U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,931,431 times

Advertisements

We will be traveling within the next month and need a few new suitcases. We're looking at Travel Pro and also Samsonite. Any recommendations on quality brands that you trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,643,045 times
I only ever trust my solid sided suitcase, I've had too many material cases rip before. I have a case made by a company called Carlton which has traveled many miles and is still holding up well. I would go with a Samsonite which seems to be similar.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 PM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I only ever trust my solid sided suitcase, I've had too many material cases rip before. I have a case made by a company called Carlton which has traveled many miles and is still holding up well. I would go with a Samsonite which seems to be similar.
I too think that Samsonite is a good brand.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:12 PM

8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
The answer depends dramatically on a few questions.

How much do you travel?

What size luggage do you need? Are you checking bags, or carry on only?

What's your budget?

With a bit more info there's probably better answers.

The short catch all is go to somewhere like Marshall's that has decent luggage usually deeply discounted.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
We will be traveling within the next month and need a few new suitcases. We're looking at Travel Pro and also Samsonite. Any recommendations on quality brands that you trust.

I used to travel 200-250 night per year on business. My rule was - Go to Marshall's or TJ Maxx and find the best deal on something that would work for you ... and NEVER spend over $25-35. And for that, I got a florescent blue and green bag that was well. easy to spot and nearly indestructible as I used it for ten years.

My siblings did NOT like the looks of it and bought be a $200+ suit bag from Samsonite. Within a few months, it has beat up to hell. It was pretty durable but not in the same league.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,931,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The answer depends dramatically on a few questions.

How much do you travel?

What size luggage do you need? Are you checking bags, or carry on only?

What's your budget?

With a bit more info there's probably better answers.

The short catch all is go to somewhere like Marshall's that has decent luggage usually deeply discounted.
We don't travel much on airplanes, however this trip we will be flying to Florida. We do however travel quite a bit by car during summer. Don't want to spend more than $100 or so on a suitcase. A 25' is what we're looking for. Actually 2 of them. I've been on overstock, ebags and a few other sites as there are good deals, but not sure of quality. Don't want anything cheap but something that will last for awhile.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,056,457 times
I've had luck with Swiss Gear luggage from Target, which is close to your price point. Also check out costco.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,587,597 times
I bought a Mandarina Duck wheeled luggage 12 years ago (somewhere in the $200 range then.) After hundreds of trips in buses, planes, trains, freighter, and automobiles that took us through almost 60 countries and many extreme climates, there is still not a thing wrong with it. My husband had to replace his luggage a couple of times, but mine still looks the same.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,353,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
Interesting that you should ask that question just now, as I have spent the last few days going blind looking at thousands of pieces of luggage on the internet for a foreign trip.

Here is what I finally bought today after sorting through all the fine print, customer reviews, bad photos, and insipid catalog descriptions:

It is the Delsey Helium 26in. 4 Wheel Trolley

And here is why I bought it:

It has an integrated combination lock. This means that the two hard sides clasp and lock together without a zipper closure. Zippers and their glued/sewn fabric attachment are a huge fail for a multitude of reasons.

In order to pry this suitcase open it would take time and patience. Airline thieves ~cough~ will quickly move on to more easily pilfered luggage.

It has no exterior protrusions. No pockets, gegaws, zips, flaps or other stuff that will get snagged and caught up on transit equipment ripping up the luggage.

It is hardsided. I'm done forever with any kind of fabric luggage. It just does not hold up to the kind of wanton abuse that airlines apply to passenger luggage.

It cost $110.99. Really good deal. Nice medium size, not too big, not too small.

I'm going to Ecuador for a month in this one suitcase.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:27 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

It has no exterior protrusions.
Except for the wheels.

I know I'm terribly old-fashioned, but I just can't quite make the jump to wheelie luggage, especially when the wheels stick out of an overhead bin or underneath your seat, which is a definite possibility in a smaller jet--sometimes, depending on the suitcase and/or passenger load, even in a larger plane.

The integrated locking design sounds great as long as it aligns. The hard side sounds great as long as it does not crack.

I know I'm old school but I've been using the same REI Tourlite backpack for at least 10 years now (they don't make this model anymore) and it is in great shape. It is fabric, but it is very tough. Never had a problem with the zippers. It can convert to hand-carry suitcase if I want it to, but has no wheels. I've checked it before, but I tend to prefer carryon. I can live out of this pack for about 3 weeks, I usually do laundry once.

I'm pushing 60. I know I can't go on like this forever.

I noticed that REI's current version of Tourlite now comes with wheels. (And they are $100-$200 more expensive than what I paid.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel