U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 14,135,802 times

Advertisements

I love it. Protection from lousy baggage handling. Been using it for years, never had the wrap taken off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 03:40 PM

8,607 posts, read 11,111,868 times
I get it more for security reasons, as in light fingered airport employees, rather than anything else. Now in Asia when I was there last, the new trend is bags for your bags, so they don't get dirty. But what happens when the outside bag gets dirty?

Old 05-27-2016, 08:09 AM

163 posts, read 96,666 times
I've seen people shrink wrap their bags because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninoy_...anting_scandal

Old 05-30-2016, 02:03 AM

13,908 posts, read 25,378,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srschirm View Post
I've seen people shrink wrap their bags because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninoy_...anting_scandal
Yep! People do this to keep others from stashing 'stuff' in their bags! In some areas this is very common and most people pay to have their bags wrapped. Then they know right away if their bag has been opened.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:03 PM

5,488 posts, read 2,941,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I get it more for security reasons, as in light fingered airport employees, rather than anything else. Now in Asia when I was there last, the new trend is bags for your bags, so they don't get dirty. But what happens when the outside bag gets dirty?
Oh nooooooo!!!!!!!

Luggage provides protection to what is inside.
Then we buy protection to protect the luggage.
Now we need another bag to protect the bag that protects the luggage that protects what is inside.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:20 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,046,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
we've never done this when travelling internationally, but, when i see passengers checking in their luggage with shrink wrap around them, isn't TSA going to remove it after it's been checked in?

that's like padlocking the zipz together of the luggage and TSA removing it after the luggage has been checked in.

Also, where do you shrink wrap your luggage? May sound like an easy question but I've never done this myself.

Many travelers to Asia are shrink wrapping their luggage not to avoid theft but to prevent scams like the "bullet scam" that has been occurring frequently at Aquino Airport in Manila, Philippines.

Philippines airport bullet-in-bag scam hits travelers - CNN.com
Philippine legislators angered by Manila 'bullet scam' - BBC News

In this scam, live bullets are dropped into the suitcases of Western travelers by airport personnel. When they go through customs with their bags, the bullets are found and the traveler is detained. The passenger is then detained until they come up with the money to pay the fine. It has been such a problem that it has been investigated by the Philippine Congress and has been widely reported in the international press.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:56 PM

8,607 posts, read 11,111,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Many travelers to Asia are shrink wrapping their luggage not to avoid theft but to prevent scams like the "bullet scam" that has been occurring frequently at Aquino Airport in Manila, Philippines.

In this scam, live bullets are dropped into the suitcases of Western travelers by airport personnel. When they go through customs with their bags, the bullets are found and the traveler is detained. The passenger is then detained until they come up with the money to pay the fine. It has been such a problem that it has been investigated by the Philippine Congress and has been widely reported in the international press.
Actually they don't aim, pardon the pun, for Westerners, as we'll complain. Loudly. Like most of Asia, face is important, and as your BBC article says, they tend to target OFW's and other Asians.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 PM

9,051 posts, read 8,459,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

The news article you cite is from November 2015, yet the baggage shrink wrapping biz has been around for many years. It simply doesn't make any sense that a regional scam us driving an industry. People are shrink wrapping their luggage for other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel