U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,287,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you want a Starwood property in Venice, I would look to the Hotel Danieli before the Westin. A regular guest room is perhaps ~$100 more a night, but worth the difference, though view rooms and suites are significantly more expensive, though perhaps not as expensive as the Cipriani-Vendramin or some of the Bauer Hotel rooms.

For train travel, book through Eurail where you can buy passes for the number of days you need. You can book Italy only, which will allow you to be able to go to side trips via rail, should you wish to do so when in Italy. DO NOT travel anything other than First Class on the trains, however, as the other classes are more suited to adventure travel than a relaxing experience. A 10 day pass within two months in Italy is somewhere around $500 for First Class, so it's not a bad deal, overall, especially since you have flexibility to be able to go to side destinations. If you are all traveling together, you may even be able to get the group rate on the trains, but if some want to go to one destination, and others to another, it's easier to have individual passes.

Also, do not forget travel insurance, including emergency medical insurance/evacuation. It can be a great help, and sometimes it's better to pay extra for the service than to depend upon a free benefit from a credit card, I have found. It's a nominal expense, and much less expensive than pay and claim for medical services that are covered under the policy.
I'll look at the Hotel Danieli, didn't know it was a Starwood property! If the difference in price in nominal and offers a better experience, I'd be fine booking it. I'll look it up after my coffee gets done percolating.

Thanks for the Eurorail advice, need to book those as well. $500 isn't bad for a ten day pass and if allows going to side destinations, it'd probably be a good deal.

I'll be sure to take out travel insurance, I do for any major trip I take.

This trip should be the experience of a lifetime especially with my parents and siblings along.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 AM

548 posts, read 1,806,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I have more suggestions than I know what to do with! I appreciate everyone responding, I'll be sure to look up quite a few places!

I'm buying our plane tickets this week and will likely book the hotel rooms as well. I had a conference call with my siblings earlier this afternoon to make sure we're all on the same page. We've made a democratic decision that it'd be best to get separate hotel rooms instead of trying to share rooms...it's just not going to work as we all have radically different types of schedules and biological clocks. I'm trying to figure rough estimates for everything so I can get a baseline of what expenses we're going to incur, if anyone can give me some information about the "?" ones I'd be appreciative.

PHX-FCO and VCE-PHX = $1050/ pp or $6300 total

St. Regis Rome = $470/ night, five rooms $2350, five nights total- $11,750
St. Regis Florence = $760/ night, five rooms $3800, four nights total- $15,200
Westin Europa & Regina Venice = $380/ night, five rooms $1900, two nights- $3800
__________________________________________________ _________________________
$30,750 total for accommodations

FOOD I figured at $80 per person per day? Roughly $500 total per day?
__________________________________________________ __________
$6000 total for food for 12 day visit? Accurate?

Museum passes? Not a clue
High speed rail between the cities? No idea.
Other expenses I'm not thinking of?

Dad wanted a base amount of what I figured the trip would cost, after flight, hotel, and food...I'm thinking of between $45K and $50K for the six of us for 12 days in Italy. Sounds realistic to me albeit a bit more than I originally thought.
5 rooms? You mean 4, 3 siblings and your parents unless your parents want separate rooms. Ask for the nicest room for your parents since they are paying... You might contact the hotels directly and see if they can offer you a discount for so many rooms. Food is probably close to accurate unless your into expensive wines. We stayed at hotels which offered a small breakfast so we didn't have to pay for those. Museum passes maybe 20 euro per museum on average some cheaper some more expensive. Go to trenitalia for train information.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
5 rooms? You mean 4, 3 siblings and your parents unless your parents want separate rooms. Ask for the nicest room for your parents since they are paying... You might contact the hotels directly and see if they can offer you a discount for so many rooms. Food is probably close to accurate unless your into expensive wines. We stayed at hotels which offered a small breakfast so we didn't have to pay for those. Museum passes maybe 20 euro per museum on average some cheaper some more expensive. Go to trenitalia for train information.
Well...I plan on going as well. My parents, myself, and my 3 siblings (2 brothers, 1 sister). One room for my parents and a room for each of us.

I'll book a larger room for my parents, I think my mom wants the second honeymoon type of experience combined with a family vacation. Besides, my dad hates small hotel rooms and is claustrophobic staying in small spaces for extended periods of time.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
If you want a Starwood property in Venice, I would look to the Hotel Danieli before the Westin. A regular guest room is perhaps ~$100 more a night, but worth the difference, though view rooms and suites are significantly more expensive, though perhaps not as expensive as the Cipriani-Vendramin or some of the Bauer Hotel rooms.
BEAUTIFUL hotel, going to book Hotel Danieli. Only $20 or so more per night.

Going to book everything today, I think my credit card is starting to sweat a bit.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,427,423 times
Quote:
BEAUTIFUL hotel, going to book Hotel Danieli. Only $20 or so more per night.

Going to book everything today, I think my credit card is starting to sweat a bit.
You will LOVE the Danieli, as it's more Venetian than the Westin, and very well managed, though there's nothing inherently wrong with the Westin, it's just much more of a tourist hotel. I am sure you will have a fantastic trip with your parents and siblings.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-22-2012, 12:35 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
I have more suggestions than I know what to do with! I appreciate everyone responding, I'll be sure to look up quite a few places!

I'm buying our plane tickets this week and will likely book the hotel rooms as well. I had a conference call with my siblings earlier this afternoon to make sure we're all on the same page. We've made a democratic decision that it'd be best to get separate hotel rooms instead of trying to share rooms...it's just not going to work as we all have radically different types of schedules and biological clocks. I'm trying to figure rough estimates for everything so I can get a baseline of what expenses we're going to incur, if anyone can give me some information about the "?" ones I'd be appreciative.

PHX-FCO and VCE-PHX = $1050/ pp or $6300 total

Quote:
St. Regis Rome = $470/ night, five rooms $2350, five nights total- $11,750
St. Regis Florence = $760/ night, five rooms $3800, four nights total- $15,200
Westin Europa & Regina Venice = $380/ night, five rooms $1900, two nights- $3800
__________________________________________________ _________________________
$30,750 total for accommodations
Have you included VAT/taxes? that can add almost 20% in cost.

Quote:
FOOD I figured at $80 per person per day? Roughly $500 total per day?
__________________________________________________ __________
$6000 total for food for 12 day visit? Accurate?
Very low. If breakfast is a roll and coffee, lunch is a slice of pizza, and dinner is a bowl of pasta, that's doable. If you want to actually eat, you should plan on a minimum of $100 per person, per day. Even leaving the tourist areas, a very light lunch splitting a 10" thin crust pizza and a small carafe of house wine was 16 Euro ($20) plus service.

Quote:
Museum passes? Not a clue
High speed rail between the cities? No idea.
Other expenses I'm not thinking of?
Museums and attractions will range from free to $50 or so per person. No idea on the rail, I can tell you that the Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini was 14 Euro per person O/W.

You are missing local transportation such as cabs, buses, and subways, souvenirs, snacks, laundry costs (you will need to pack light to use the trains), and small personal expenses.

You also need to consider the things you'll need before you leave--comfortable walking shoes, luggage, a waist wallet to wear under clothing to secure valuables, guidebooks, passports, etc.

Quote:
Dad wanted a base amount of what I figured the trip would cost, after flight, hotel, and food...I'm thinking of between $45K and $50K for the six of us for 12 days in Italy. Sounds realistic to me albeit a bit more than I originally thought.
I would strongly consider renting a flat that would accommodate your group in Rome and Florence. You'll cut both lodging and food expenses in half.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Have you looked at recent airfare? I think you are $400-600 per person off.

Very low. If breakfast is a roll and coffee, lunch is a slice of pizza, and dinner is a bowl of pasta, that's doable. If you want to actually eat, you should plan on a minimum of $100 per person, per day. Even leaving the tourist areas, a very light lunch splitting a 10" thin crust pizza and a small carafe of house wine was 16 Euro ($20) plus service.

Museums and attractions will range from free to $50 or so per person. No idea on the rail, I can tell you that the Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini was 14 Euro per person O/W.

You are missing local transportation such as cabs, buses, and subways, souvenirs, snacks, laundry costs (you will need to pack light to use the trains), and small personal expenses.

You also need to consider the things you'll need before you leave--comfortable walking shoes, luggage, a waist wallet to wear under clothing to secure valuables, guidebooks, passports, etc.

I would strongly consider renting a flat that would accommodate your group in Rome and Florence. You'll cut both lodging and food expenses in half.
No, I checked the prices just 10 minutes ago and it ranges between $1040 and $1060/ per person for the flights.

We all have passports, luggage, walking shoes, etc. No expense there.

Cab and bus fairs aren't figured in, that's not something I can probably estimate to an accuracy.

The idea behind having 5 separate hotel rooms is so we don't need to share a space. The money isn't as big of an issue, it's just something my parents want a general idea of cost.

Will have to look up the various museums and Europasses for the trains.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 PM

216 posts, read 360,774 times
Carry a massive chip on your shoulder. I'm not kidding. My two favourite words in Italy were F*** You.

Italy is full of degenerates and losers. Be polite but very firm with the locals.

It sounds rude, but that country is full of people that want to make your life miserable. I cannot tell you how many people I told to F off.

Just my .02

Old 10-23-2012, 07:48 AM

548 posts, read 1,806,825 times
Speedy, will your parents adopt me? Enjoy your trip. I had a blast.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
Speedy, will your parents adopt me? Enjoy your trip. I had a blast.
Thank you, I'm truly looking forward to it!

I never traveled much growing up, my dad farmed and we just didn't get away often. When we did travel, it wasn't to any type of exotic destination; either went boating at the lake or went to the state fair or something. During prosperous years, my dad made good money and shoveled it away for retirement. He's now 70, my mom just turned 65; they snowbird, they travel (recently went to Israel), and they enjoy life. I'm lucky enough to have both of them in good health and I think this trip is sort of the family vacation we never had growing up...but I think my siblings and I will appreciate this trip more than we would've when we were young.

I'm blessed to have the parents I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or