U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 AM

6,153 posts, read 6,321,355 times

Advertisements

I just can not bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars on a suitcase. I have some no-name $30 24inch softside that works ok for me. The only problem is when work takes me to Europe. There I often have to take the train. In addition to the 26inch I also have a flight bag I have to carry. Often I will leave the 26inch home and use my $9 gym bag. It sits on top of my flight bag which has wheels and a long handle. I am looking for a 22inch which will replace both the gym bag and the flight bag. I keep waiting for Swiss Gear luggage to go on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,184,300 times
I bought a Swiss Gear fabric suitcase years ago. It's still going but it's been through a ringer or 10. It's ripped, scuffed, zippers are missing, and it's no longer bright red. It's well traveled and looks the part. Baggage 'handlers' don't give one damn about your bags so you really have to buy with that in mind. If you watch them on the runway they toss everything into carts without a care. Half the bags crash onto the ground. Once in Atlanta I watched a bag fall off onto the taxi way and was left behind. Countless cars and baggage people drove past that bag without even bother to check what it was. ('security') I'll be going with a hard shell case next with a lock.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 AM

14,247 posts, read 14,134,918 times
Given how roughly they handle your luggage as it gets put on and off a plane, don't go for anything too fancy!

I can still remember seeing my case being thrown across the tarmac at a well known American airport!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 AM

8,576 posts, read 11,067,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I just can not bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars on a suitcase. I have some no-name $30 24inch softside that works ok for me. The only problem is when work takes me to Europe. There I often have to take the train. In addition to the 26inch I also have a flight bag I have to carry. Often I will leave the 26inch home and use my $9 gym bag. It sits on top of my flight bag which has wheels and a long handle. I am looking for a 22inch which will replace both the gym bag and the flight bag. I keep waiting for Swiss Gear luggage to go on sale.
If you don't have to have wheels, go with RedOxx. Air Boss is the best bag I've ever owned hands down.

As for the OP, for what you need, hit Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc. You'll find a good bag that will fit exactly what you need and stay in your budget. You can search the internet till you go blue, but you'll be better off hitting the clearance department store.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 AM

14,370 posts, read 7,916,313 times
We like to travel with just our Samsonite Carry on luggage. Sometimes the airlines give us a hard time about the size but they always fit in the over head bins. We've had to store them under the plane when island hopping and we have a bright colored tape around the handles to help us find them quickly in a sea of look alike luggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel