Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

How long in advance do you plan trips? Do you buy your ticket? What has been the space between the thought of "I could go there!" and its actual realization?

I started planning a week-long independent trip to NYC in late November or early December 2006. I went in March 2007.

I came up with the idea for my Spain trip on the way back home from church in December 2007, bought the main ticket in about January, and spent 26 days there and in Morocco in May and June 2008. However, I had been intending on going to Europe for about four and a half years prior, since my junior year of high school.

My trip to Mexico (in March 2011) evolved out of a planned trip to India I had first thought of the summer before. I changed my destination to Mexico in around December. I bought the ticket about three weeks in advance, and spent 24 days there.

Any further planning for major trips will likely have to be short, as my brain tumor is unpredictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
4-6 months, if possible. Since we always fly Southwest Airlines, I can rebook if my work plans change.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
4-6 months, if possible. Since we always fly Southwest Airlines, I can rebook if my work plans change.
that saves my BACON ^^^^ (free re-booking) and for elderly / or anyone with schedule / health concerns traveling I INSIST on SWA after fighting months to get refunds / changes on other carriers.

I usually plan via their promotions (such as the one today...) so I will book several trips out to 14 Feb (end of current special), then If I don't get to go... I will rebook on the next special.

For international I get last minute deals every weds (Today I'm back in China, next month Thailand, with a trip to SC in between).

I'm free on a moments notice, so I plan ahead about 5 minutes, but desire MORE time if possible. I rarely plan very far out, as I might kick the bucket and would MISS the TRIP. That would be terrible.

I'm working on an intinerary for Round-the-world with free miles, so I will have to plan that a bit further in advance. I want to make 12 stops and take 12 months (the current limit for RTW tickets). I hope to keep some flexibility in the schedule, as I might find somewhere I REALLY like. Or someone who really needs help. Since I stay in Private Guest homes, I have been known to delay trip a week or so or even completely change, to stay and help someone out.

For road trips, I most like to help OTHER folks move.(especially retirees) (Then I can LEAVE them with the mess...)
For a ticket home (or somewhere else I want to go...). I will drive their moving truck cross country. LOVE to do that as a retiree. (Maybe I should start a business....) I will help them load and unload for free food.

I just LOVE to be GONE... tho I have a drop dead gorgeous view @ home... just LUCKY I guess (while I still have my eyesight... fading FAST.)

Old 10-11-2012, 05:52 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Some trips are planned a few months in advance but some trips are simply last minute.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Depends on the trip.

We're going to New Orleans at the end of the month, I bought concert tickets, plane tickets, and put a deposit on the hotel back in May, but we really wanted to get a good deal on airfare, had a specific hotel in mind and wanted to secure a room.

We're going to Europe in June 2013, but have no idea where, and it will be some months until we figure anything out. Airfare will probably be pricey no matter what, we'll do our best.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
How long in advance do you plan trips? Do you buy your ticket? What has been the space between the thought of "I could go there!" and its actual realization?

I started planning a week-long independent trip to NYC in late November or early December 2006. I went in March 2007.

I came up with the idea for my Spain trip on the way back home from church in December 2007, bought the main ticket in about January, and spent 26 days there and in Morocco in May and June 2008. However, I had been intending on going to Europe for about four and a half years prior, since my junior year of high school.

My trip to Mexico (in March 2011) evolved out of a planned trip to India I had first thought of the summer before. I changed my destination to Mexico in around December. I bought the ticket about three weeks in advance, and spent 24 days there.

Any further planning for major trips will likely have to be short, as my brain tumor is unpredictable.
Normally we start planning about 3 or 4months in advance: the cruise we are taking in Jan was booked in early July, but our week long trip to Vegas last May was planned and paid for about 2 or 3 months before we left and we are doing a week long road trip starting this Saturday. I think we started planning it in August.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
It really varies. We often plan and book cruises about 18 months out. We have one booked for 13 months from now right now. I'm booking flights to Lisbon soon, for a trip in March, about 5 months out. Shorter trips we book closer to travel.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
that saves my BACON ^^^^ (free re-booking) and for elderly / or anyone with schedule / health concerns traveling I INSIST on SWA after fighting months to get refunds / changes on other carriers.
Got tired, really tired of eating change fees. I guess that I decided in 2002 that it was better to change airlines than to fight.

Hope you saw the latest 40% off promotions. Last night's deal, MDW-ELP RT for $155

Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Got tired, really tired of eating change fees. I guess that I decided in 2002 that it was better to change airlines than to fight.

Hope you saw the latest 40% off promotions. Last night's deal, MDW-ELP RT for $155
Oh, yes I booked several trips... Maybe I'll get to go.... Maybe I won't. FREE changes, FREE bags, FREE tickets, FAST boarding, ON-TIME departures, makes even road warriors what to Get On and GO!!! I LUV SWA
CO, Tucson, El Paso, San Diego, Austin, all sound great (and sunny) between now and Feb 14th. I'm 20 minutes from a Super nice and quick, well served International airport !!! (And I get to live in the boonies) but DIAL-UP stinks... As long as I can print my boarding passes . As soon as some idiot web designer adds VIDEO clip advertising to boarding passes.... I'm sunk. Can't do banking... to slow of delay for security handshake.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Oh, yes I booked several trips... Maybe I'll get to go.... Maybe I won't. FREE changes, FREE bags, FREE tickets, FAST boarding, ON-TIME departures, makes even road warriors what to Get On and GO!!! I LUV SWA
CO, Tucson, El Paso, San Diego, Austin, all sound great (and sunny) between now and Feb 14th. I'm 20 minutes from a Super nice and quick, well served International airport !!! (And I get to live in the boonies) but DIAL-UP stinks... As long as I can print my boarding passes . As soon as some idiot web designer adds VIDEO clip advertising to boarding passes.... I'm sunk. Can't do banking... to slow of delay for security handshake.

I wrote down twenty destinations and tossed the list over to the wife and let her make the decision ... El Paso and Nashville were the winners.

I was even able to score some reasonable car rental deals. I will be able to get lower rates closer BUT i want to lock in what I can get out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel