U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,729,371 times

Advertisements

So. . .

I should state I hated the 4th of July celebration in Chicago. Just wall to wall people. . bickering. . .and then there was the gunfire.

So I'm wondering.. Octoberfest in Germany sure looks like my style. . .but it looks really crowded. I imagine people being all pissy as you try to get a table, you can't move. The food is cold and the beer is stale. . .

or is it awesome?

Looks like a lot of cleavage, !bonus!.

Just wondering if this should stay on my list. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,940,307 times
It's awesome. Nobody's pi--y b/c everybody's pi-- drunk. And Austrailian.

It is crowded but not wall-to-wall people unless you are in a Beer Hall pushing toward the mosh pit around the band and singing your lungs out--like, you know, everybody else is. It also gets much "less crowded" when everyone stands on the tables and starts shout/singing/stomping. Get up there!

Also, the beer is excellent, not stale. It's local German brews which are made without preservatives. It can't be exported and it has to be drunk immediately--and everyone does. It is INSANELY expensive in the beer halls. 10 euros a liter. Drink at least two. Even on an empty stomach it won't give you a hangover thanks to the lack of preservatives. Don't eat, drink!

The trick is getting in (to both the Beer Halls and Munich itself). Hostel beds in 20-person dorms go for 200 euros a night! I can't imagine what hotels cost. We handled it by staying up drinking and partying all night. The fairgrounds close at midnight but there's plenty of nightlife in Munich. Prices drop back to normal the night of the last day of Octoberfest.

The Beer Halls fill up fast. There's probably somewhere you can wait in line like chumps. Instead, head around the back and wait by the door. When the bouncer opens it to let a few people out, duck in. Find a door with a small crowd, don't be the first in; you'll get walled off by Fritz. Wait until he's got his arms full of other door crashers, then slip past before he shoves everybody out and slams the door.

If you want to take a stein home, stay until a beer hall closes, then attach it to the back of your belt and walk out empty-handed in the middle of the rush. If you stumble out with mug in hand there's a chance they'll confiscate it, but it's not hard to sneak one or two out if you haven't drank away all your wits.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,418,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
So. . .

I should state I hated the 4th of July celebration in Chicago. Just wall to wall people. . bickering. . .and then there was the gunfire.

So I'm wondering.. Octoberfest in Germany sure looks like my style. . .but it looks really crowded. I imagine people being all pissy as you try to get a table, you can't move. The food is cold and the beer is stale. . .

or is it awesome?

Looks like a lot of cleavage, !bonus!.

Just wondering if this should stay on my list. . .
I had a blast, but I'm okay with big crowds. Finding a spot in a beer hall is a HUGE pain in the butt. The second time we went we didn't want to deal with the crowds in the halls and there is outside seating. It was a beautiful fall day so we sat outside on the big long picnic tables. We (3 of us) got there right after the parade on Day 1. We saw one open spot at a table so took it, about 15 minutes later we saw another spot at the big long table (but farther down) and took it. We asked the table to shift to sit together and they complied. They saw our 3rd person and they made room for us, so we got seated together in about 15-20 minutes. It is totally general seating. Once we were seated, we didn't move for HOURS. I believe I drank about 3 litres of beer and ate a whole chicken...cooked. Later, we wandered the beer halls, but it was chaos. The beer is fresh and cold, as it comes right out of the tap. The chicken comes right off the grill. YUM. We got really lucky, about 2 hours into our day a bunch of college students sat next to us and they spoke English, we had some pretty fun drunk conversations. We also had fun singing and generally loving it. People were generally really nice and really drunk.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 PM

16,038 posts, read 12,827,498 times
Keep it on your list!!!

And the beer is not so expensive if you take a the glass/Krug home

Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 AM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
Beer, brats and Polka dancing, what more can you ask for...

Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
That would be a nightmare to me. ALL THAT VULGAR , noisy, drunk crowd "auf der wies'n". I wouldn't partake in this event even if it was for free. Maybe the Oktoberfest was fun 50 years ago before it was so massified and commercialized now I don't understand how can civilized people can find it in the least pleasurable, it's like the techno parade in Duisburg, remember what happened last uear...

Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Oktoberfest was a bit too much even for my 'party kid', so... his troupe really enjoyed the smaller towns and 'mini-festivals', but it is 'one-of-those-things' you probably should get a taste of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or