U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:08 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times

Advertisements

I actually see this changing more & more - especially with people not wanting to check bags & pay fees

In the past when I gate checked something I would hand it to them right before getting on the plane, they would tag it and it would be there when I walked off the plane - would be with the strollers, etc

Now they tag it and put it with the rest of the luggage and it's not lonely in this process ......... I'd say there is at least a dozen bags that are set off to the side and the gate workers just transport them all down & in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,419,702 times
Thanx, Elle, you just made me buy a new carry on bag

Bought a TravelPro 20" Crew 8 on clearance for $112 shipped. Decided I wanted a small one that definitely fits in about every overhead (except CRJ).

Travelpro

Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM

9,068 posts, read 9,500,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post

Bought a TravelPro 20" Crew 8 on clearance for $112 shipped. Decided I wanted a small one that definitely fits in about every overhead (except CRJ).

Travelpro

I like it! Where's my commission? LOL

This is the one I ended up buying. I chose it for the spinner wheels...and because it is pretty!

Ricardo Beverly Hills Luggage Savannah 20 Inch 2-Compartment Spinner Carry-On,Ruby Leopard,Medium: Amazon.com: Clothing

Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I fly multiple times a month. The only numbers that really matter are the width (14.5) and the depth(8) as they are the maximun dimensions to fit in the overhead compartment. If its a national flight, just do what I do. Gate check it. You'll get it back within seconds of getting off the plane. If its an international then gate check will not be an option. For that I own a wheeled gym bag that is soft on all sides and easily crushable to fit in the overhead compartments. FYI - Storage under the seats make it real uncomfortable trying to move your feet around.
It think it's incredibly rude to carry on a 22" bag that won't fit wheels in. Wheels in (or out) will allow three bags to fit where only two will otherwise. I'd suggest buying a 20" bag (wheels to handle, not just the inner dimensions of the bag) as they will fit "wheels in" on every plane other than some of the puddle jumping regionals.

By the way, if you are making a connection, your bag will be checked through, even on a domestic flight. The only exception is on a puddle jumper where you can't fit more than a small handbag into the overhead and all bags are left on the tarmac and returned on the tarmac.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post

Travelpro
My husband has that bag. I don't think it's quite as well constructed as my TUMI, but it's been fine so far, and for 1/4 the cost of the TUMI, it was a great value.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It think it's incredibly rude ...By the way, if you are making a connection, your bag will be checked through, even on a domestic flight. The only exception is on a puddle jumper where you can't fit more than a small handbag into the overhead and all bags are left on the tarmac and returned on the tarmac.
Per your first statement, i was speaking of external dimensions. As to your second statement I fly mostly with Delta and I gate check it at each leg and get it back at the end of each leg no matter the size of the plane.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Per your first statement, i was speaking of external dimensions. As to your second statement I fly mostly with Delta and I gate check it at each leg and get it back at the end of each leg no matter the size of the plane.
The height matters--a 22" bag (Wheels to handle) will not fit into most overheads wheels first, a 20" bag will. Delta must operate differently than every other airline, because except on puddle jumpers, if you gate check a bag, it's going to baggage claim at your final destination on other carriers.

If you fly as often as you claim, you're seated in first class on every flight with multiple classes of service, so you're first off the plane. This means your bag isn't there within seconds, instead you're standing there clogging up the jetway waiting for bags to be brought up, which can take five minutes or more.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The height matters--a 22" bag (Wheels to handle) will not fit into most overheads wheels first, a 20" bag will. Delta must operate differently than every other airline, because except on puddle jumpers, if you gate check a bag, it's going to baggage claim at your final destination on other carriers.

If you fly as often as you claim, you're seated in first class on every flight with multiple classes of service, so you're first off the plane. This means your bag isn't there within seconds, instead you're standing there clogging up the jetway waiting for bags to be brought up, which can take five minutes or more.
You wish people had the courtesy to put their carryons wheels in first. Next time you're on a flight take a look in the overheads as most people stick them in sideways and its the attendants that try to move them to wheels in first when the last third of people enter the plane and all the overheads are full. When I have no Delta connection and I have to use JetBlue I sit in the very last row (as a frequent flier, even with them I can be one of the first to board) and get to watch people boarding. Frequent fliers will jam the carry on in the first available overhead and continue onward to where their seats are. Men will usually have one bag and maybe a laptop. Woman will have the carryon and usually a purse. The problem here is that a majority (51%+ according to my view) of woman carry on a purse the size of a gym bag and possibly even a laptop. So they drop off the carryon in one overhead, continue onto their seats and then take another overhead for their other stuff (on flights out of JFK/LGA I've seen them add shopping bags to this list).

Where and how I'm seated on Delta makes no difference to this thread. But I have NEVER had a gate check on multiple airlines over a 30ish year period of adult flying NOT be waiting for me as I exited the plane or had to wait a few minutes to get it back even on multiple leg flights.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
You wish people had the courtesy to put their carryons wheels in first.
Most people with 20" bags DO put them in wheels first.

Quote:
Next time you're on a flight take a look in the overheads as most people stick them in sideways and its the attendants that try to move them to wheels in first when the last third of people enter the plane and all the overheads are full.
I do watch this process--I fly as much as you. (Highest tier on my carrier) People with 20" bags put them in wheels first because they can do so and have them fit.

Quote:
When I have no Delta connection and I have to use JetBlue I sit in the very last row (as a frequent flier, even with them I can be one of the first to board) and get to watch people boarding. Frequent fliers will jam the carry on in the first available overhead and continue onward to where their seats are. Men will usually have one bag and maybe a laptop. Woman will have the carryon and usually a purse. The problem here is that a majority (51%+ according to my view) of woman carry on a purse the size of a gym bag and possibly even a laptop. So they drop off the carryon in one overhead, continue onto their seats and then take another overhead for their other stuff (on flights out of JFK/LGA I've seen them add shopping bags to this list).
Fly a different airline then. My carrier of choice has become eagle eyed for excess bags and they can and so stop people trying to take too much on--which in my experience is usually male frequent flyers who think they are above it all. By the way, I never see a woman put her handbag in an overhead unless she is in a bulkhead. EVER. It goes against our grain to not have the bag within reach at all times. We put them under the seat in front of us. Most of us don't like bulkheads because we can't keep our bag with us. By the way, mine would fit into a shoebox.

My carrier also stations a FA near the front of coach to prevent people from dumping bags in the first available bin. And as soon as they've boarded first, they close the bins, even if they aren't full so a late boarding passenger with the NEED for overhead space to accomodate a medical device or such will ahve space.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Most people with 20" bags DO put them in wheels first.
I do watch this process--I fly as much as you. (Highest tier on my carrier) People with 20" bags put them in wheels first because they can do so and have them fit.

Most does not mean all. But the airport (Orlando?) you fly out of carries a different clientele then lets say Miami. When I've flown in/out of Orlando for my yearly conferences the passengers are business-like and are courtious. But in Miami or Ft Lauderdale the passengers are very different.

I never see a woman put her handbag in an overhead unless she is in a bulkhead. EVER. It goes against our grain to not have the bag within reach at all times. We put them under the seat in front of us. Most of us don't like bulkheads because we can't keep our bag with us. By the way, mine would fit into a shoebox.
I'm not talking about a bag that can fit into a shoebox. I'm talking about a bag that can hold a few shoeboxes.

My carrier ....

Mine is Delta because is goes to nearly everywhere I need to go internationally. Majority of my flights are international and on those flights none of this crap happens. But on national flights it seems to be worse connecting in certain hubs (Newark, Atlanta) and certain destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel