U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,360,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Places with above 1M foreign born residents

NYC 5,911,993
LA 5,530,944
SF Bay Area 2,218,512
Miami 2,167,215
Chicago 1,677,303
DC 1,489,700
Houston 1,338,570
Dallas 1,145,585
Boston 1,089,950
Atlanta 752,426 (not 1M but the next closest place)

Top 10 immigration hubs in 2011

NYC 183,681
LA 86,161
Miami 71,775
SF Bay Area 50,987
DC 47,594
Chicago 35,039
Houston 31,136
Dallas 28,090
Boston 25,909
Atlanta 22,035

You folks seeing the resemblance between the top 10 international gateways (NYC, LA, Chicago, SF Bay Area, DC, Miami, Houston, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta), top 10 foreign born populations (NYC, LA, Chicago, SF Bay Area, DC, Miami, Houston, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta), top 10 most diverse cities (NYC, LA, Chicago, SF Bay Area, DC, Miami, Houston, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta), and top 10 immigration hubs (NYC, LA, Chicago, SF Bay Area, DC, Miami, Houston, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta)?

It's the same 10 cities baby! Seattle is 11th in almost all of them and on the heels of joining the international club!! I still consider both Phoenix and Denver up and coming markets in their infancy, those markets are ripe for more IMO.
Houston, Dallas, Boston, and Atlanta are far behind the big 5 when it comes to foreign flag carrier service though. I have always felt that if an international metro can support it's hub carrier's international service plus support the same service with a non-alliance carrier than that speaks volume. Example: at SFO, United (Star Alliance) offers non-stop service to Paris. So does Air France (Skyteam). United offers nonstop service to London, but so does British (One World) and Virgin Atlantic. United flys to Hong Kong, but so does Cathay Pacific (One World).

In Dallas, Atlanta and to a lesser extent Houston, it is difficult for a foreign carrier that has no alliance with the home airports hub airline to be profitable. That is why for the most part you will see Skyteam Alliance foreign metal at ATL. Same thing at Dallas, for the most part it's One World foreign carriers at DFW. Lufthansa is the exception since they fly EVERYWHERE it seems in the US.

NY,Chicago,LA,DC, and SF are cities that have airlines from different alliances vying for pax the same routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 12:45 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
NY,Chicago,LA,DC, and SF are cities that have airlines from different alliances vying for pax the same routes. rotes
Fastphilly! I thought you knew me better than this.

I'm always a big supporter of the "big 5" NYC, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, and DC but I was just completing the 10 with the other 5 Boston, Houston, Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta with Seattle on the heels IMO.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Fastphilly! I thought you knew me better than this.

I'm always a big supporter of the "big 5" NYC, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, and DC but I was just completing the 10 with the other 5 Boston, Houston, Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta with Seattle on the heels IMO.
Were on the same page

Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
Quote:
Houston, Dallas, Boston, and Atlanta are far behind the big 5 when it comes to foreign flag carrier service though. I have always felt that if an international metro can support it's hub carrier's international service plus support the same service with a non-alliance carrier than that speaks volume. Example: at SFO, United (Star Alliance) offers non-stop service to Paris. So does Air France (Skyteam). United offers nonstop service to London, but so does British (One World) and Virgin Atlantic. United flys to Hong Kong, but so does Cathay Pacific (One World).

In Dallas, Atlanta and to a lesser extent Houston, it is difficult for a foreign carrier that has no alliance with the home airports hub airline to be profitable. That is why for the most part you will see Skyteam Alliance foreign metal at ATL. Same thing at Dallas, for the most part it's One World foreign carriers at DFW. Lufthansa is the exception since they fly EVERYWHERE it seems in the US.

NY,Chicago,LA,DC, and SF are cities that have airlines from different alliances vying for pax the same routes.

Don't forget, CDG is a massive hub for all of Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia. So Air France is feeding people through CDG on their way to SFO. Air France is a huge airline and SFO is a large market, so not service it would present a hole in the AF network.

Boston is not far behind for foreign flag carrier service. It's a top 5 or 6 market to Europe and has a great variety of foreign flag carriers. Most of its international service is done on foreign metal. On passenger numbers, sure, Boston is well behind ORD, JFK, LAX and MIA. But it has great variety given its size when compared to Houston and Atlanta.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 AM

574 posts, read 1,179,710 times
Quote:
To all my fellow airport, airplane, air route aficionados out there. This threads for you!

NYC 63 foreign flag carriers (LGA, EWR, and JFK)- Aer Lingus, Aeroflot, Aeroméxico, Aerosvit Airlines, Air Berlin, Air Canada, Air China, Air Europa, Air France, Air India, Alitalia, All Nippon Airways, Arik Air, Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Avianca, British Airways, Brussels Airlines, Caribbean Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Cayman Airways, China Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, Copa Airlines, EgyptAir, El Al, Emirates, Etihad Airways, EVA Air, Finnair, Iberia, Icelandair, Interjet, Japan Airlines, KLM, Korean Air, Kuwait Airways, LAN Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Meridiana Fly, Pakistan International Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Royal Jordanian, Saudia, Singapore Airlines, Sky King, Inc., South African Airways, Swiss International Air Lines, TACA Airlines, TAM Airlines, Transaero Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Uzbekistan Airways, Virgin International Airways, XL Airways France, OpenSkies, Porter Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines, TAP Portugal, and WestJet.

LA 40 foreign flag carriers (LAX, ONT, BUR, SNA, LGB)- Aeroflot, Aeroméxico, Air Berlin, Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Air New Zealand, Air Pacific, Air Tahiti Nui, Alitalia, All Nippon Airways, Arkefly, Asiana Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, Copa Airlines, El Al, Emirates, EVA Air, Iberia, Japan Airlines, KLM, Korean Air, LAN Airlines, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Swiss International Air Lines, TACA Airlines, Thai Airways International, Transaero, Turkish Airlines, Virgin International Airways, Volaris, WestJet, and Interjet.

Miami 38 foreign flag carriers (MIA and FLL)- Aeroflot, Aerolíneas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Air Berlin, Air Canada, Alitalia, Arkefly, Avianca, Avior Airlines, Bahamasair, British Airways, Caribbean Airlines, Cayman Airways, Copa Airlines, Corsair International, Dutch Antilles Express, Exec Air, IBC Airways, Iberia, Insel Air, Interjet, LAN Airlines, Lufthansa, SBA Airlines, Surinam Airways, Swiss International Air Lines, TACA Airlines, TAM Airlines, Transaero Airlines, Travel Service Airlines, TAP Airlines, Virgin International Airways, WestJet, Air Sunshine, Air Transat, CanJet, Condor, and Sunwing Airlines.

SF Bay Area 30 foreign flag carriers (SFO, OAK, SJC)- Aeroméxico, Air Berlin, Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways, Asiana Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, Emirates, EVA Air, Japan Airlines, KLM, Korean Air, LAN Airlines, Lufthansa, Philippine Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Swiss International Air Lines, TACA Airlines, Virgin International Airways, WestJet, XL Airways France, Arkefly, SATA International, and Volaris.

Chicago 28 foreign flag carriers (ORD, MDW, GYY)- Aer Lingus, Aeroméxico, Air Canada, Air France, Air India, Alitalia, All Nippon Airways, Asiana Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Cayman Airways, Copa Airlines, Etihad Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, KLM, Korean Air, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, Scandinavian Airlines, Swiss International Air Lines, TACA Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Virgin International Airways, WestJet, and Volaris.

DC 27 foreign flag carriers (IAD, BWI, DCA)- Aer Lingus, Aeroflot, Aeroméxico, Air Canada, Air France, All Nippon Airways, Avianca, British Airways, Cayman Airways, Copa Airlines, Emirates, Ethiopian Airlines, Etihad Airways, Icelandair, KLM, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Porter Airlines, Qatar Airways, Saudia, Scandinavian Airlines, South African Airways, TACA Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Virgin International Airways, Bahamasair, and Condor Flugdienst.

Boston 15 foreign flag carriers (BOS and PVD)- Aer Lingus, Air Canada, Air France, Alitalia, British Airways, Iberia, Icelandair, Japan Airlines, Lufthansa, PenAir, Porter Airlines, SATA International, Swiss International Air Lines, TACV, and Virgin International Airways.

Houston 13 foreign flag carriers (IAH and HOU)- Aeroméxico, Air Canada, Air France, British Airways, Emirates, KLM, Lufthansa, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, SonAir, TACA Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and VivaAero.

Seattle 11 foreign flag carriers (SEA)- Air Canada, All Nippon Airways, Asiana Airlines, British Airways, Condor, Emirates, EVA Air, Hainan Airlines, Icelandair, Korean Air, and Lufthansa.

Dallas 10 foreign flag carriers (DFW and DAL)- Aeroméxico, Air Canada, British Airways, Cayman Airways, Emirates, KLM, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Qantas, and TACA Airlines.

Atlanta 7 foreign flag carriers (ATL)- Aeroméxico, Air Canada, Air France, British Airways, KLM, Korean Air, and Lufthansa.

Denver 6 foreign flag carriers (DEN)- Aeroméxico, Air Canada, British Airways, Icelandair, Lufthansa, and Volaris.

San Diego 5 foreign flag carriers (SAN)- Air Canada, British Airways, Japan Airlines, Volaris, and WestJet.

Detroit 4 foreign flag carriers (DTW)- Air Canada, Air France, Lufthansa, and Royal Jordanian.

Philadelphia 3 foreign flag carriers (PHL)- Air Canada, British Airways, and Lufthansa.

Minneapolis 2 foreign flag carriers (MSP)- Air Canada and Icelandair.

Secondary airports like PVD, LaGuardia, Dallas Love Field, Hobby, Reagan National, Mineta San Jose, BWI added no flag carriers or continents serviced at all but still listed them.

Continents services by all flag carriers (national and international)
NYC 5- North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa
LA 5- North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia
SF Bay Area 5- North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia
DC 5- North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa
Houston 5- North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa
Dallas 5- North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia
Atlanta 5- North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa
Chicago 4- North America, South America, Europe, Asia
Boston 4- North America, Europe, Asia, Africa
Miami 3- North America, South America, Europe
Detroit 3- North America, Europe, Asia
Seattle 3- North America, Europe, Asia
Denver 3- North America, Europe, Asia
San Diego 3- North America, Europe, Asia
Minneapolis 2- North America, Europe
Philadelphia 2- North America, Europe

Any confirmed plans for additional foreign flag carriers in any of these markets or any new international services? Please reply with only confirmed information, thanks.

Qatar airways, Air Europa, Avianca, Etihad airlines, Swiss Air, Ethiopian Airlines, scandanavian airlines, surinam airways, TAP Portugal, TAM airlines, and south african airways these are some that i found that are carriers to LAX and were not listed so for now i have found 11 which total up to 51.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
Qatar airways, Air Europa, Avianca, Etihad airlines, Swiss Air, Ethiopian Airlines, scandanavian airlines, surinam airways, TAP Portugal, TAM airlines, and south african airways these are some that i found that are carriers to LAX and were not listed so for now i have found 11 which total up to 51.
I don't know where you are getting your info from but it's wrong info. None of these airlines you mentioned (except Swiss) flys to LAX.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,192,209 times
Quote:
None of the ones you listed except Swiss fly to LAX.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,186,086 times
Quote:
You can go ahead and add MIA to that list of "big 5".
VS going against BA/AA in LHR
AA and AF to Paris
Air Berlin and Lufthansas to Dusseldorf
Aerofolt and Transaero to Moscow
Almost every Latin American destination has more than one airline.
AA against Taca andTam
AA against Air France and others to Port Au Prince and Santo Domingo
AA against Aeromexico
AA against Insel Air
AA against Avianca
AA against Santa Barabra Airlines
Other airlines AA competes against on the same routes: Aerolineas Argentinas, Air Canada, Bahamasair, Caribbean Airlines, Cayman Airways, COPA, Insel Air, Interjet, Surinam Airways, WestJet
Also AA does not have a joint venture with LAN so passenger that take LAN though they can connect with AA on O/D passenger they compete.

Not saying you said it but many just see MIA as the big international hub because its the hub to Latin America but the amount of O/D is huge. And Miami is part of the "Big 3" when it comes to international passengers and airlines. LAX, JFK and MIA are in a league of there own. Then comes the rest.

Quote:
Those airlines besides for Swiss do not fly to LAX: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_International_Airport

Last edited by FlyMIA; 09-30-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM

574 posts, read 1,179,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
None of the ones you listed except Swiss fly to LAX.
i went to their website and where it said book a flight, i typed Los A, and imediately a drop down box that said LAX Los angeles International Airport appeared, so im guessing they fly to LAX.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,192,209 times
Quote:
i went to their website and where it said book a flight, i typed Los A, and imediately a drop down box that said LAX Los angeles International Airport appeared, so im guessing they fly to LAX.

You must be new to the topic of airlines.

What you are finding is called a code share flight. Take South African Airways for example. They do not fly to Los Angeles, but you can book flights on their website. They way it works is that South African code shares with United. So they sell you a flight from Los Angeles to Washington DC or New York on United to connect with South African in DC or NYC. DC and NYC are the only two places SAA flies in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or