U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 PM

11,818 posts, read 8,237,362 times

Advertisements

Ok Tell me am I being overly concerned or is my sister in law Crazy.
She is heading home to Ireland next week then is thinking about going on from there to Istanbul Turkey, Morroco or possibly Egypt. I'm thinking "a single white woman late 40's travelling alone to a muslim country any of which has been very anti American recently is asking for trouble."
She will be travelling using her Irish passport and has already stated that she will not be dressing like an American. She has travelled the world since she was 20 mostly on her own but I think this time her choice might be a very bad and potentially dangerous one.
What do you think? Has anyone been there recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM

5,326 posts, read 11,043,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
she will not be dressing like an American.
Wear a burka ?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,250,294 times
Absolutely not. I am irish also and would just love to go to those places. Traveling on an irish passport is one of the safest passports to have, also if she can strenghten her accent, it will be a plus.
We have dual passports also and I am looking forward to when my kids are adults and I can travel ; hopefully my dh will come too. We have friends that have travelled extensively ; they are single and travelled alone all over the world.

Tell her to have lots of fun and take lots of photos.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM

3,662 posts, read 7,534,099 times
That sounds fun, I am in my 40s and would love to do this, tell her to have fun.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
She will love it. Tell her to show respect to the local people by wearing long sleeves and covering her legs. If she is not willing to show respect to the people, she has no right to complain if they do not show her respect. But she's traveled enough that she already knows that.

She's in her 40s, men are not going to bother her. Occasionally, some jerk will be rude, have somebody teach her how to insult them in Arabic.

Morocco and Turkey are very westernized countries. Plenty of women there, especially younger generation, are as socially free as women you'd expect to find in Spain or Greece or Mexico.

Courteous respectful hospitality and generosity toward strangers and travelers are articles of faith among Muslims, and with few exceptions, they take that commandment very seriously. There is no danger. My wife and I lived in Jordan for two years and traveled all over Syria and Iran and Egypt and Sudan and Kuwait, and she was never harassed once.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-05-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Ok Tell me am I being overly concerned or is my sister in law Crazy.
She is heading home to Ireland next week then is thinking about going on from there to Istanbul Turkey, Morroco or possibly Egypt. I'm thinking "a single white woman late 40's travelling alone to a muslim country any of which has been very anti American recently is asking for trouble."
She will be travelling using her Irish passport and has already stated that she will not be dressing like an American. She has travelled the world since she was 20 mostly on her own but I think this time her choice might be a very bad and potentially dangerous one.
What do you think? Has anyone been there recently?
I agree your sister in law is nuts, but not because of any of the reasons you have listed here.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,742,864 times
Istanbul is a place where transvestites walk up and down the street in broad daylight.

I don't think she'll have any trouble there. Quite the opposite -- it's an absolutely wonderful and beautiful place.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I agree your sister in law is nuts, but not because of any of the reasons you have listed here.
Quick, tell us everything else you know about her. We can't wait to hear all the dirt.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
I wouldn't go to Egypt right now, it's just too unstable for my comfort, although there isn't a travel warning issued.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to Casablanca or Istanbul. Both are very welcoming to Western tourists, and there is no travel warning currently issued by the US Dept of State to either of those countries.

As was previously mentioned, wearing modest clothing and carrying a head scarf for visiting sacred places is a must.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 AM

11,818 posts, read 8,237,362 times
I'm surprised by the responses here, maybe I am being to cautious? With all the turmoil in the middle east and anger toward America I just picture some kid beating her up or throwing a rock at her because she is white, "OH Sorry your Irish, my mistake... Good luck with that gash in your head" hey it can happen here if say a muslim person was walking down the street in their traditional garb.
My sister in law has been to all 7 continents and has lived in 5 different countries and she has done alot of her travelling by herself. She also speaks 4 languages and is rather worldly but I still think SHE IS NUTZ.
Thanks to the responders now I don't have to worry about her that much.
She is off to Ireland now and due back in 3 weeks. I wonder if she will still tack on Turkey or if it will be Greece?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or