U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 12:32 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,979,061 times

Advertisements

Many French facial care products and skin creams are much cheaper at French pharmacies than they are over here in North America ---- about 1/3 of the price. Also, some French makeup, like Bourjois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 03:23 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Truffles in Croatia. Huge white truffles in olive oil so you can get them back into the US (if they aren't in olive oil you can't bring them in ) Dirt cheap at about $60/lb.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
In my opinion the FRESH olive oil in italy is the best, too. Greece for example is buying lots of olives from the italians and sell it as olive oil from greece. FRESH olive oil is a bit expensive, right. But if you buy or choose the right one - you will fall in love with it!!! Forget Bertolli :-)
Yes. I read articles, maybe one a year, on how other countries (Italy is one) will dilute olive oil with other, cheaper and not healthy, oils. Greek olive oil and California olive oils are supposed to be genuine because there are laws against diluting it and they are tested. Generally, you get what you pay for. I see Colavita says they are a company, family owned, that bottles right at the sight so they seem as though they are authentic. They have a newer 'sweet' Fruttato version out, too. There is a brand, ARIA, which is Greek, which won awards, but I may have a rancid bottle. There is another, EVOO, from Chile that might be the real thing. They say that the product is bottled within a couple of hours.

I think, when I open the Fruttato Colavita, that may be my main oil. These are all extra virgin and found in my local supermarket.

You are right about 'Forget Bertolli'. Generally, if the price is not high, the oil may be diluted, and Italian law evidently allows for this. Either that, or there is no inspection.

People are gravitating to olive oil because it is a heart healthy oil and the food industry is poisoning us by diluting with what may as well be axle grease. How do they get away with this?

I never had fresh olive oil, but would rather go on an olive oil tasting tour than a wine tour. At least you would be familiar with the different olives and how the oil SHOULD taste. I read an article that claimed to have blind tasted olive oils with a bunch of Americans, and people actually liked the taste of the RANCID oils better - we are so used to eating cr@p that the FDA inspectors allow into this country - or perhaps there should be an expiration date on the bottles.

Last edited by goldengrain; 10-21-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 04:34 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
When I say "nada" it just means I don't know of anything. I'm not cultured enough to tell olive oil from canola, let alone other olive oils.
Well, canola gives me the runs sometimes - which is good, sometimes.

Olive oil is good if you are not cooking on a high flame because it will burn at high temperatures. It is also monosaturated, which is heart healthy. Canola is good for cooking at higher temps, and some also say it is heart healthy, but there are others who say it is very bad for your body. I have not followed up on that.

The food industry seems to have government agencies in the palms of their hands. They like it when we don't know things. Olive oil - the good stuff - was out of my price range when I was younger and probably is for a lot of people.

Phony olive oil and our genetically engineered flavorless tomatoes are really very annoying to me. There are people (actually condo building associations) in New York who have their tomatoes flown in from a foriegn country, because it is so hard to find a good tomato in the states. I still like Campari, the kind of really big cherry type tomatoes that are sold in those clear clamshells. I can't even get a plum tomato here that has flavor anymore.

I will probably put in a small plot of heirloom tomatoes. There are companies that sell seeds and I once bought one nice Brandywine plant at Lowes for about six bucks.

Thanks for listening to me blab on and on and on.

Last edited by goldengrain; 10-21-2012 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or