Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times

Advertisements

I never pack valuables in anything but my carry-on and even then I keep a very close eye on it. These days anybody who leaves jewelry or electronics in checked baggage is asking for trouble. Sad but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I never pack valuables in anything but my carry-on and even then I keep a very close eye on it. These days anybody who leaves jewelry or electronics in checked baggage is asking for trouble. Sad but true.
I agree..When I fly, I only take the bare minimum and never bring anything of value, especially a laptop or jewelry.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I agree..When I fly, I only take the bare minimum and never bring anything of value, especially a laptop or jewelry.
Which is why I shop in The Limited for my jewelry

Old 10-21-2012, 10:01 AM

275 posts, read 579,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
This is what happens who you pay TSA agents $10-$12/hr. This job should be handled by professional licensed security or by actual police.
USAJOBS job advertisements show Transportation Security Officer (TSO) salary ranges from $14.00 per hour to $21.00 for new hires.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
You obviously don't travel for business.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Anyone who is caught stealing needs to be prosecuted and put in jail. TSA shouldn't be given special treatment.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Yesterday I donated an expensive measurement instrument that I had been traveling with for over 10 yrs.

to Hong Kong extension of TSA... BUT... I didn't have to remove my shoes

TSA is really lame... AND I don't expect them to be capable of identifying and apprehending any terrorists, but they make it tough on granny (and everyone else).

Just another expensive Gov Mandated hassle. When the Gov gets involved... EVERYONE suffers, and little gets done correctly. NONE gets done affordably

Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Anyone who is caught stealing needs to be prosecuted and put in jail. TSA shouldn't be given special treatment.
Yes. It should be on their permanent record. Make it rough for them to get employment anywhere. They'd probably end up on the dole and then lifelong thieves and eventually in prison. But if enough of the crooks were driven down in life the rest would not dare to steal because it would have the potential of ruining their entire lives.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:28 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yesterday I donated an expensive measurement instrument that I had been traveling with for over 10 yrs.

to Hong Kong extension of TSA... BUT... I didn't have to remove my shoes

TSA is really lame... AND I don't expect them to be capable of identifying and apprehending any terrorists, but they make it tough on granny (and everyone else).

Just another expensive Gov Mandated hassle. When the Gov gets involved... EVERYONE suffers, and little gets done correctly. NONE gets done affordably
Oh, well how do you propose that we protect ourselves from another 911? There has not been another yet, and we do find people, here and there, with bomb making paraphernalia going on to planes.

Who should be protecting us, in your book, God?
Protecting the public is one of the chief responsibilities of the federal government as set forth in the Constitution. Even most teabaggers agree with that.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I agree that the TSA employees should be put on trial for charges of theft, as they are federal employees, not rent-a-cops. As such, the code of conduct should mean arrest and prosecution, not merely termination. There is absolutely no excuse for the theft of the traveling public's property.

Baggage handlers are a different story, as they are not a part of the federal government, though the theft of property should be equally treated with arrest and prosecution. There are times when one has to take a risk with respect to checking baggage when traveling, now that the discretion over the size of items has largely been removed in the name of extra fees. I had a piece of luggage go missing (later recovered), and it just happened to have contained a fairly expensive leather jacket, that ironically was the only thing missing when the bag was recovered. And, they got it wrong when they stole the bag to get the jacket because the luggage tag was reattached, but not where it had been on many previous journeys with the same bag. And, another time, I had a locked piece of luggage come down the conveyor belt with the locks undone, missing a couple of tourist items that I had purchased for someone in my office. The nominal value (~$50) of the items missing was vexing because someone had opened the case, despite the baggage manager assuring me that nobody at the airport would unlock my case without cause. However, he had no answer for when I asked that even if I had not locked it why a poster, snow globe, and a letter opener were missing.

At the TSA security checkpoint, I keep an eye on the tray because I know people who have had small things go missing from them, once passing through security. It would be harder to steal my computer, tablet, or phone, because I use a Zero Halliburton briefcase and computer case, which have secure locks, so short of stealing the case from the conveyor belt, it's not an easy theft.

One should not have to worry about theft, which by the ABC report, seems to be much more widespread than one might think.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel