U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 PM

44,797 posts, read 36,172,094 times

Advertisements

Just booked a flight on Delta a couple of weeks ago. The flight is on a "puddle jumper" so there's no such thing as a great seat - you either have aisle or window and everyone is going to be cramped!

I noticed when I booked the flight that the option to choose my seat was not available.

Today when I was checking in online, Delta prompted me to choose a seat. Amazingly (not), there were only aisle and window seats available - because that's the only seat type on that plane.

Imagine my surprise when I noticed that aisle and window seats are "preferred seating options" with a $9 "upgrade" fee. WHAT THE HECK!

So - I didn't choose a seat. I mean, I was born at night but not last night, baby.

I got a message saying I would receive my seat assignment at the gate. Yay for me!

I wondered if anyone else had experienced this and if there are any negative ramifications for NOT choosing a seat - if the seat choice doesn't matter to you? I mean, there were only four seats left and all of them were either aisle or window. I am checking in five minutes after I got the notification, so I shouldn't be "bumped."

I am curious about this new "option" - and this new fee.

By the way, it's a connecting flight. When I booked the trip, I was able to choose my first flight's seating assignment at no extra charge.

Interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 04:24 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
If you were a frequent flyer you would have been able to choose one of those seats without paying for it.

Those without a seat assignment are the first to be IDB.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Just another reason to avoid the HIGH FEE legacy airlines.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:11 PM

71,964 posts, read 83,640,243 times
This is getting totally out of hand; yes, if you are not a frequent flyer on a particular line there are a lot of extra charges, but then, our low priced carrier we are taking to Orlando in Jan does not allow any carryons other than a purse, laptop, etc. and they now, are charging for soft drinks: $2 for 1/2 can...

Nita

Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is getting totally out of hand; yes, if you are not a frequent flyer on a particular line there are a lot of extra charges, but then, our low priced carrier we are taking to Orlando in Jan does not allow any carryons other than a purse, laptop, etc. and they now, are charging for soft drinks: $2 for 1/2 can...

Nita

Flying Allegiant?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM

11,945 posts, read 21,533,730 times
"Puddle jumpers" operate something like 50% of all domestic departures...they are as big if not bigger than the mainline aircraft of the 70's, 80's, and 90's...get used to it.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
"Puddle jumpers" operate something like 50% of all domestic departures...they are as big if not bigger than the mainline aircraft of the 70's, 80's, and 90's...get used to it.

And a lot of the "puddle jumpers" are operated by small regional operators. The pilots generally have less experience than those who fly the major airlines. Also, the safety record of the regionals are also not quite as good as the major airlines. But the fares are not any cheaper.

I will admit that the flight crew on the few United Express flights I have taken were much friendlier than teh ones on United Airlines.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 AM

44,797 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you were a frequent flyer you would have been able to choose one of those seats without paying for it.

Those without a seat assignment are the first to be IDB.
What I have heard (and researched) is that those who are the last to check in are the first to be bumped from a flight.

This from Independenttraveler.com:
Quote:
If you have obligations in your destination city and absolutely cannot afford to be bumped from a flight, arrive as early as possible at the airport, especially if you're taking a popular route. Better yet, check in online before you even leave for the airport. The last passengers to check in for the flight are typically the ones who find themselves bumped involuntarily. If you're at the gate before the majority of the passengers have checked in, your chances of retaining your original reservation are favorable.
From Airfarewatchdog.com:
Quote:
Of course, the easiest thing you can do to prevent getting bumped is arrive early. On overbooked flights, the last passengers to check in are among the first to get kicked off. And for those days when time is most definitely not on your side, call the airline in advance to let them know you'll be late and reserve a seat on the next flight.
From another site:
Quote:
The airline staff will probably work through a selection criteria potentially based on the following:

Last people to check in (providing they are not their top tier frequent flyer)
People who didn't reconfirm their flight prior to arriving
I guess I'll find out today.

Also, I don't know how much of a "frequent flier" one needs to be. I fly Delta about twice a year - probably not enough to qualify as a frequent flier. I fly about 6 times a year but of course that's not always on Delta.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-08-2012 at 05:06 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Flying Allegiant?
I was thinking Spirit.

At least with the legacies if there are ir ops they'll interline. Not so with the rest of them. Spirit, Allegiant, etc.--if your flight is cancelled, too bad--even if they only fly that route 2x a week.

Last edited by annerk; 10-08-2012 at 05:13 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And a lot of the "puddle jumpers" are operated by small regional operators. The pilots generally have less experience than those who fly the major airlines. Also, the safety record of the regionals are also not quite as good as the major airlines. But the fares are not any cheaper.

I will admit that the flight crew on the few United Express flights I have taken were much friendlier than teh ones on United Airlines.
Actually, a few of the regionals have excellent safety records. United has the worst overall safety record of all US regular commercial airlines, including the regionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or