Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,086,955 times

Advertisements

If you're going to be traveling in a group of six, I would suggest renting a minivan and exploring Veneto for two or three days. Rome and Florence are bad cities to drive in, and obviously you're not going to drive around Venice, but I would encourage looking into making Venice a day trip and driving around Veneto for the other day or two.

I don't see how shelling out $3500 extra is appropriate for what would amount to no more than a day in the air, unless you make over $250,000 (or is it $150,000?) a year.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,665,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
If you're going to be traveling in a group of six, I would suggest renting a minivan and exploring Veneto for two or three days. Rome and Florence are bad cities to drive in, and obviously you're not going to drive around Venice, but I would encourage looking into making Venice a day trip and driving around Veneto for the other day or two.

I don't see how shelling out $3500 extra is appropriate for what would amount to no more than a day in the air, unless you make over $250,000 (or is it $150,000?) a year.
I have everything pretty well booked as of this point in time. There are so many beautiful places to explore in Italy that, for this trip at least, we're sticking to the "big three" instead of venturing off into other areas. If I come back in a few years, I'm going to make a concerted effort to go see smaller places on the Amalfi coast. Besides, renting a vehicle just sounds like a pain. In Rome we'll probably use cabs and/or public transportation to get around.

The only reason I decided to fly business class was because the seat folds out into a bed. If I'm flying in a plane for over 10 hours, I really don't want to be sitting upright for that duration. If I can get a few hours of sleep in to and from our destination, I'd be a much happier camper. I don't want to get to Rome and feel like a cranky zombie that has no energy or ambition; $3500 isn't too bad if I can get sleep. We've all came to the same conclusion independently.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM

548 posts, read 1,977,013 times
If you do go back, definitely do Amalfi. Maybe a trip from Amalfi then to southern Italy. Cruise might be good too that visits Amalfi area for more than a day and visits other areas as well. Rome you need nothing more than walking and public transportation. Your mom is young not much older than me but your dad might appreciate a cab or two if he gets tired.

Be sure to come back after the trip and post your reactions. I'd love the read them.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,479,944 times
Jsut got back from my second trip to Italy. Both were two weeks. I think the minimum for Rome is five days. And if you are landing in Rome that may not be enough. Personally, I think 4 days in Venice is too long. I did that and wished it was two days. For a twelve day trip I would spend 6 in Rome and then 6 in a town like Lucca. Lucca is a nice medieval town on the edge of Tuscanny. You can train to Cinque Terre or Florence in about an hour. Pisa is a twenty minute drive away. You also get a different flavor of Italy from staying in only big cities.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:58 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,044,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
For a twelve day trip I would spend 6 in Rome and then 6 in a town like Lucca. Lucca is a nice medieval town on the edge of Tuscanny. You can train to Cinque Terre or Florence in about an hour. Pisa is a twenty minute drive away. You also get a different flavor of Italy from staying in only big cities.
It all depends on a person's taste and preference, of course, so this is only MY own opinion and experience: six days in Lucca would drive me bonkers. Lucca is NOT what I would call a true small town Italy, I know this because for seven years, I lived 120 miles away in a town double the size of Lucca but with less than half of the population. Lucca is a town in size and a city in population density. If anyone asked me where to stay to experience an authentic feel of Italian life, Lucca would NOT be a name at the top of my head. Lucca has long been one of the top tourist destinations in Italy, with tourism its largest source of income, and at any given weekend in the high season, there would be almost as many tourists as local residents in the centro storico. One would only need no more than a day to see Lucca, so it's not at all logical to use it as a base while taking a train to visit Cinque Terre or Florence where one would have to stay at least an overnight in each location.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 11-30-2012 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 03:50 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,479,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
It all depends on a person's taste and preference, of course, so this is only MY own opinion and experience: six days in Lucca would drive me bonkers. Lucca is NOT what I would call a true small town Italy, I know this because for seven years, I lived 120 miles away in a town double the size of Lucca but with less than half of the population. Lucca is a town in size and a city in population density. If anyone asked me where to stay to experience an authentic feel of Italian life, Lucca would NOT be a name at the top of my head. Lucca has long been one of the top tourist destinations in Italy, with tourism its largest source of income, and at any given weekend in the high season, there would be almost as many tourists as local residents in the centro storico. One would only need no more than a day to see Lucca, so it's not at all logical to use it as a base while taking a train to visit Cinque Terre or Florence where one would have to stay at least an overnight in each location.
Like you say everyone has different tastes. However, I never said anything about Lucca being per se "authentic" italian life. Yes it is touristy. But not nearly as touristy as Venice. I found it a logical choice (stayed for 5 days) to do day visits to Cinque Terre, Pisa and Florence and I did not need to stay over at those locations. For me a one hour train ride is not a big deal partly because I enjoty them. After the hecticness of Rome I found Lucca's pace a much welcomed change.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,310,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
St. Regis Rome = $470/ night, five rooms $2350, five nights total- $11,750
St. Regis Florence = $760/ night, five rooms $3800, four nights total- $15,200
Westin Europa & Regina Venice = $380/ night, five rooms $1900, two nights- $3800
__________________________________________________ _________________________
$30,750 total for accommodations
At this point, sorry for coming off like a jerk but your "peaockery" is now annoying. Most of your audience doesn't have this kind of money to spend, or p-iss away at hotels, (St. Regises - $460 a night, $760 a night, yada yada) so I'm wondering how much you need our advice since you're a college-trained engineer who has the internet at your disposal and your family seems to be (borderline) affluent. I'm also well-educated, but God dang it, it's 70 Euros at the 4-star Tryp Oriente in Lisbon or 80 Euros at a Holiday Inn outside of Venice, and on and on. If I can get 4-stars with a buffet breakfast for under 100 Euros and not leave money on the table, which is doable if you look, then I'm happy. You can too.

Instead of canvassing us ad nauseum, it sounds like you also have the money, and the smarts, to both use the web and employ a travel consultant well-versed in Italian travel. I'm sure there's such a place in PHX, especially in Scottsdale. If not, you can find them in SoCal and they probably have an 800 number. So quit grand-standing and name-dropping, and head to a travel consultant.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 12-02-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,665,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
At this point, sorry for coming off like a jerk but your "peaockery" is now annoying. Most of your audience doesn't have this kind of money to spend, or p-iss away at hotels, (St. Regises - $460 a night, $760 a night, yada yada) so I'm wondering how much you need our advice since you're a college-trained engineer who has the internet at your disposal and your family seems to be (borderline) affluent. I'm also well-educated, but God dang it, it's 70 Euros at the 4-star Tryp Oriente in Lisbon or 80 Euros at a Holiday Inn outside of Venice, and on and on. If I can get 4-stars with a buffet breakfast for under 100 Euros and not leave money on the table, which is doable if you look, then I'm happy. You can too.

Instead of canvassing us ad nauseum, it sounds like you also have the money, and the smarts, to both use the web and employ a travel consultant well-versed in Italian travel. I'm sure there's such a place in PHX, especially in Scottsdale. If not, you can find them in SoCal and they probably have an 800 number. So quit grand-standing and name-dropping, and head to the travel consultant.
Sorry you're getting all bent out of shape but did you even look when I last responded to this thread? Two weeks ago. Did you notice that two of the hotel suggestions in this thread are ones I actually decided to book? Did you also know that I asked for restaurant suggestions and various other items?

I had legitimate questions and lasted I checked, this is a FORUM where we are each allowed equal opportunity to ask for opinions. Who CARES what I have to spend? I'm merely trying to formulate a rough budget idea; why in the HELL would I care what you thought of my travel accommodations?! I don't.

I do have the internet at my disposal; last I checked, City-Data is an internet website.

Obviously you're reading much more into this thread than anyone else and frankly, you're the one coming off as a rude jerk. All I'm trying to do is plan an enjoyable trip, of which I'll post pictures on the travel forum when I get back and give some reviews of various hotels and restaurants to HELP other travelers thinking of going to Italy. That's all I was ever asking for.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,086,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Jsut got back from my second trip to Italy. Both were two weeks. I think the minimum for Rome is five days. And if you are landing in Rome that may not be enough. Personally, I think 4 days in Venice is too long. I did that and wished it was two days. For a twelve day trip I would spend 6 in Rome and then 6 in a town like Lucca. Lucca is a nice medieval town on the edge of Tuscanny. You can train to Cinque Terre or Florence in about an hour. Pisa is a twenty minute drive away. You also get a different flavor of Italy from staying in only big cities.
Interesting. I've heard people say that 5 days was plenty for Rome, but nobody who would say that 4 days is too short for Venice

I would think that you get a limited taste of any country only staying in big cities. I've always made it a point to visit less-trodden, smaller places in addition to large cities and capitals. Imagine how the experience of somebody who has only visited New York, Los Angeles, and Washington must be.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:00 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,310,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I had legitimate questions and lasted I checked, this is a FORUM where we are each allowed equal opportunity to ask for opinions. Who CARES what I have to spend? I'm merely trying to formulate a rough budget idea; why in the HELL would I care what you thought of my travel accommodations?! I don't.
To the bold, EXACTLY. We DON'T care to keep watching your evolving itemized high-end budget for this trip to Italy.

Many people responded with enthusiastic help offering a baseline of advice aimed at the "top of the bell shaped" curve representing a middle- to upper-middle class American going to Europe. Then, you convey this cavalier "I don't do 150 Euro hotels." Sometimes, it what's not said, instead of what is said.

I'm sure that, with that kind of budget, you can buy yourself a "fabulous" trip to Italy for you and your loved ones. Hanging out with the "salt of the earth" Italians might be culture shock for you. Better to see it from the protected confines of a patrician itinerary. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.