U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:00 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,638,351 times

Advertisements

I think San Francisco is somewhat overrated. One must throw in Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur and the Sierras to kick it up some.

The city is really small, accommodations are very expensive, a lot of the tourist sites are kitsch, and the ocean is not suited for swimming, unless you've packed a wet suit. I think a lot of tourists are wowed by the vistas but, after seeing them a few times, they're not as powerful. The views which include bridges are obviously the best - from Marin Co viewpoint toward the city and from Treasure Island toward the city.

It's not a city that merits paying through the nose to live there. I actually think Seattle has better vistas because of the snow-capped mountains captured from almost everywhere when the weather cools.

San Francisco reminds me of a cake with baked on gingerbread houses that shouldn't be eaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,082,522 times
I like Frisco but it is costly. On the converse the food is often great. It's the only place I've been where the men are better groomed than many of the women. I agree with you about Seattle though, I find it more engaging, funky in places and beautiful in it's surrounds and I like the city better overall. It suits me. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal in Seattle come to think of it....

I'm going to add Tombstone, AZ to a waaaaay overrated place. Tourist trap with a capital T sadly. You pay through the nose to do anything, looking inside of old buildings that aren't retail establishments, viewing a big old rose bush, getting a glimpse of the O-K corral. Bisbee, AZ is by far a better town to visit for historical flavor without the built in ka-ching. In that regard I prefer the Canadian model of making historical places parks with access for people to see those sites with minimal or no entrance/viewing fee rather than a walled off corral or ancient rosebush behind a ten foot fence.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM

693 posts, read 818,502 times
Paris, France.

I think it's the most overrated major, global city that I've ever been in. I have previously lived there and have made trips both before and after my time living there as well, so I like to think that I can make a somewhat informed personal opinion on the place. Don't get me wrong, I, by no means, hate Paris or anything to that nature. I just think that it's extremely overrated.

So here goes:

I think it's an extremely dirty city (dirtier than Tokyo for sure, NYC, or London imo). The Parisians aren't, on a whole, the friendliest bunch around and I think residents in many other cities tend to be a lot nicer and more helpful. The Parisians really do seem to have a chip on their shoulders about something (many people in the rest of France, who are generally completely lovely btw, will tell you the same thing). As dumb as this sounds, I don't think that the city is nearly as glamorous, stylish, or chic as one might think from the way that it is always talked about and portrayed to be. I don't really believe in stereotypes, but one that I kinda found to be true is that there is dog cr*p all over the place. It's the capital of one of the most important and technologically advanced nations on earth, but still.....everywhere. They can invent a nuclear bomb, but not a pooper scooper lol ). Also, I think the city kind of smells in general in certain areas. Another rather dumb and obvious point is that the food, although always delicious, is mainly just French food. I know that sounds so stupid, but the amount/ variety of different ethnic foods available is seriously lacking in comparison to other major world cities on Paris's level imo (i.e. NYC, Tokyo, London). The gypsies are the worst of any place that I've ever been to (one time, for example, I was actually physically grabbed and pulled by a gypsy trying to get me to buy one of their bracelets; something that I've never experienced anywhere else). The architecture (again so stunning but...), apart from some of the main attractions like the Opera House, Louvre, Hotel de Ville, etc., all looks kind of the same (especially true of most of the apartment buildings). Again, don't get me wrong, the city is stunning, but, like I said, some of the architecture can seem really repetitive at times (although, I suppose this is also true of a lot of other cities as well).

Paris just doesn't seem as international and global as the other cities that it is compared to (NYC, London, Tokyo). To me, Paris feels very French, while the others, while they definitely maintain a myriad of attributes from the countries that they're situated in, feel much more international imho. Obviously though, Paris is a major, global city, and I think everyone knows that, but I don't think as much so as the aforementioned three.

I think everyone should go visit Paris at least once, if they get the chance because it really is an amazing city, just a bit overrated imo lol. I love France but I think the best parts of the country are outside of its capital city.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,356,695 times
I'm not sure I can think of a place that's overrated, really. Guess I have to keep looking!

Seriously, San Francisco is terrific, I was there in the spring and fell in love all over again.

I think I could more easily come up with places that are under-rated. Portugal, for one.

Okay, I think Disney World is over-rated, how's that?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,738,258 times
What about Italy? We are doing a one year tour for work in The Balkans and would like to travel a little.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,096,672 times
I agree that San Fran is overrated. I was disappointed. My husband thought LA was overrated, but I've never been. Most everywhere else I've been I've enjoyed.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,434,779 times
I hate the word "overrated" because it implies that everyone feels the same way about a place. Personally, I love SF/Northern California as a vacation spot. Can't rate it high enough.

I myself have zero interest in a beach resort, cruise, Disney or anywhere "all-inclusive".

Old 09-24-2012, 02:47 PM

600 posts, read 891,224 times
I agree about Disney World. I only went there so much because I lived about 80 miles away. Much preferred Universal Studios.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,638,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
What about Italy? We are doing a one year tour for work in The Balkans and would like to travel a little.
Italy can be overrated. One of the worst "baptisms" a person can encounter is to take the airport train from Rome Fiumicino Airport into the main station, passing up the decrepit housing projects and the graffiti. One will wonder "and this is the Eternal City?" Many of Italy's more charming spots are in pictorial places in the mountains or near the sea. As far as cities go, Venice stands "heads and tails" above the rest as a tourist destination, though it is very congested, with tourists, and is expensive.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-24-2012 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,926 times
First time I visited LA I thought it was over-rated, but then I lived there for 8 years and changed my mind. How about Tijuana, I thought it would be bad when I went there, but it was worse than I expected. I try not to pre-judge a place, so normally I am not disappointed. maybe I'm not overly helpful here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or