U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 AM

9,080 posts, read 9,517,396 times

Advertisements

So I have decided to buy myself a fun, new carryon bag. I thought it would be easy, but NO...there are so many to choose from.

Like this: http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Ed....4/pro duct.html SO CUTE!

Anyway, I am looking at the hard sided ones and the soft sided ones. Anyone have any input as to the pros and cons of each?

The hard sided ones are durable, of course, and have lots of room inside since they are "rounded out" if that makes sense. BUT, a soft sided one

Like this:
http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Ro....1/product .html

Has pockets on the outside.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 10:33 AM

15,786 posts, read 9,535,869 times
I prefer soft sided - just seems more flexible and, in a weird way, more durable. Not that it would last longer, necessarily, but I think it could stand up to crushing or hard impacts better than a hard sided. Of course, it stands up less well against cutting.

I also prefer soft sided because it's lighter than hard sided. I've also finally transitioned to wheelies. I almost always carry my bag on board instead of checking it through (or might check plane side). So that could make a difference for some people. BTW, if you want to carry on, if they start saying bigger bags need to be tagged for plane side - they always seem to tag the hard sides regardless of size.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:36 AM

9,130 posts, read 17,156,839 times
For carryon i like soft sided, Some time you may need to squish down a little to get in overhead, Also softsides tend to be a little weight (and are more stuffable then hardsided), you can fit the last item in and the softside will give to allow it).

Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,427,457 times
Check out your local TJ Maxx, Ross and Marshall's. You can get some nice stuff there at very low prices. Look for high end brands, such as TravelPro and Samsonite black labels (Cosmolite, Curv, Cubelite, etc).

Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Check out your local TJ Maxx, Ross and Marshall's. You can get some nice stuff there at very low prices. Look for high end brands, such as TravelPro and Samsonite black labels (Cosmolite, Curv, Cubelite, etc).
Oh, I wish I had a Ross store nearby!

Thanks for the responses. It seems that soft sided is the way to go. I was leaning that way, but the hard sided ones come in such cool designs.

With all the options I have to wonder why most of the bags you see at the airport are black!

Old 09-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Another question. I'm checking the dimensions of bags to be sure they can be used as carry ons, of course, and I am not sure how to take this:

(from United Airlines page)

"The maximum combined linear measurement (length + width + height) of carry-on bags must not exceed 14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm) or 45 linear inches (114 cm)."

So, if a bag is 20.5 x 14.5 x 8, it won't work because one dimension is half an inch too big even though the combined is 43 inches (under the maximum 45 inch requirement)?

Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 PM

9,130 posts, read 17,156,839 times
Officially the 14.5 would be to 'big' to be a UAL carry on, But it so close that no gate agent would ever notice, Unless they make a big deal about it and cram it into the 'sizer'.

They most look at the lengh (will it fit in the overhead wheels in 1st), the the hight will it get into the overhead thru the overhead door/space, The fact you are using .5" more in the width is not one of the big factors.

Last edited by flyonpa; 09-28-2012 at 12:32 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Officially the 14.5 would be to 'big' to be a UAL carry on, But it so close that no gate agent would ever notice, Unless they make a big deal about it and cram it into the 'sizer'.

They most look at the lengh (will it fit in the overhead wheels in 1st), the the hight will it get into the overhead thru the overhead door/space, The fact you are using .5" more in the width is not one of the big factors.
Good to know. I was thinking they'd likely not notice a half inch as well. What's the worst that can happen? They ask me to gate check?

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:34 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,395,121 times
If you travel a lot, I recommend Case Logic. I've had a small underseat bag for 5 years. It holds my laptop in a separate safe compartment - I can pull the laptop out in a flash for security. Other outside pocket, check. And even a little zipper pocket to hold a water bottle.

18" Lightweight Upright Roller

It wasn't cheap, but I bet I'll have it for another 10 years!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
If you travel a lot, I recommend Case Logic. I've had a small underseat bag for 5 years. It holds my laptop in a separate safe compartment - I can pull the laptop out in a flash for security. Other outside pocket, check. And even a little zipper pocket to hold a water bottle.

18" Lightweight Upright Roller

It wasn't cheap, but I bet I'll have it for another 10 years!
That is really nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel