U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:38 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,765,279 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I have not had a vacation in years, and we're desperately needing one. We have a three year old we will be taking with us. We have about a week. Here are the criteria:

Relaxing. That means, a place where it is actually possible to just hang out without having to drive anywhere or do anything or work really hard if we don't feel like it. We want it to be an easy vacation. Foreign countries are out for that reason - they're just kind of a lot of work, and we're too tired for that. Likewise anything rustic or adventur-y, like camping or hiking are also out.

Simple stuff to do close by - as in, we don't have to drive - doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just walking along a busy street, visiting places kids like, going to see some animals, an aquarium, wild horses, etc. We like to go and see things, but not work to hard for it, and we'd like there to be things that our child will enjoy (i.e. not historic sites or shopping, which would bore him).

Accommodations must be nice. Somewhat luxurious. We don't want anything rustic or economy type lodges, cabins, etc.

We are going in January. Should not be cold in January (doesn't have to be tropical, though).

Would be ideal if it were driving distance from Dallas/Fort Worth. But not completely necessary.

No waterparks or amusement parks - we want stuff for us too, plus that's not relaxing.

Budget - we are thinking about 1500-2K, not including airfare.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,840,013 times
Have you considered an all inclusive resort? I have really enjoyed going to Sandls resorts .....if you really want a relaxing, no plans needed vacation...they really do it well. I am not sure where you are located , but a cruise might be something you could consider. Again, it is a relaxing no stress vacation.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
You want a weeks worth of luxurious accommodations with a daily budget of under $300--and you need to cover food and incidentals out of that as well? Not impossible, but you're asking for an awful lot unless your idea of luxury is different from the standard.

Best thing I can think of is maybe a cruise. Disney has a six night western Caribbean out of Galveston for around $2000 for the three of you. You'd have to add in tips, optional shore excursions, and incidentals, but your meals would be included and you could drive to the port which would save air fare.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
warmest place that you could drive to in the US would be Key West which would take 25 hours. You could easily find a top-shelf room for $300/night and much less for a very nice room. You could park your car the first day and not need it again until you left.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM

Actually Key West is pretty expensive if you want even a three star place in January. You'd eat up 75% of your budget on hotels, and it's not an inexpensive place to eat, either. A four star hotel would be over $300 a night, most three star places start in the $250 range.

And a 25 hour drive with a three year old? Kill me now.

Last edited by annerk; 09-27-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-27-2012, 11:46 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And a 25 hour drive with a three year old? Kill me now.
some of us would feel the same way about a boat full of 3,000 pushy blue-hairs.

TA has their #1 rated, Key West Hotel (3 1/2 star) listed for $214/night for January.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
some of us would feel the same way about a boat full of 3,000 pushy blue-hairs.

TA has their #1 rated, Key West Hotel (3 1/2 star) listed for $214/night for January.
Who suggested a boat full of 3000 blue hairs?

Not sure where you are seeing the TA #1 rated Key West hotel in that price range, the average rate is well over $300.

Orchid Key Inn - Hotel details

Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You want a weeks worth of luxurious accommodations with a daily budget of under $300--and you need to cover food and incidentals out of that as well? Not impossible, but you're asking for an awful lot unless your idea of luxury is different from the standard.

Best thing I can think of is maybe a cruise. Disney has a six night western Caribbean out of Galveston for around $2000 for the three of you. You'd have to add in tips, optional shore excursions, and incidentals, but your meals would be included and you could drive to the port which would save air fare.
No, that was just for accommodations - lodging, nothing else. I was actually thinking about that Disney cruise.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Have you considered an all inclusive resort? I have really enjoyed going to Sandls resorts .....if you really want a relaxing, no plans needed vacation...they really do it well. I am not sure where you are located , but a cruise might be something you could consider. Again, it is a relaxing no stress vacation.
I thought Sandals didn't allow children. I can't actually tell from their website if they do or not.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 PM

13,160 posts, read 20,772,581 times
I don't think Key West has much to interest young children. Here is a resort in FL we first went to when our oldest was 3:

Captiva Island Resorts - South Seas Island Resort & Yacht Harbor - Captiva Resort Vacations

ETA: there were lots of activities for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel