U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,642,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Quebec City is my favourite city in North America. It's a wonderful place and I've only been there in the middle of summer. Maybe next fall, we'll drive up... There's a whole winter festival thing too.

Funny story: when I went, we ate at the McDonalds on Grande Allee (stayed a week right next to there, then across the river in Levis) right outside the citadel. A girl running the counter spoke no English and needed help. The only French speakers in my party spoke poor continental French, which is a bit different than Quebec-French, like Mexican Spanish is different from Spain-Spanish. The funny part is that Grande Allee right there is one of the most touristy parts of town!
I've eaten there, too! At the one near the government center/entrance to Old Quebec, and at the one on Grande Allee past the Universite de Laval, where it gets real wide. When you're bewildered as to the expensive choices in Old Quebec, McDonalds it is. I spoke French to them, but it did appear that English was definitely not their first language. If transiting between Quebec City and Montreal on the highway, it is even less likely to find American speakers in the small town fast food outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:58 PM

216 posts, read 360,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Thanks for the train info. After I (stupidly) asked about train service, I realized I could google it myself. Is Quebec really that French? No bilingual signage/menus etc.? I was able to around Paris pretty well and found lots of English speakers. Not so in Quebec? I have a good grounding in Spanish so that helps somewhat.
This could open up a huge can of worms with us Canadians.....

Double standard going on in quebec with the language thing. Students in Quebec don't need to learn english, but students everywhere else must learn French - even though more kids are going to be speaking mandarin, hindi, urdu, spanish, arabic, farsi, or tagalog as a second language.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 AM

21,958 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post

Double standard going on in quebec with the language thing. Students in Quebec don't need to learn english, but students everywhere else must learn French - even though more kids are going to be speaking mandarin, hindi, urdu, spanish, arabic, farsi, or tagalog as a second language.
Bzzz! Sorry, wrong answer!

Quebec has pretty much the highest requirements for the second language (in its case - English) of any Canadian province.

English is mandatory every single year in elementary school starting in Grade 1. And you have to take English four of your five years in high school in order to get your diploma.

Source: Me. My kids are in public French schools in Quebec. Like... sitting at their desks right now as I write this.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post

*******s! How many kids (whose parents are not of these ethnic origins) in Vancouver actually end up speaking any of these languages as a second language???? Gimme a break.

The number of "anglos" in Vancouver who can pronounce even the most basic phrases in any Asian language (beyong Ni Hao and M'goy) is infinitesimal.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 AM

233 posts, read 389,015 times
Quebec City is absolutely beautiful. I used to live in New York on the border of Canada, and I visited often with my family. The Chateau Frontenac and the other architecture is stunning, I could have stared all day at the pretty buildings.

Montreal is very beautiful as well. It's bigger and there is a lot more shopping there. I loved the underground city, and it's nice to just go and see.

See both if you can do it, it's very worth it. Happy travels

Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 PM

812 posts, read 1,653,992 times
We were just in Quebec after our cruise last month. I love it! We had a car this time to drive out towards Montmorency Falls and this amazing cathredal St Anne de Beaupre! I got an awesome prepay deal for the Frontenac!!! It was so nice to just walk out of the hotel and have access to the Petit Champlain. We stayed at the Hilton last trip and the walk wasn't bad but after staying at the Frontenac I am spoiled.

We went about 5 years ago and flew into Montreal. Spent a few days then took Via Rail to QC and spent 2 nights there before returning for another few nights in Montreal before flying home. We didn't have a car for that entire trip.

We never experienced any problems and everyone was helpful and friendly. Heck if I said Bonjour too well I would get long explanations in French and then have to say "excuse me I don't speak French!" You won't be disappointed either way!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
I agree with visiting both. They are in some ways similar and in other ways as different as night and day.

You'll find people in both cities who don't want to speak English (even though you know they can) and others who will go out of their way to be helpful.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:02 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
Split the difference. Go to Trois Rivieres, a city of 150,000 midway between the two, on the St. Lawrence. Trois Rivieres was the second city in Quebec, only 15 years younger than Quebec City. It is real, genuine French Canada in every way that Quebec City is, and more so than Montreal. Tourists are rare there, and the locals will be delighted that you chose to visit their city.

Attractions and Activities | Trois-Rivieres Tourism - Quebec - Canada

Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,181,490 times
Thanks everyone, for all the great input. Still mulling it over, but absolutely plan to visit both and maybe now even Trois Rivieres. So many wonderful choices to make. I really appreciate all the advice and input.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Thanks everyone, for all the great input. Still mulling it over, but absolutely plan to visit both and maybe now even Trois Rivieres. So many wonderful choices to make. I really appreciate all the advice and input.
Trois-Rivières is ok, but don't forsake either Quebec City or Montreal to go there. My opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel