U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times

Advertisements

I got a free one for opening a bank account, and it has way too many little zippered compartments. I would keep forgetting which compartment something was in, and would have to keep unzipping until I found it. Two or three compartment is enough, and for small objects, buy a couple of those 10c plastic snap-top pencil boxes at WalMart's back to school sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 AM

9,073 posts, read 9,502,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I got a free one for opening a bank account, and it has way too many little zippered compartments. I would keep forgetting which compartment something was in, and would have to keep unzipping until I found it. Two or three compartment is enough, and for small objects, buy a couple of those 10c plastic snap-top pencil boxes at WalMart's back to school sale.
The one I had been using was a freebie from a bank It a great size and works, but the wheels only spin when the case is in a certain position and it falls over when I let go of it. I'm spending more time in airports so I was wanting something easier to manuever

Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Another question. I'm checking the dimensions of bags to be sure they can be used as carry ons, of course, and I am not sure how to take this:

(from United Airlines page)

"The maximum combined linear measurement (length + width + height) of carry-on bags must not exceed 14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm) or 45 linear inches (114 cm)."

So, if a bag is 20.5 x 14.5 x 8, it won't work because one dimension is half an inch too big even though the combined is 43 inches (under the maximum 45 inch requirement)?
I fly multiple times a month. The only numbers that really matter are the width (14.5) and the depth(8) as they are the maximun dimensions to fit in the overhead compartment. If its a national flight, just do what I do. Gate check it. You'll get it back within seconds of getting off the plane. If its an international then gate check will not be an option. For that I own a wheeled gym bag that is soft on all sides and easily crushable to fit in the overhead compartments. FYI - Storage under the seats make it real uncomfortable trying to move your feet around.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I fly multiple times a month. The only numbers that really matter are the width (14.5) and the depth(8) as they are the maximun dimensions to fit in the overhead compartment. If its a national flight, just do what I do. Gate check it. You'll get it back within seconds of getting off the plane. If its an international then gate check will not be an option. For that I own a wheeled gym bag that is soft on all sides and easily crushable to fit in the overhead compartments. FYI - Storage under the seats make it real uncomfortable trying to move your feet around.
Last time I gate checked, my bag got an earlier connecting flight than I did. When I arrived at my destination, the office for my airline was CLOSED and I was not able to get my bag. I had to wait nearly an hour for the person to get back and release my bag to me. I asked staff at the airport and they said they couldn't access that office for some reason. (It was Frontier Airlines at McCarran)

Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Last time I gate checked, my bag got an earlier connecting flight than I did. When I arrived at my destination, the office for my airline was CLOSED and I was not able to get my bag. I had to wait nearly an hour for the person to get back and release my bag to me. I asked staff at the airport and they said they couldn't access that office for some reason. (It was Frontier Airlines at McCarran)
I think your version and my version of "Gate Check" is different. I'm talking about the counter in front of the door that leads to the ramp to the plane.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I think your version and my version of "Gate Check" is different. I'm talking about the counter in front of the door that leads to the ramp to the plane.
No, we are talking about the same thing. That's what I am talking about. As I was boarding they asked if I would gate check my carryon bag. They asked for my final destination and I told them Las Vegas...but they put my bag on a different connecting flight and it arrived before I did. The airline at the end locked my bag in the office at LAS until I got there. The office was locked when I arrived and had to wait for someone to come back and allow me to get my bag.

I've not gate checked since for fear of the same thing happening.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
The Frontier agent did not 'gate' check your bag. S/He check you bag in as 'normal' checked bag. (Gate staff can do that, also).

When your bag got to the connection point, The baggage guys take the bag to the baggage tranfer area, and put it on the cart for LAS. They don't normaly look at the flight number, Just the city its going to. It goes on the next flight to that city.

The key here was when they asked your Final destination, They would not ask that for a gate check, Some airlines 'tag' the bag with a "GATE CHECK" tag so the baggage guys know to bring it back to the jet way when they unload the local bags.

Last edited by flyonpa; 10-01-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Frontier agent did not 'gate' check your bag. S/He check you bag in as 'normal' checked bag. (Gate staff can do that, also).

When your bag got to the connection point, The baggage guys take the bag to the baggage tranfer area, and put it on the cart for LAS. They don't normaly look at the flight number, Just the city its going to. It goes on the next flight to that city.
Oh, well, they were very specifically calling it "gate check." And I was mad at myself for doing it in the first place as I packed a carryon to avoid waiting for the bag at the end!

I really hate to travel, so that's the point of shopping for a new suitcase in the first place...to make it easier LOL

Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM

8,582 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Word of advice if space is an issue. Go for a carry on that has no wheels. Providing you don't have a penchant for overpacking, and don't mind carrying, the wheels/handle on most rollaboards take up up to 30% of the space in the bag.

My personal bag is a Red Oxx AirBoss. I can carry a week's worth of clothes and shoes in it, and still not have anyone give me a second look carrying it on.

I second the Ross/Marshall's options for bags. They have some great deals. Cheaper than you can get anywhere else, providing you hit them on the right day when they have stock.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
... Some airlines 'tag' the bag with a "GATE CHECK" tag so the baggage guys know to bring it back to the jet way when they unload the local bags.
Most do. In nearly thirty years of flying I've never not gotten my bag back at the next leg of my trip. I just gate check it each stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel