Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,702 times

Advertisements

I live in NY and it is FREEZING during the winter. I really enjoy going to warmer places in general. My mother and I are planning a Christmas week vacation to somewhere warmer, somewhere with t-shirt-like weather. Initially, the thought of going to the Bahamas on a cruise came up but our family members didn't jump on board since we own our building and they want to be here to take care of things. She believes it's going to be absolutely boring on the ship if it's just the 2 of us.

She planned on getting a friend to go to Las Vegas, but I'm not 21 yet and there is almost NOTHING I can do there but sit around. Also thought of going to San Francisco but we'd want to visit Yosemite Park, which isn't the ideal time to be there by December. We like fun but she's not willing to go to Hawaii or anywhere farther than California, since she's using up the last of her vacation days since they won't merge with next year's vacation days. We've been to Orlando before but Miami is out of the way for sure since she's not exactly party-type material. I'd really love to make the best of these few years of vacations with my mother as much as I can since I'll be moving out after college.

Is there a nice, warm-weathered city we can visit in December? We don't drive so we can't rent a car to go anywhere. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
I live in NY and it is FREEZING during the winter. I really enjoy going to warmer places in general. My mother and I are planning a Christmas week vacation to somewhere warmer, somewhere with t-shirt-like weather. Initially, the thought of going to the Bahamas on a cruise came up but our family members didn't jump on board since we own our building and they want to be here to take care of things. She believes it's going to be absolutely boring on the ship if it's just the 2 of us.

She planned on getting a friend to go to Las Vegas, but I'm not 21 yet and there is almost NOTHING I can do there but sit around. Also thought of going to San Francisco but we'd want to visit Yosemite Park, which isn't the ideal time to be there by December. We like fun but she's not willing to go to Hawaii or anywhere farther than California, since she's using up the last of her vacation days since they won't merge with next year's vacation days. We've been to Orlando before but Miami is out of the way for sure since she's not exactly party-type material. I'd really love to make the best of these few years of vacations with my mother as much as I can since I'll be moving out after college.

Is there a nice, warm-weathered city we can visit in December? We don't drive so we can't rent a car to go anywhere. TIA!

With all the limitations you have listed, I am hard pressed to recommend ANY place.

I could recommend San Diego, BUT the public transportation is NOT all that great and it can be hard to get around. Ditto for LA and Orange Co.

San Francisco won't be warm and it might be gloomy that time of year. Ditto for Seattle.

Miami Beach would work or the Florida Keys.

Many of the cities of the Deep South are warm BUT ... a lot closes around the holidays AND again if you can't drive.

Personally, I don't like to fly over Christmas as the fares are terrible, the crowds are bad, and a lot of the attractions are closed. But sometimes, it is the only time available.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:14 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
How about New Orleans? I think the weather should be warm then. We went several years back in May. It has great transportation. The trolleys go just about everywhere. Great restaurants. I loved the Art Museum and it also has a zoo. Entertainment and music on every block. One thing I missed was the wonderful shopping on Magazine Street. We stayed right in the French Quarter at "Place de Arms" and I would recommend it.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 10-06-2012 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
With all the limitations you have listed, I am hard pressed to recommend ANY place.

I could recommend San Diego, BUT the public transportation is NOT all that great and it can be hard to get around. Ditto for LA and Orange Co.
Actually I would like to suggest Los Angeles. If you plan your trip correctly, it is possible to manage to visit L.A. without renting a car and solely relying on public transportation. For example you could stay near Santa Monica or Venice beach if you are interested in the beach. Alternately you could stay in the Miracle Mile area (which has several museums) and there you would have access to public transportation that goes to Santa Monica and the 3rd Promenade area.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:44 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,737 times
I would suggest WDWm there is so much to do but it's also very expensive at xmas time. As far as the weather it can be iffy from cool to nice a warm. Key West might interest you.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Key West is definitely doable without driving, but airfare there is steep--and at this point it's probably nearing sold out for Christmas week.

Have you considered an all inclusive in the Caribbean? You'd need to get passports unless you are going to Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, but you still have time for that as long as you apply NOW.

I disagree that LA is doable without driving. Yes, technically it is, but you won't be able to see some of the best things without a car.

San Diego might be a better option, and it's nicer anyhow.

You've been to Orlando, but have you really seen the area? Forget the tourist spots. We have museums, galleries, great performing arts, and plenty of restaurants that tourists never find out about. Consider staying at the Grand Bohemian in Downtown Orlando and see what the City Beautiful actually offers outside the theme parks.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
I would suggest an all-inclusive in the Caribbean or the Keys.

CA will not be warm in December, at least the "warm" you describe; even San Diego is a low of 48 and a high of 65 in December - that is not t-shirt weather. Still a great place to visit during that timeframe though.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
I'd also say an all-inclusive in the Caribbean. Anything north of about Ft. Lauderdale in Florida isn't necessarily going to be beach weather from December through early February.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
I'm not a huge fan of Puerto Rico, but staying in Old Town San Juan might be a good choice given your limitations. It's easily walkable with a lot of beautiful historical architecture, forts, and beautiful ocean views. Beaches are easily accessible by cab and you can arrange tours from Old Town to El Yunque or other outlying areas that might interest you.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
You might want to look into San Antonio, TX~it's usually warm, and it is a very walkable city, if you stay near or along the Riverwalk area. There is also a trolley that runs around town so you can see the sights and get on/off where you at places that you are interested in exploring. Most of the hotels have shuttle service to/from the airport.

You might actually enjoy Las Vegas, the pools at the hotels are great, there are some great shows and shopping, and you can walk the entire strip and just people watch and explore the architecture and the boutique type stores. We don't gamble and thoroughly enjoyed Las Vegas, the trolley there runs up and down the strip, and some of the side tours (Hoover Dam) are fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel