Inn just shows that you don't know very much about hotels.
Agreed.

The more nonsense she posts, the more I am convinced she is much less a pretentious globetrotter than she is a garden variety forum troll. Either way it is painfully obvious she hasn't the faintest clue what she's talking about.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Agreed.

The more nonsense she posts, the more I am convinced she is much less a pretentious globetrotter than she is a garden variety forum troll. Either way it is painfully obvious she hasn't the faintest clue what she's talking about.
Actually it's the other way around. When people haven't experienced a true five star experience, they think a three star is top notch. The more experience one gets with true luxury properties, the more they realize how low the standards of modest hotels actually are.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,561,212 times
Wow. Just wow. There are a LOT of disappointed people on this thread! I thank my lucky start that my expectations aren't too high, since I've loved every place I've traveled to, and would eagerly go back!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually it's the other way around.
When someone makes ludicrous claims such as all food in Vegas is Golden Corral quality unless you are willing to drop $500-$650, stating the Luxor is no better than a Comfort Inn, but TI and MGM are, and that any "good entertainment" in Vegas is very expensive, it is obvious they are either trolling or retarded.

Quote:
When people haven't experienced a true five star experience, they think a three star is top notch. The more experience one gets with true luxury properties, the more they realize how low the standards of modest hotels actually are.
Just because I don't come off as a pretentious ass does not mean I haven't stayed in a 5 star hotel. Keep deflecting, Princess.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
When someone makes ludicrous claims such as all food in Vegas is Golden Corral quality unless you are willing to drop $500-$650, stating the Luxor is no better than a Comfort Inn, but TI and MGM are, and that any "good entertainment" in Vegas is very expensive, it is obvious they are either trolling or retarded.
I never said that about the food. EVER. I said that to get a great meal in Vegas you need to drop $500+. That is THE TRUTH. I've stayed at the Luxor, it SUCKED. I've actually stayed at Comfort Inns taht were nicer. Good entertainment in Las Vegas IS expensive. Sure, there are a lot of cheap shows, but you get what you pay for.

Quote:
Just because I don't come off as a pretentious ass does not mean I haven't stayed in a 5 star hotel. Keep deflecting, Princess.
Uh huh.

Seems that you are the one deflecting by putting words in my mouth.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Wow. Just wow. There are a LOT of disappointed people on this thread! I thank my lucky start that my expectations aren't too high, since I've loved every place I've traveled to, and would eagerly go back!
The only place I looked forward to and was sorely disappointed was our honeymoon in Cuba. I'm not much of a beach guy, but I was looking forward to tropical drinks, Old Havana and unlimited premier cigars. What I wasn't expecting was to have the travel agent completely screw up our reservations and getting sicker than I had been since childhood even after $160 worth of vaccinations before leaving.

I do have to say that the resort was top-notch and the catamaran/coral reef excursion were great, but Havana was a disappointment. The begging there was the worst I have ever seen and it just took too much away from my experience there. My wife was so disappointed with the whole ordeal that she still won't look at the honeymoon pictures. She was the one that kind of pushed Cuba (she had been before) and was very upset we had such a terrible time. That was the first and last time I'll ever use a travel agent.

No more third-world vacations. For the money we paid, we could have stayed another week in Manhattan following our wedding. You all can have the Caribbean. If I want warm ocean water, I'll go to Florida or Texas.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:57 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,757,894 times
Quote:
Actually it's the other way around. When people haven't experienced a true five star experience, they think a three star is top notch. The more experience one gets with true luxury properties, the more they realize how low the standards of modest hotels actually are.
FYI, I have spent far more than 2000 nights in hotels. I have stayed at the best in NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas. Vancouver, Montreal, Mexico, etc. Yes, I have also stayed in a few Comfort Inns and like properties because they were the best in the location I was staying. I have also eaten at the best restaurants in all these places. My best friend was a VP with Hilton Hotels Nevada operations later called Park Place Entertainment and then Caesar's Entertainment which it is now called except it is owned by Harrah's.

I doubt you even know what 2 companies own 90% of the hotel properties on the strip.

I don't care what you claim to be. All we see is somebody who knows nothing at all about hotels and restaurants and is simply a troll bashing Las Vegas with a bunch of nonsense.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 02-17-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,757,894 times
Quote:
Good entertainment in Las Vegas IS expensive. Sure, there are a lot of cheap shows, but you get what you pay for.
Compared to where? We have been to several shows in Las Vegas as well as NYC, and several other places. To be honest, we prefer to see the same show in NYC than Las Vegas if they have it in both places. For example Jersey Boys is much better in NYC amd is longer because Las Vegas has a limit on the time a show can run.

We have seen at least 30 shows in Las Vegas and an equal number in NYC plus many in California. We get all our show comped in Las Vegas and California so I don't care about the price because you always get the best seats for comped shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel