U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,662,179 times

Advertisements

Speedy,

I realize you want space and all, however Anne made a good point about renting an apartment. Just my two cents for what it is worth: 30K is alot of money for motel rooms. Of course, if I could afford it, its a non issue too. However, for me, I'd cut back on the motel rooms, by renting a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment and fly business class to Italy. The flights in coach can by killer. Again, just my 2 cents.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,294,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Speedy,

I realize you want space and all, however Anne made a good point about renting an apartment. Just my two cents for what it is worth: 30K is alot of money for motel rooms. Of course, if I could afford it, its a non issue too. However, for me, I'd cut back on the motel rooms, by renting a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment and fly business class to Italy. The flights in coach can by killer. Again, just my 2 cents.
It is a lot of money and I could NEVER dream of spending that much on a vacation, but it's cleared with my parents and the hotel rooms are booked. In all honesty, they have enough excess yearly income from land rent and investments to not worry about spending money on travel. It's what they enjoy doing and I won't deny them of paying for us kids to go along.

I'm thinking about looking at business class as well; the thought crossed my mind a few days ago that this flight really could be a long one. My parents have enough reward points to upgrade for business class for free so I've already made sure they'll be flying comfortably. The difference between economy and business class on the airline we're looking at is over $3500; I really think my siblings and I are going to be stuck in economy while my parents can be comfortable in business. I don't expect my parents to pay for everything on this trip so I think I'm just going to tell my siblings that if they want business class, they can shuck out the money for it.

I've also made another executive decision...Speedy is DEFINITELY flying business class. I want to arrive in Rome as rested as possible; not a red-eyed zombie that is pissed off at the world. My prediction is that each of my siblings will follow my mindset; we're different in many ways but we think alike as well.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM

548 posts, read 1,807,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
It is a lot of money and I could NEVER dream of spending that much on a vacation, but it's cleared with my parents and the hotel rooms are booked. In all honesty, they have enough excess yearly income from land rent and investments to not worry about spending money on travel. It's what they enjoy doing and I won't deny them of paying for us kids to go along.

I'm thinking about looking at business class as well; the thought crossed my mind a few days ago that this flight really could be a long one. My parents have enough reward points to upgrade for business class for free so I've already made sure they'll be flying comfortably. The difference between economy and business class on the airline we're looking at is over $3500; I really think my siblings and I are going to be stuck in economy while my parents can be comfortable in business. I don't expect my parents to pay for everything on this trip so I think I'm just going to tell my siblings that if they want business class, they can shuck out the money for it.

I've also made another executive decision...Speedy is DEFINITELY flying business class. I want to arrive in Rome as rested as possible; not a red-eyed zombie that is pissed off at the world. My prediction is that each of my siblings will follow my mindset; we're different in many ways but we think alike as well.

Yeah business class is nice but I've flown 3 times to Europe economy class and it wasn't unbearable. We arrived and took a nap before heading out. If you wish to pay the difference then go for it but economy class isn't that bad. I luckily had a seat that was the first row going from 4 to 3 in the center. I call this lucky because the middle seat was shut off from being occupied for some reason (USAir) so I and the passenger beside me were able to spread out to the middle seat and I had a bigger advantage because I was on the right side of the plane facing forward and the arm rest beside me could go down where on the left side it couldn't. Only issue was the trays came up from the arm rest. My dh goes business class of these types of trips when the company is paying.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times
My advice is on the way TO Europe if at all possible, fly business/first/envoy so that you can sleep and arrived reasonably rested. Do not expect to get into your hotel for a shower or nap immediately on arrival. (Another advantage to flying business is the availability of an arrivals lounge with showers in a lot of airports. Not FCO though, that place is an armpit.)

On the way back it will be daytime, so the ability to put your seat into a 180 degree recline and get a solid five to seven hours of sleep isn't as important. While business is nice on the return, in my opinion it's not as necessary.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:37 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Speedy,

The other nice thing about a flat or house rental is that you don't need to eat all your meals out. While the idea of eating out for three weeks might be appealing, after a couple of weeks you'll be craving the thought of a home cooked meal and a casual dinner in. In the morning the ability to make coffee or tea and be lazy for a couple of hours instead of having to rush to breakfast before they stop serving is also appealing.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:24 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,650,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
Carry a massive chip on your shoulder. I'm not kidding. My two favourite words in Italy were F*** You.

Italy is full of degenerates and losers. Be polite but very firm with the locals.

It sounds rude, but that country is full of people that want to make your life miserable. I cannot tell you how many people I told to F off.

Just my .02
I'm of that ethnicity and I don't see that. Even the American Hispanics, Middle Easterners, Jews and WASPs who have vacationed there don't see that. However, there are a lot of pompous and arrogant people in Italy. Italy is a country full of peacocks, as my Dad would say, more than it is a country full of degenerates or losers, and people watching doesn't get any better. BTW, there is an Italian word for f*** you. If I had to tell someone in Italy to eff off, I used the Italian word. Not only that, it's a lot more musical than an English "f*** you."

Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,100,785 times
Advice to eat a snack without spend too much, there are caterers in the rialto bridge area where spending little you will get a lot of satisfactions, a traditional delicacy is the Mozzarella in carrozza with anchovies it costs 1.50 euro plus a glass of raboso, to wet the throat more or less it costs the same, then you can start to speak the ancient Venetian slang
-come xea ( read and pronounce as it is written, eccept for the x pronunce it as a soft s )----- what's up
-replay...vago drito------l'm fine
-go da cambiar l'acqua......need toilette

Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,100,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm of that ethnicity and I don't see that. Even the American Hispanics, Middle Easterners, Jews and WASPs who have vacationed there don't see that. However, there are a lot of pompous and arrogant people in Italy. Italy is a country full of peacocks, as my Dad would say, more than it is a country full of degenerates or losers, and people watching doesn't get any better. BTW, there is an Italian word for f*** you. If I had to tell someone in Italy to eff off, I used the Italian word. Not only that, it's a lot more musical than an English "f*** you."

Hey Robert......che si rice?

do you mean -- fun cool -- yeah it sounds good

eehhh vago drito, vago drito

Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,591,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
Carry a massive chip on your shoulder. I'm not kidding. My two favourite words in Italy were F*** You.

Italy is full of degenerates and losers. Be polite but very firm with the locals.

It sounds rude, but that country is full of people that want to make your life miserable. I cannot tell you how many people I told to F off.

Just my .02

We lived in Italy for 7 years (April 2000 - Nov 2007). The only thing I would agree with the quote above is the part about "massive chip on shoulder."

$.02 would be too high a price.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 AM

7 posts, read 6,289 times
Actually the Danieli was once a great choice, however currently she is in need of a makeover. Allot of bad reviews this past year, outdated rooms, musty odors and such. Hotel Metropole is an excellent choice, Jr. suite category with canal view- can't go wrong with this one and the rooms are a nice size. Many hotels in Venice have very small rooms so look at the sizes when making a selection.

Personally I would spend more on the Venice hotel and less on the Florence one, some great choices in Florence for less $$$$$.
JAS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or