U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:10 AM

863 posts, read 1,064,777 times

Advertisements

The thought of charging for unfiltered cabin air hasn't occurred to them yet. Don't hold your breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What I have heard (and researched) is that those who are the last to check in are the first to be bumped from a flight.

This from Independenttraveler.com:

From Airfarewatchdog.com:

From another site:

I guess I'll find out today.

Also, I don't know how much of a "frequent flier" one needs to be. I fly Delta about twice a year - probably not enough to qualify as a frequent flier. I fly about 6 times a year but of course that's not always on Delta.
Typically the check-in process includes getting a seat assignment as far as the airlines are concerned. You might have "checked in" but without a seat assignment, if the seats are all gone, you'll be the one left behind if the flight is oversold--unless you've got decent level FF status.

The Airfarewatchdog.com info is out-of-date. That's what's called a "back up" and the carriers have stopped doing that. Some never did it to begin with.

If you can't qualify for status, you aren't a "frequent flyer."

Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Typically the check-in process includes getting a seat assignment as far as the airlines are concerned. You might have "checked in" but without a seat assignment, if the seats are all gone, you'll be the one left behind if the flight is oversold--unless you've got decent level FF status.

The Airfarewatchdog.com info is out-of-date. That's what's called a "back up" and the carriers have stopped doing that. Some never did it to begin with.

If you can't qualify for status, you aren't a "frequent flyer."
No troubles on my trip. I was assured the moment I got to the airport that there would be no "bumping" me, since I had checked in 24 hours in advance and showed up an hour before the flight took off. In fact, the Delta personnel at the gate told me "confidentially" ("I never told you this - wink wink") that they are just waiting to see who would PAY for a seat - it's a money maker. But checking in early is what keeps one from getting bumped. They said that I would not get a specific seat ASSIGNED to me till about fifteen minutes before boarding - which is exactly what happened.

By the way, both flights were completely full, and on both flights, some customers were bumped - I believe voluntarily, since it is a fairly common practice for some people to actually TRY to get bumped for financial gain. To each his own.

Just giving you feedback on my own personal experience with Delta.

As for being a "frequent flier," since my family and vacation destinations are all over the world, I don't limit my flying to one or two specific carriers - it's not cost efficient and therefore definitely NOT worth the "effort" to get a "status" from one or two carriers when I may be able to get a ticket for hundreds of dollars less by shopping around.

I fly about six times a year - sometimes more, that's a minimum. I've done so for years. Never been bumped.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:20 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,746,596 times
I've never tried to get bumped on purpose but in 2003/04(?) my dh and I were flying back home to Scotland from the US, so it was either Jan 1st of 2nd. Flight was overbooked and they asked for volunteers to fly the next day. Since they gave us $400 each (a check which we cashed in the airport), moved us to business class, paid for our overnight hotel, and gave us food vouchers, you can bet we took it!

The airline was US Airways.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,182,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just booked a flight on Delta a couple of weeks ago. The flight is on a "puddle jumper" so there's no such thing as a great seat - you either have aisle or window and everyone is going to be cramped!

I noticed when I booked the flight that the option to choose my seat was not available.

Today when I was checking in online, Delta prompted me to choose a seat. Amazingly (not), there were only aisle and window seats available - because that's the only seat type on that plane.

Imagine my surprise when I noticed that aisle and window seats are "preferred seating options" with a $9 "upgrade" fee. WHAT THE HECK!

So - I didn't choose a seat. I mean, I was born at night but not last night, baby.

I got a message saying I would receive my seat assignment at the gate. Yay for me!

I wondered if anyone else had experienced this and if there are any negative ramifications for NOT choosing a seat - if the seat choice doesn't matter to you? I mean, there were only four seats left and all of them were either aisle or window. I am checking in five minutes after I got the notification, so I shouldn't be "bumped."

I am curious about this new "option" - and this new fee.

By the way, it's a connecting flight. When I booked the trip, I was able to choose my first flight's seating assignment at no extra charge.

Interesting...
I flew an airline in Australia once and I had to pay $20 for a seat. I didn't get to choose where it was and it wouldn't let me book unless I chose a seat. It was the strangest thing.

Delta is in the same boat as many other carriers. Raising fares is looked upon negatively. They'd rather raise fees instead -- and then give some lame justification on what they fees actually mean.

If you have a boarding pass, are a paying passenger, and are at the gate, then the gate agent should issue a seat. People have been bumped off for stranger things, though. Trust me.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:18 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,091,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I was thinking Spirit.

At least with the legacies if there are ir ops they'll interline. Not so with the rest of them. Spirit, Allegiant, etc.--if your flight is cancelled, too bad--even if they only fly that route 2x a week.
Sounds like I've found a fellow flyertalker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or