Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 AM

32 posts, read 137,395 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are thinking of doing a 5 day vacation in Dec/Jan to some warm place... So far, we have Aruba, Bahamas (Atlantis) or maybe a cruise on the list.

The main consideration is, we would like to be able to do things with our kids (ages 5 and 2). Aruba sounds nice in this regard with its butterfly farm, ostrich farm, the caves etc. But we are really open to suggestions.

We live on the East Coast, and are looking at destinations that are not more than 8 hours away. We have already been to the Florida Keys and are looking for a different place this time. It need not necessarily have beaches, as long as it is warm enough for the kids to do something outdoors.

Thanks!
AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
How about the Tampa area? Easy to get to, nice beaches and plenty of stuff to do w/ little ones. They have a great zoo there and also the Clearwater Marine Aquarium where Winter the dolphin (from the movie Dolphin Tale) is housed along with other marine animals.

We stayed at St. Pete Beach in March with our two kids (ages 7 & 2) and had a great time. We did both the zoo and aquarium and also rented a speedboat one day to ride around the waterways and hang out on Shell Key. All in all it was a great trip and much easier logistically than the Caribbean.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 AM

7 posts, read 15,537 times
Yes, you choose the right place as you have two kids with you and this place is not so far from your home. Enjoy your trip

Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the replies. Tampa is a good suggestion, but we have already been to most parts of Florida - Tampa, Miami, Orlando etc.

How is Cancun? I have been reading on previous posts where families with kids have been to Cancun and enjoyed it. I do get the feeling that Cancun is more "American" than the rest of Mexico, but that's okay...

Also, this is a celebration of our ten year anniversary. So we would like to pick a place that is, at least the teensiest bit exotic

Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Have you ever been to Discovery Cove in Orlando? That place is fabulous! Took grandchildren and had a fantastic time.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieMommy View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are thinking of doing a 5 day vacation in Dec/Jan to some warm place... So far, we have Aruba, Bahamas (Atlantis) or maybe a cruise on the list.

The main consideration is, we would like to be able to do things with our kids (ages 5 and 2). Aruba sounds nice in this regard with its butterfly farm, ostrich farm, the caves etc. But we are really open to suggestions.

We live on the East Coast, and are looking at destinations that are not more than 8 hours away. We have already been to the Florida Keys and are looking for a different place this time. It need not necessarily have beaches, as long as it is warm enough for the kids to do something outdoors.

Thanks!
AJ
Hi, I have a 2 and a 5 year old too and if I were you and had the money, I would do Atlantis. It's set up for families and has two very important requirements, especially if you have a toddler 1) lots of fun options to keep everyone entertained (pools, beach, aquariums etc.) and 2) it's all right there and requires little effort on your part -- in contrast to other vacation options -- to make those activities happen. And if the little one needs to nap in the afternoon, you can go take a snooze with him/her and your husband can hang at the beach/pools with the 5 year old.

Having the 2 year old in the mix means you need to be flexible and make it easy on yourselves so you actually have a chance to enjoy your time together... that's the biggest lesson I've learned when traveling with our 5 and 2 year old.

Atlantis gives you many choices for accommodations to which is nice.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2012, 12:30 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieMommy View Post
Thanks for the replies. Tampa is a good suggestion, but we have already been to most parts of Florida - Tampa, Miami, Orlando etc.

How is Cancun? I have been reading on previous posts where families with kids have been to Cancun and enjoyed it. I do get the feeling that Cancun is more "American" than the rest of Mexico, but that's okay...

Also, this is a celebration of our ten year anniversary. So we would like to pick a place that is, at least the teensiest bit exotic
I'm not much of a fan of the big AIs or the Cancun scene, but things mellow out nicely as you head south into Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen & Tulum. I have 2 kids who will be 3 & 8 in the spring and we're considering a condo rental in Playa with a rental car to explore the area. My wife and I did Tulum sans kiddos a few years back and loved it. The beaches there are second to none!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Personally I think Atlantis is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive.

Do you have passports for all of you? You'll need them if flying anywhere outside the US other than the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico.

If it were me I'd do a Disney cruise as long as your youngest is completely potty trained.

PS--Kids would be bored silly in Tulum.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Hubby and I are discussing, and all your advice is much appreciated Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel