U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,222,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post

I will redo the list with all the major North American cities in just a moment.
Just for good measure, here's the link:

WestJet announces new U.S. destinations - Feb 11, 2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,385,759 times
I have a subscription to newsletters from Virginia America (based in my former county San Mateo) and by the end of this year they are confident that they will have expanded into the Atlanta and Houston markets.

The Atlanta market is interesting, anytime an airline plans to expand there its always met with hostility from Delta.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Not to nit pick, but you're missing Panama City and Shannon (given it's seasonal) from Boston.
Sorry about that, brings Boston's total to 29 up from 27.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Sorry about that, brings Boston's total to 29 up from 27.
Not to nitpick, in two months DFW will have Lima and by the end of 2013, we will have Bogota!

American Airlines to fly to Seoul and Lima from Dallas/Fort Worth | Airline Biz Blog

Routes News - AA announces new Dallas

Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Toronto is impressive, even though it milks the advantage of being directly north of a country with 315M people with over 52 metros above 1M in population (much more than Canada's), the total number of international destinations is still very impressive.

Toronto and NYC are the only two cities in the western hemisphere that service all 6 inhabited continents too. My guess is in the next 5-10 years they will be accompanied by Dallas, Houston, and LA for that distinction. I cannot see Dallas not having a route to Africa for long because it's market greatly demands a connection to either Johannesburg, Cairo, or Lagos. I also think Houston had a route plan for Auckland which was cancelled when United was cutting down its flights, the market will eventually demand it again. LA is a massive gateway airport and it looks like it will surpass ORD in total traffic in the next 5-10 years (Dallas will also), the market to Africa could open its doors to LAX when more demand comes its way.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Not to nitpick, in two months DFW will have Lima and by the end of 2013, we will have Bogota!

American Airlines to fly to Seoul and Lima from Dallas/Fort Worth | Airline Biz Blog

Routes News - AA announces new Dallas
That's impressive, Dallas jumps to 53, which is a very high number for any North American gateway.

Only two things make me jealous in these city vs city debates, cities with more international destinations/flag carriers and education capitals/collection of top rated schools.

DFW intl airport will likely surpass ORD and ATL in the long haul 10-15 years from now. I'm confident when I say DEN and DFW are the US' two next mega airports. DEN much later down in time IMO.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Toronto is impressive, even though it milks the advantage of being directly north of a country with 315M people with over 52 metros above 1M in population (much more than Canada's), the total number of international destinations is still very impressive.

Toronto and NYC are the only two cities in the western hemisphere that service all 6 inhabited continents too. My guess is in the next 5-10 years they will be accompanied by Dallas, Houston, and LA for that distinction. I cannot see Dallas not having a route to Africa for long because it's market greatly demands a connection to either Johannesburg, Cairo, or Lagos. I also think Houston had a route plan for Auckland which was cancelled when United was cutting down its flights, the market will eventually demand it again. LA is a massive gateway airport and it looks like it will surpass ORD in total traffic in the next 5-10 years (Dallas will also), the market to Africa could open its doors to LAX when more demand comes its way.
Dallas-Africa is about 200 passengers a day per direction, Houston-Africa is about 220 per direction per day.

The big difference, however, is that Houston-Africa has a big business component which makes it more First/Business class oriented. Dallas-Africa is mostly VFR (visiting friends and relatives). The former is much more profitable.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 PM

32,390 posts, read 55,223,333 times
Quote:
Only two things make me jealous in these city vs city debates, cities with more international destinations/flag carriers and education capitals/collection of top rated schools.
For me, the ultimate stat for anything airline/airport related is O&D passenger counts(domestic, international and total) for metro area airports.

That shows where people are actually flying to and from.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,114,239 times
You can add one destination from LAX -- Nadi, Fiji. (you have Air Pacific, which serves the route, just not the destination.)

Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM

3,664 posts, read 5,553,490 times
How much does an airline actually profit off of a ticket sale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or